Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Best rivalry? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tmlfan46
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  20:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What two NHL teams have the biggest rivalry?

Choices:

Toronto and Montreal
Toronto and Ottawa
Toronto and Vancouver
Calgary and Edmonton
Vancouver and Colorado
Colorado and Detroit
NYR and NYI
Vanocuver and Calgary

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  21:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto and Vancouver have a rivalry?
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  21:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Historically, I don't think any rivalry surpasses the Toronto-Montreal one.

Ottawa and Philly have an intense one too, especially since that huge brawl about 5 years ago. Atlanta and Pittsburgh have a good one too.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5068
( )

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  22:58:37  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

Toronto and Vancouver have a rivalry?

Well, they used to. Now since their only seeing each other once every three years it has kind of dissapeared. The reason for the rivalry is the amount of Leaf fans in Vancouver (I don't know if you've ever been to a Canucks/Leaf game but it is intense). The stadium was usually split nearly 50-50 between fans, but I doubt if the players had a rivalry at all.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  23:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely TOR and MON. But they have history on their side.

I live in Van and I have to say that the Vancouver/Calgary rivalry is growing and I think it may have surpassed the CGY vs. EDM one. I've been to games in Calgary and talk to my friends there too and they say that the edmonton/calgary rivalry is nearly dead now. I can tell you I don't know a lot of people in Vancouver who are Flames fans but there is no problem finding Edmonton, Toronto or Montreal fans here.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  06:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmonton Calgary. Nothing can beat watching to mediocore teams that play just down the road from each other. This guys hate eachother & the fans hate each other even more.
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  09:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TMLFAN.Do you have spats with your aunt in Vancouver?????.....There's NO VAN/TOR rivalry and there's NO Santa Clause (He's not REAL,like SPIDERMAN or STOMPIN' TOM...........He's like PARIS HILTON......NOT REAL)

Sorry guest 5068.......The high # of Leaf fans at Canucks games doesn't make it a rivalry.If that was the case , Then Toronto would have rivalries with Edmonton,Calgary,Montreal,Ottawa and Buffalo.

I'd say CAL/EDM . Even though it was waning for a few years , it's heating up in light of their respective Cup Finals appearances.
TOR/OTT would be a close 2nd , surpassing the historical TOR/MTL rivalry (You don't hear any Habs booed like Alfedsson at the A/C Center) These teams HATE each other . SENS' regular season dominance vs LEAFS 'playoff dominance .
COL/DET..........fizzled, done , gone.
NYR/NYI...........not bad.
VAN/COL.........only for the Bertuzzi" check"
VAN/CAL..........pickin' up steam.

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Calgary and Edmonton because they're both in Alberta.

Although, if we are talking historically, it's gotta be Toronto and Montreal.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/09/2007 16:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Toronto Boston? They have history on their side aswell and its probably the biggest rivalry for Toronto during this season.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4272
( )

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:50:58  Reply with Quote
What about Dallas - Edmonton?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  22:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas and Edmonton is less of a rivalry that it's Edmonton will alway have a sour taste for Dallas for the years of play off abuse we took at the hands of the Stars.

I say Edmonton/Calgary is still pretty strong. All you have to do is be at the Saddledome or Rexall Place during one of those games and you would understand that. The rivalry is not dead. Not even close.
Go to Top of Page

jmsmorris
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  18:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmlfan46

No rivalry comes close to passing the historical and modern intensity of Toronto-Montreal.
Go to Top of Page

Azeman
Top Prospect

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  10:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when Detroit and colorado play its bound to be a close game.all the other rivalres are just plain gone now. Usally when montreal and toronto play now its just a boring game with no fights or penelties. Usally one team blows out the other

GO WINGS GO!!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  14:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Ottawa and Buffalo have a pretty good rivalry

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  15:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya but Toronto and montreal have the best
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  16:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got Van/Cal and Van/Col but what about Van/Min talk about intense

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

what about Van/Min talk about intense

The Minne-Van! Hahahaha
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like Leafs and Habs baby!!!

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  20:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TO and the Habs obviously have the historic factor but it is nowhere near as intense a rivalry now as it was from the 70's back. Calgary - Edmonton is good. i think i give the nod to the New Yorks though. Their fans are, well...New Yorkers and their games are battles. Ask Ryan Smyth heheheheheh. He just got a taste of it the other night.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  03:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto vs Montreal was a classic but now they play them so many times its not any more.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

Nothing like Leafs and Habs baby!!!

Yep, both used to be good teams. But the best rivalry in the NHL can be summed up this way:

TML - MTL
Toronto is just a messed up version of Montreal

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/23/2007 17:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Lrocker
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about NJ and fans that like good hockey?

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  18:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

what about Van/Min talk about intense

The Minne-Van! Hahahaha

The minne-van lol MIK well i said MTL-TOR i think
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  19:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for TOR-OTT becuase these teams and fans HATE eachother, like really if I saw a guy walking down the streets of Toronto with a sens jersey on, you'd have to hold me back...

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  14:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about "None of the Above"?
There are no great rivalries in hockey any more. What were once great rivalries are now old hat. Edmonton vs. Calgary, Toronto vs. Montreal, Toronto vs. Ottawa, NYI vs. NYR... they all happen so often that it's actually getting boring. Give me 3 or 4 games of any of the above match ups per season and I'll watch them all, but 8 times? Yawn.
It's another aspect of the game that Buttman has ripped the heart out of. Did he really think he's generate "rivalries" when 40% percent of the season is spent against 4 teams? And teams are so equal these days that the games are usually 1 or 2 goal games, and there are usually only 4 or 5 goals scored per game. Granted, that should be exciting, but not when each game is a carbon copy of the last one they played.
I watch as many NHL games as I can, and naturally Vancouver vs. anyone gets me excited, but when I see another match up called "The Battle of Alberta (#473) or the Battle of Ontario, I usually grab a big pail of Metamucil and get ready to produce an even bigger pile of sh*t than Buttman is rendering.
The only other "rivalry" that I actually look forward to is Ovechkin vs. Crosby. Mind you, I would love to see a few Luongo vs. Brodeur games!

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more with you about the 8 games! And also when they play like 5 times in about a month period (Toronto-Boston early in the year), that's just beyond silly.
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Dallas and Edmonton is less of a rivalry that it's Edmonton will alway have a sour taste for Dallas for the years of play off abuse we took at the hands of the Stars.

I say Edmonton/Calgary is still pretty strong. All you have to do is be at the Saddledome or Rexall Place during one of those games and you would understand that. The rivalry is not dead. Not even close.

The Edmonton-Calgary rival will not die.

Oilers Rule!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ddeathblade
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Edmonton-Calgary. The amount of testosterone when they're playing is amazing. They play ferociously, and are extremely violent. Watch an Oilers-Flames game and anyone can tell that they play to the extreme.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wild and Canucks have the best rivalry I think
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

The Wild and Canucks have the best rivalry I think

not as much as the Edmonton Calgary one

Oilers Rule!!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  17:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston - Montreal is a good rivalry.

Philadelphia - Pittsburgh isn't bad either. Battle of PA!

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  17:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like tor-mtl and col-det

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  17:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NIce topic, glad it got revived

My vote is obviously Habs Leafs. In modern day NHL I would say Sens Leafs though. Guess everyone hates the Buds, including Hog Town itself...

And I can not recall a rivalry featuring the Cancuks and Leafs.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest0901
( )

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  17:51:31  Reply with Quote
I agree that there are no good rivalries anymore. I mean once in a while you get a game where there's a bunch of fights and players get heated and say stuff to the media, but the anger only lasts for a few games, maybe a season if we're lucky.

TOR - OTT is over, they had a good run in the early 2000's, but now it's so one way it doesn't exist, yeah leaf fans still boo Alfy but I bet half of them forget why.

TOR - NYI was good through a playoffs and half a season, I mean that 2002 series was wicked, and then the home-home series in the beginning of the next year was vicious, but then it tailed off, and now... no rivalry

TOR - MTL I guess that has enough history and enough 1 goal games in the past few years to still be considered a rivalry... but how many players on MTL can TOR fans really say they hate?? The closest thing they have now is Andre Kastitsyn, for the McCabe hit. But honestly he probably did us a favour... where's the real passion

TOR - Anyone else ... Just because fans from every other team hate TOR doesn't make it a rivalry.

What happened to MTL - BOS, NYR - NYI (I guess the Chris Simon stuff has brought a little of that back), COL - DET, CAL - EDM, sure fans are hyped for those games but where's the "won't get on the same plane as these guys" kinda stuff that used to be around.

Truth is players are hardly ever around long enough on a team for fans to even get to know the teams they "hate"...
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is true, because of the parity in the NHL I can't say that a roster remains susbstantially consistent for more than three years. I can't hate 15 players because they made one hit while on the team. It is messed up. Say it once I'll say it a hundred times: take the business aspect out of the NHL!

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  18:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just think back in the Original Six days when teams played a 70 game schedule they played each other 14 times...with thirty teams divisional rivals play 8 times, and most people think that is too many...

Rivalries are a thing of the past with 30 teams, with 6, all of them were rivals...

Champions take chances, and pressure is a privilege.
Billy Jean King to Maria Sharapova

http://www.maldesigns.ca/top50since1967.htm

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  20:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Toronto/Montreal rivalry goes back in years forever but since Ottawa moved into our province mostly uninvited there seems to be a real war going down between them these last number of years that is quite comparable to the old Hab/Tor rivalry. Someone mentioned the Avs and the Wings and I would have to concur on that one as well. By the way.....didn't the Leafs knock the Habs out of playoff contention the last Sat. night of last season? Just wondering?

Edited by - Antroman on 02/06/2008 20:02:57
Go to Top of Page

Guest4544
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:34:44  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmlfan46

used to be toronto /det n phil toronto ottawa and new jersey but now there isnmt much rivalry with the laughs lately
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page