Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 How to Draft a Playoff Pool Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  18:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What is the best way to go about drafting players for a playoff pool? Diversify or all the eggs in one basket?

Choices:

Draft all from one or two teams
Spread it out between three to four teams
Cut the risks and go with six teams
Draft from top teams, and make some risk choices
Pick up players from every team
Other (what?)

Edited by - Alex on 02/05/2008 18:07:19

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  19:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I ask is because I am heading soon in to the home stretch of my pool, and am currently in transition mode. I am stacking up on Ducks (I own Giggy, Getzlaf, Perry and Pronger and plan on picking up Teemu and Neids at next to no cost) and have Alfie, Spezza, Nabokov, Holmstrom and Zetterberg.

However, I am slighlty worried as my brother is strong on Detroit (Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski). Last year my dad stacked up as much as he could on Detroit (Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom) Ottawa (Alfredsson, Redden) and the Ducks (Pronger, Neidermayer, Selanne)

It seemed to work for him, he won by a lot. I am running that route this year, I still have room to pick up Fisher, Cheechoo and many other strong guys in the top 4. I am worried though about not having any representation in the underdog teams that do oh so well in the playoffs. For gosh sakes, my own Habs do not even crack my fantasy roster? What to do? What do you guys generally do? I have time on this one...

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pick up Chelios, he's always amazing in the playoffs.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 02/07/2008 16:06:59
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, maybe try getting a mix of different teams here. Top teams however. Who do you feel can go far. Don't stack up on one team however, because if their gone your screwed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  14:43:28  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Alex, maybe try getting a mix of different teams here. Top teams however. Who do you feel can go far. Don't stack up on one team however, because if their gone your screwed.

1. Pick the 4 teams you think would go the furthest.
2. Pick the highest point producer available from the teams identified.
3. Amongst equally ranked players, pick the bigger player. Let's say you rank Briere and Heatley equally and unsure which on to pick. Pick Heatley. The playoffs are more rugged and physical.

It also depends on how many players are on your team and pool format.

Also look at match ups. Last year, I avoided Dallas and Van. The match up was so tight that whomever wins the series ends up being so beat up that they'll lose the next round. Guess where the top scorers of each team (DAL and VAN) ended up?

As of right now, without knowing the match ups, I'd stock up ANA, DET, OT and PHI players. I believe 2 of these are the teams that will go through to the finals.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nash, I would have these guys before Chelios

Alfie
Heatley
Spezza
Fisher
Datsyuk
Holmstrom
Zetterberg
Perry
Getzlaf
Selanne
Kunitz
Morrow
Ribeiro
Lehtinen
Kovalev
Plekanec
Koivu
Thornton
Cheechoo ?
Marleau ?
Richards
Gagne
Elias
Parise

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's tough to do this now, but also consider matchups - almost every playoffs, a strong contender is eliminated in the first/second round just because they came against an even stronger contender (see Pittsburgh last year, for instance).

Think of how the teams will finish in ranking; draw up a chart of matchups - eventual winner. Pick key players from those top four teams, and maybe add a couple of top players from potential upset teams (or second rounders) to hedge your bets a bit.

Last year I won the pool with only 1 Duck and 3 Sens, from a total of 16 players. The key was having Buffalo and Detroit players, plus a guy on the top line of an upset team (Nylander/NYR). Remember: usually, a ton of goals are not scored in the finals, and very often it goes low scoring and quick. The key is the third round - you have 75% of your players in the third round, you should be the winner.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you get lucky by going with some dark horses. The year Florida made it to the finals against Colorado, I was the only one in the pool with Florida players ( I had 5 of them). I won that pool by a large margin.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page