Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Pavel Bure Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JERJ2008
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Pavel Bure worthy of the Hockey Hall of Fame? Considering his numbers he put up the years he played, averaging just over 1.1 points per game, does he (in your mind) qualify to be inducted?

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  11:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. He was the most exciting player of the 90's, made the Vancouver Canucks matter again, and opened up alot of doors for russian players coming to the NHL (along with Fedorov and Mogilny). Also, his hit on Shane Churla of the Stars in the '94 playoffs is one of the most brutal ever Check out rock'em sock'em 6 for that one.

Not to mention his 60 goal seasons.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  11:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Undeniable, the guy was in my opinion the biggest standout in the game and the one of the first hyped up players from Russia in the NHL. He was so exciting and could fly down the ice. One of my all time favourites.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6638
( )

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  11:52:29  Reply with Quote
I can see it happening. Cam Neely's shortened career did not prevent him from being "Halled".
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  12:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes deffinetely. he has to have been in the top 5 most exciting players in the era of the 90's. he was one of the first players i saw do that dipsy doodle move, put the puck through players legs, and do cool dekes. that didnt really start happening that much until like 1998 or so.

plus look at these numbers.(NHL)

he played 702 games, 437 goals, 342 helpers, 779 points

that is not half bad if you'd ask me.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest4180
( )

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  12:58:51  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

he was one of the first players i saw do that dipsy doodle move, put the puck through players legs, and do cool dekes. that didnt really start happening that much until like 1998 or so.
Leafsfan_94

LOL! You young guys crack me up! You sound like you think hockey was played in straight lines before you were born. Dipsy doodling (official term) was around long before 1998 my young grasshopper.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  17:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever, thats not what i was trying to say, all i meant was he was always doing cool moves like that more than anyone in the league. and i didnt say it wasnt around, it just didny happen as much.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4180

quote:

he was one of the first players i saw do that dipsy doodle move, put the puck through players legs, and do cool dekes. that didnt really start happening that much until like 1998 or so.
Leafsfan_94

LOL! You young guys crack me up! You sound like you think hockey was played in straight lines before you were born. Dipsy doodling (official term) was around long before 1998 my young grasshopper.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest9536
( )

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  17:55:23  Reply with Quote
quote:

whatever, thats not what i was trying to say, all i meant was he was always doing cool moves like that more than anyone in the league. and i didnt say it wasnt around, it just didny happen as much

But that's where you're wrong. I think guest 4180 meant no offense Leafsfan, we all do it, we tend to think that the world starts when we're born Just be aware of the old timers, they had good chops too and lots of them! Sweet dangles happened all the time and it was spectacular. Look up guys like Denis Savard, Mario Lemieux, Guy Lafleur, Luc Robitaille, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Dale Hawerchuk etc. etc. And these were just guys in my lifetime. Imagine the 60 years before that! Really though, about the time of the first expansion in 1967 you started to see things get really fancy. By the 80's it was rediculous how creative guys were.

Listen to me, I sound as bad as you! haha! 4180 is about to put me in my place too haha!
Go to Top of Page

JERJ2008
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  17:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you all think he deserves it. I grew up in Vancouver and he (in my opinion) was and still is the best thing that's ever set foot in the city. He brought excitement to the rink, at a time where the people of Vancouver were more BC Lion fans than Canuck fans. I think deserves it for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  17:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4180

I have no doubt that there was always ''dipsy doodling'' if you will, but I would tend to agree, from my limited perspective, that creativity in dekes took off relatively recently. My dad watches the toe-drags, spin moves, and skate-to-stick maneuvers being pulled off today and almost gives a standing ovation to the TV. He says that the game was less inclined to that type of stuff (note, he will never say less exciting - to the opposite) back in the day.

I've watched some footage of Bobby Orr and Gretzky, and it seems to me that the way they eluded opposition was to change direction, or go from backhand to forehand, but that's a ''classic deke.'' Not saying it's any easier to pull off / defend, but it's less original.

Compare that to the moves made within a poke-check's distance of defending players today. All the shootout stuff, YouTube and what have you - I don't think the greats were pulling that off in the 60s or 70s. Not due to lack of skill, but lack of necessity maybe.

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  09:33:10  Reply with Quote
definite hall of famer. two straight 60 goal seasons, 59 in 2000, all of this in the dead puck era.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  08:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going by the standards that the HHOF have right now, I'd say yes, barely.

He never got to 500 goals or 1000 points, but he was forced by bad luck (lockout, starting career too early in Russia perhaps) and injuries to about 700 games (702 gp, 437g, 342a, 779 pts). During those years though, there wasn't a more pure sniper in the league than Bure . . . he was like a well-tuned Ferrari on the ice, and his lightning quick wrister or slapshot had pin-point accuracy. He was one of the top three players in the NHLe for a good portion of his career, a five-time 50 goal scorer, and on the international stage he had a distinguished career for Russia (Olympic bronze and silver, WC gold and bronze, and a gold and two silvers for the WJC).

In terms of greatness for a short career, we are in Cam Neely territory here, except that, you may be surprised to know that Bure played 24 less games, while racking up more goals and points. Considering the players who are already in the hall, I think Bure has to be in there as one of the most dominant and probably the most exciting player of his day, together with his goal scoring titles. That, coupled with holding the record for scoring the highest percentage of your team's goals (29.5% with the Panthers 2000/01) should make a warm seat available for the Russian Rocket.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  20:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say without a doubt, Bure will make the Hall. As mentioned by Slozo, he did reach 500 Goals nor 1,000 Pts but then again, he only played around 700 career regular season games.

He was an excellent skater, stick handler & goal scorer. Who does deserve a spot.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest9647
( )

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  07:45:08  Reply with Quote
The best goal scorer that I have ever seen. Kind of like Ovechkin's goal scoring talent, blended with Semin's stick handling, along with Kovalchuk's speed...He was the total package!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page