Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Retired Greats: Which is the biggest loss? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star



Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Of those mulling over retirement in the off-season, which would bring the biggest loss to the game if he decided to hang them up for good?

Results:
Joe Sakic   [71%] 72 votes
Jaromir Jagr   [10%] 10 votes
Rod Brind''Amour   [2%] 2 votes
Mats Sundin   [8%] 8 votes
Scott Neidermayer   [4%] 4 votes
Mike Modano   [1%] 1 votes
Teemu Selanne   [1%] 1 votes
Dominic Hasek   [0%] 0 votes
Other (who?)   [3%] 3 votes


Poll Status: Open  »»   Total Votes: 101 counted  »»   Last Vote: 03/29/2016 14:01:58 

Edited by - Alex on 05/04/2008 14:12:46

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  13:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Sakic or Rod Brind'amour. Both of them are very valuable to their teams. Captains, complete players and Colorado and Carolina would deeply miss them. A player you forgot Alex is Dominic Hasek.

Edited by - PainTrain on 05/04/2008 13:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Timay
Rookie



Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  14:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Niedermayer with Sakic as a close runner-up. The only reason I went with Scott is cause hes younger and I think hes got a few more great seasons left. Perhaps another ring?
Go to Top of Page

leigh
Moderator



Canada
1657 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  23:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Shanahan? and Roenick?

You know, if you add up the goals of all these forwards (and throw in Shanahan and JR) we're talking about OVER 4400 regular season goals! That is mind boggling! 8 guys and 4490 goals (if my math is correct) What a loss if any of them retire!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8252 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hands down Mats Sundin. Without Sundin the Leafs are an above average AHL team. I mean no disrespect to the Leafs, but that is the way I see it.

If you look that the other teams that may or may not have their Superstars retiring, they have set themselves up with young talent to take over. Colorado has Stastny, Svatos, Wolski. Carolina has Staal. Anaheim is still deep. Every other team has young developing superstars.

And don't give me that stuff about good young Leaf talent. They don't have a single player in their system that will ever be nearly as good as Sundin.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say sakic or jagr. i think they have had the best career out of the guys on that list. but it would be sad to see any of those all time greats go



Leafsfan_94


Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4755 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  06:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I agree with Beans as to the biggest loss to their respective teams (Sundin definitely means the most to his team right now, no question), I voted Sakic. I read the question as the biggest loss "to the game of hockey" . . . and I went with who I thought was the best all-around player on the list. Scott Niedermayer comes in a close second, with Sundin and Jagr not far behind.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie



Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  10:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Although I agree with Beans as to the biggest loss to their respective teams (Sundin definitely means the most to his team right now, no question), I voted Sakic. I read the question as the biggest loss "to the game of hockey" . . . and I went with who I thought was the best all-around player on the list. Scott Niedermayer comes in a close second, with Sundin and Jagr not far behind.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug



For once I agree with you 100% Slozo
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
665 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  15:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brendan Shanahan
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  09:43:17  Reply with Quote
teemu selanne is not retired he has a few goals already this year. biggest losses are sakic and jagr. brindamour was a really good player never a great one.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  16:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

teemu selanne is not retired he has a few goals already this year. biggest losses are sakic and jagr. brindamour was a really good player never a great one.

Brindamour is/was a great player. One of the if not the best faceoff guy's in the last 20 or so years. Former 97 point player 3 NHL hatricks and 4 4 assist games and a career high of 6 points in a game. Former member of the Legion of Doom. Constantly mentioned by his peers as one of the best captains. Who do you think groomed that young Carolina Team to a Stanley cup championship and an eastern final a few years before. Learn the game of hockey before you trash a Great player.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



6033 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  21:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

teemu selanne is not retired he has a few goals already this year. biggest losses are sakic and jagr. brindamour was a really good player never a great one.

Brindamour is/was a great player. One of the if not the best faceoff guy's in the last 20 or so years. Former 97 point player 3 NHL hatricks and 4 4 assist games and a career high of 6 points in a game. Former member of the Legion of Doom. Constantly mentioned by his peers as one of the best captains. Who do you think groomed that young Carolina Team to a Stanley cup championship and an eastern final a few years before. Learn the game of hockey before you trash a Great player.



Easy now Josh....what we have here is a debate between two peoples opinion of what exactly it takes to be considered "GREAT". I agree with the guest. Brind'Amour was an above average NHLer in my opinion, but not in the category of GREAT by any means. That's left for the Gretzky's, Lemieux's, Orr's, etc....
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  10:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was the Legion of Doom not Lindros, LeClair and Renberg?

Edited by - MSC on 10/14/2009 10:04:03
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  10:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad. I guess I just thought Philly's team was the whole legion of doom. Not just the line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page