Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Biggest Myth Out There Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If you consider the following to be myths, which of them do you feel is the biggest myth out there?

Choices:

The Hab teams which Patrick Roy led were GREAT teams
Wayne Gretzky was BY FAR the greatest hockey player ever. Its not even close
Nick Lidstrom is in the same group of great defencemen as Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin
Paul Coffey was one of the best DEFENSEMEN ever
More than just the Semenko factor, there was an NHL sanctioned no-touch Gretzky rule
Other (tell us about what you think the biggest myth out there is)

Edited by - andyhack on 02/17/2008 07:07:17

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Smyth is "Captain Canada", or even a top tier hockey player for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice poll. I think the biggest this year is that Avery said something about Blake's cancer.

All time, possibly the Patrick Roy one

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

jschur77
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  09:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lidstrom to me is considered to be in the same class as Ray Bourque
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a tough choice Andy.
I settled on the Gretzky not even close one.

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These were all great. I laughed when I first read them.

Answering honestly, my vote for the biggest MYTH is the Gretzky Protection Agency, formally known as the NHL. I still think that one is a load of garbage.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  11:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

These were all great. I laughed when I first read them.

Answering honestly, my vote for the biggest MYTH is the Gretzky Protection Agency, formally known as the NHL. I still think that one is a load of garbage.

Care to share? I heard something along those lines, but don't know the fact from fiction

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  12:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, no one knows fact from fiction on that. I just find is highly unlikely that the league, without going public, told each player that they could not touch Gretzky.

The Myth started on January 14, 1981. Bill McCreary Jr (no relation to the ref with the same name, but his dad did play in the NHL) rocked Gretzky at Centre Ice. The myth is that because of the hit, McCreary never played another shift in the NHL after that hit. I can only assume that he didn't play another shift in the game because he would have gotten 21 other Oilers taking turns kicking the crap out of him. The guy had an average career in the IHL, and in 12 NHL games, had 1 goal with the Leafs. It's hard to say weather or not the guy actually could have been in the NHL.

Here's a link to the hit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_NYeIYRzQ

That being said, from then on there was supposedly the Don't Hit Gretzky Rule. I personally think it's a load of crap. I think that the reason that Gretzky didn't get hit a bunch is two fold. Firstly, players have gone on record saying that they tried to hit Gretzky, but he was a very tough guy to hit. The other was not only Semenko, but the entire Oilers team. There was also a story that I think Willus posted on here about an Former NHLer saying that he did get rough with Gretzky once. From the bench, Sather screamed across the ice that the guy was going home in a body bag.

You be the judge of weather or not is was a myth.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  13:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the Gretzky stuff is a load of crap,
if they call him the great one,
he should be able to take a hit.
I dont understand why mccreary didt have another shift,
so he hit gretzky,
who cares?
I dont even think it was that huge of a hit,
its his fault he had is head down anyways.
thats just bad.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

so he hit gretzky,
who cares?
thats just bad.

~~~GO STARS~~~

No one can prove that the hit was the reason he never played again. The guy was a #6 defensemen on pretty much the worse team in the league.

Yet, no one can prove otherwise either.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  18:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I was getting at with "biggest myth" was not just which one you think is the furthest from the truth, but the one which twists the truth in a way that pisses you off the most (as much as one can get pissed off about these relatively meaningless things, that is). Sorry, I should have defined that more clearly initially.

I went with the "GREAT Habs teams in front of Roy" one because I find describing those good but not great Montreal teams as anything more than that unfair to Roy.

The "No hitting Gretzky NHL rule" one may be 100% factually incorrect if you think of it as a directive from the NHL, but I don't find it that offensive because in my opinion there was something above and beyond what Beans mentioned (the potential lashing from Semenko et al/Wayne's shiftiness) which contributed to Wayne not getting hit so much. Putting the "potential body bag" factor aside, I do think it just got into the heads of some guys (not all guys, but some) that they just shouldn't hit the game's superduperstar. Even if I'm wrong about though, the myth about him being BY FAR the greatest kind of offsets the NHL No-hit myth for me.

And that "BY FAR the greatest" myth of course bugs me a bit too but I suppose I can kind of understand some kid who is looking at just the numbers and nothing else coming to that conclusion. Same with the Coffey one. BUT I can't understand some kid looking at the rosters of past Cup teams, comparing Roy's Montreal teams with most of the champs in the last 40 years, and coming to any conclusion other than that those Hab teams were, relatively speaking, far from great, and that they therefore more than likely had amazing/Hall of Fame calibre goaltending in the playoffs (which, in fact, they did).

Edited by - andyhack on 02/17/2008 18:45:43
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  06:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not vote for this or anything but a good thing to discuss here, in connection with the Gretzkyone. What about Crosby? Is there some sort of unwritten rules in the NHL with the referee's, and/or the executive branches.
I'm not saying I am a believer in this I just want to discuss it.
A good point to look at. Crosby's so called "fight". If it's Brashear or Laraque or someone that does that, instant suspension. It was several suckerpunches and a couple cheap shots on the side.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6198
( )

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  06:50:55  Reply with Quote
The greatest myth is the one MSC has been spreading around about Ryan Smyth NOT being Captain Canada or a top tier player. Ryan Smyth is awesome and has more heart and soul than anyone in the NHL. 'Cept maybe Iginla, he's pretty awesome too.

I also think Lidstrom is an amazing defenceman that people don't like because he's not flashy, but is certainly one of the best ever.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  08:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with Coffee, he was just a glorified winger.

It was close though, the great Montreal teams/Patrick Roy one was close. I watched Roy steal games that they had absolutely no business being in, and fairly often.
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  22:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with the McCreary hit on Gretzky is McCreary did what anyone fighting for an NHL spot would do. You either set up or score goals, fight or hit. An opportunity came up for him to hot Gretzky and he took it. Now either his coach and GM were idiots or there was some sort of secret rule. Can you imagine another team being afraid of Edmonton. Yes Edmonton had Semenko but they were not the toughest team in the league.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

Guest6068
( )

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  10:52:11  Reply with Quote
Ryan Smyth is Captain Canada because he shows up and plays hard for his country in any tournament he gets asked to.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  13:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6068

Ryan Smyth is Captain Canada because he shows up and plays hard for his country in any tournament he gets asked to.

Unlike every other player on Canada? Dumbest thing i have ever heard. He is probably nicknamed that because every year his team is out of the playoffs, so he goes and plays in the IIHF tourny.

Back to the myth question the Gretz being far and away the best is stupid. Super Mario would have been close if not higher in numbers had he not had cancer, or a back that would allow him to tie his own skates. Yes Gretzky is the greatest, bu hardly far and away the best ever.
Go to Top of Page

shazariahl
Top Prospect

50 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Macreary like -6 and had 1 point in 12 games? I think that is more likely the reason he was sent back. 1 decent body check, even on the Great One, isn't enough to keep a player around when they're putting up some rather poor numbers like those.

As for the "no hitting" Gretzky rule, if that were true, why did he need a bodyguard? I mean, if there was an unwritten rule, that everyone was supposedly following, as so many have claimed, when he wouldn't need an enforcer. The only reason he needed an enforcer is because people were trying to hit him. Watch some games, and see for yourselves. People try to hit him a lot. Some people do. But Wayne used to play against people twice his age when he was a boy, not to mention Lacross, where clubbing someone with your stick is not only legal, but perfectly rational behavior. He spent his entire formative life learning to avoid damage and roll with hits.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8365
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  02:45:43  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

so he hit gretzky,
who cares?
thats just bad.

~~~GO STARS~~~

No one can prove that the hit was the reason he never played again. The guy was a #6 defensemen on pretty much the worse team in the league.

Yet, no one can prove otherwise either.

he was picked 6th overall in the draft and played 12 games.. you cant say he wasnt good.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7176
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  04:20:10  Reply with Quote
7752:
I have a myth for you:
Leafs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: