Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 State of the Habs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The Habs are at a very critical point in the season. Anything they do or don't do will have a big effect on the post-season. What are your guys thoughts on what WILL happen and what SHOULD happen?

Choices:

They will make a big trade. They are just over-achieving right now.
They will make minor trades. They just need to do some tweaking.
Bring guys up from the minors. Trade-shmade!
Fire the coach.
They will tank the rest of the season and go for a high draft pick.
They will do nothing. They are the best team in the NHL, right? *sarcasm*

Edited by - SuperSakic on 02/13/2008 10:10:26

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  14:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think they should trade for a forward.

kovalev is good
koivu hasnt scored much and ther formaer 30 goal scorer ryder hasnt played very good.they have good defence. and i actually like this plecanek guy hes a good forward but i think they need another great player.. maybe they should go after guys who arent french toothere good in net with huet and halak. price should stay in the minors for two years.

i stil lthink if they want to be better they should trade for a good young forward

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest7862
( )

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  14:32:30  Reply with Quote
Please...Bob gainey...TRADE RYDER THE FASTEST AS POSSIBLE !
He should do a package like a "2 for 1" ... Ryder + Koivu for a 'big' player...a forward
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trade Ryder
no doubt,
but not Koivu,
he is not an awful player.
The habs will be ahead of Ottawa dont worry.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  15:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not because I am a Habs fan, because I am a hockey fan, I have to ask what is the neccessity of this forum. Why would they fire the coach, bomb the rest of the season, be ''sarcastically'' the best team in the league...?

The Montreal Canadiens are a superb hockey team and have the record to match it. They have no upcoming problems in terms of this year, or maybe a couple minor ones.

They will have a good team to put out come the post season and the NHL knows that.

I do too

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don;t think they are overachieving but I do think that they will make a big trade! I think that they think they can go deep but they need another big gun for the run.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal have a very strong power play unit. When you think of Montreal, no huge superstar comes to mind. It's a strong team effort and coaching, I believe.

I think Montreal will go with a trade around the deadline, and I think it will be for scorer. Who they'll trade for or who, I'm not sure yet. But I do think if they go anywhere in the playoffs, they are going to need another scorer.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

i think they should trade for a forward.

kovalev is good
koivu hasnt scored much and ther formaer 30 goal scorer ryder hasnt played very good.they have good defence. and i actually like this plecanek guy hes a good forward but i think they need another great player.. maybe they should go after guys who arent french toothere good in net with huet and halak. price should stay in the minors for two years.

i stil lthink if they want to be better they should trade for a good young forward

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

What's with the font colour? For all of us, please make it something legible in the future

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Montreal is an above average team that can make some noise in the playoffs. I think they have to do something now as they don't have many players locked up long term (only 4 players signed through next season).

That being said, I think an Ottawa team that was very stong before just got stronger by adding Stillman and Commodore. I think that Montreal's line up today can skate with anyone in the East in a 7 game series except for Ottawa. I don't think the Habs today can beat Ottawa 4 out of 7 games.

In all honesty, I don't think there is much Montreal can do to improve the team to beat Ottawa. Looking at Ottawa, they are the total package. There is only maybe Anaheim that has a better 1-6 on defense than Ottawa, and that big line is really unstoppable.

If Montreal can get another top 6 forward and shore up the D a litte, they might have a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Not because I am a Habs fan, because I am a hockey fan, I have to ask what is the neccessity of this forum. Why would they fire the coach, bomb the rest of the season, be ''sarcastically'' the best team in the league...?

The Montreal Canadiens are a superb hockey team and have the record to match it. They have no upcoming problems in terms of this year, or maybe a couple minor ones.

They will have a good team to put out come the post season and the NHL knows that.

I do too

The options that I had posted aren't necessary my views. I had put them there thinking that that might be how some people might see the Habs. I was going to add another option at the bottom saying: "I am a Leafs fan...".

About firing the coach. Well, look what Jersey did last year with their coach nearing the playoffs. So I put it there as an option. Once again, not necessarily my view.

And yes, the Habs have a good team. But to what extent?
Do you honestly think that they have the depth to be a cup-contender? I say no. Here' why: If Kovalev goes down, so does the team. If Komiserak or Markov go down, so does the team.
How many times have they blown leads because they try to sit back and protect whatever lead they have? Too many for my stomach.....That is a coaching issue which I disagree with. I am of the mind that when you have the lead you continue on and bury the other team so that they don't even get a glimmer of hope. But like I said, that's just my philosophy.

My choice was for them to sign a big centre. Preferably OJ from florida.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the ''defensive shell''

My father speaks with passion of his days growing up watching Montreal take an early one goal lead and tick down the rest of the game. As he said ''if the other team wanted to play defensively, the Habs would shut them down. If the other team wanted to score ten goals, the Habs would score eleven''

Sound like a good plan to me!

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alex, sounds like Hab rhetoric to me although when you have won all those Cups, I suppose it breeds this on going stuff and hockey lore. My question is what is the problem with them now? It has been since 1993 and they stole that one. It is starting to reach Leafian proportions and in this case, I have to admit, misery loves company. I seriously think that if Bob were to man the phones in an astute manner they might have a legitiment chance this season? God, help us all if he they do. Of course they would have to deal with the "Bettman Factor"!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Ah, the ''defensive shell''

My father speaks with passion of his days growing up watching Montreal take an early one goal lead and tick down the rest of the game. As he said ''if the other team wanted to play defensively, the Habs would shut them down. If the other team wanted to score ten goals, the Habs would score eleven''

Sound like a good plan to me!

Different era. Different players. Different rules...
Have you seen montreal try to go into a "shell" lately? It seems like they go into a shell alright, but their heads are pointing in the opposite direction. I have to clench my fists everytime I watch them do that. They up by 2 or 3 goals and then they just sit back with no forechecking. The other team starts to pelt them with shot after shot, and then what do you have? You have a blown lead! I think they play better hockey when they have to come from behind. At least that way they try to keep pressure on the other team....
I wouldn't mind if they went after Straka, whom Kovie had a great season playing with in Pitts. Or just bring in The Hoss or OJ!

Edited by - SuperSakic on 02/14/2008 10:38:40
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  11:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
super sakic i agree mostly wit your view ,,,, i love my habs but they are overachieving,,,, we should be sitting in about 6thd at best on paper,, but with guys like kovy and plekanec steping it up on offense we have pushed ourselves into a great spot ,, but i agree the depth for a playoff run is not completely absent but not there entirly either,,, we need someone who can pick up some slack if our regs stop performing ,,, i still believe in ryder so what hes having an off year,,, hes proven hes got a nack for finding the back of the net i wouldn;t be surprised if he comes alive in the playoffs,,,,and one small detail you sad if markov goes down....... markov is great but he is our third best d man at best....... our best and in my opinion the most underated player in the east is Mr Roman Hamirlk sure hes not the d man he once was but man steady as she goes he doesn;t make mistakes hes got 20 some points hes plus 11 the guy is a rock,.. and the core of our d unit just look at the mistakes our d has made in the 3 games hes been gone,, markov is so overated....

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  12:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

super sakic i agree mostly wit your view ,,,, i love my habs but they are overachieving,,,, we should be sitting in about 6thd at best on paper,, but with guys like kovy and plekanec steping it up on offense we have pushed ourselves into a great spot ,, but i agree the depth for a playoff run is not completely absent but not there entirly either,,, we need someone who can pick up some slack if our regs stop performing ,,, i still believe in ryder so what hes having an off year,,, hes proven hes got a nack for finding the back of the net i wouldn;t be surprised if he comes alive in the playoffs,,,,and one small detail you sad if markov goes down....... markov is great but he is our third best d man at best....... our best and in my opinion the most underated player in the east is Mr Roman Hamirlk sure hes not the d man he once was but man steady as she goes he doesn;t make mistakes hes got 20 some points hes plus 11 the guy is a rock,.. and the core of our d unit just look at the mistakes our d has made in the 3 games hes been gone,, markov is so overated....

Pasty

I wouldn't say that Markov is overrated. He is 4th in the league in defense points and 3rd in goals scored. He is the ONLY defenseman that can quarterback the play from his own zone on this team. There aren't that many defensemen that can do the things that he has done in the whole league. So I gotta disagree with you here. But yeah, the Hammer definitely is missed by the team. His play in his own zone is only second to Komiserak's.

As I said before. I think Straka would be an awesome fit. The guy (contrary to popular belief that he's a soft European) is actually a hardworking centreman who has speed and very good hands! Put him with Kovie and watch them fly. I don't know why everyone seems to think that the top line should not be broken up. Since the second line isn't scoring at all, maybe they SHOULD be shuffled around a bit. But only if they get Straka
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  13:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Pasty

I wouldn't say that Markov is overrated. He is 4th in the league in defense points and 3rd in goals scored. He is the ONLY defenseman that can quarterback the play from his own zone on this team. There aren't that many defensemen that can do the things that he has done in the whole league. So I gotta disagree with you here. But yeah, the Hammer definitely is missed by the team. His play in his own zone is only second to Komiserak's.

As I said before. I think Straka would be an awesome fit. The guy (contrary to popular belief that he's a soft European) is actually a hardworking centreman who has speed and very good hands! Put him with Kovie and watch them fly. I don't know why everyone seems to think that the top line should not be broken up. Since the second line isn't scoring at all, maybe they SHOULD be shuffled around a bit. But only if they get Straka

oh no doubts that markov is great fabulous offensivly but in his own end time and time again i see him get knocked off the puck and he cant control a player infront of the net,,, he needs to toughen up,,,,, straka would be a good fit,,, but who knows maybe koivu and him would be a good fit,,, but i like the straka idea because no offense to him hes cheap,,,, we wouldn;t have to give up someone like ryder or higgens to go get a player for example hossa.... i think the hammer is at least a number 2 d man on any team in the league,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  15:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any case, 54 percent of voters took my lead and said that only tweaking needs to be done. My Habs are going the distance this year!

You heard it here first!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  16:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect Alex, as I said above, the Habs do not have the team today to beat Ottawa 4 out of 7 games.

I know looking at the season series is not the same as a playoff series, However, Ottawa and Montreal have played each other 5 times this year. Ottawa has won 4 out of 5 and has outscored the Habs 20-11 in those 5 games.

I know you are a fan, and I know that true fans cheer their team to the bitter end, but make sure you are being realistic.

The Eastern Road to the Cup goes through Ottawa, not Montreal.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  16:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any case, Montreal will likely only meet Ottawa in the conference final. That's good enough for me. Though the fan in me still believes that they can beat the Senators.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page