Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 What is the most amazing goal of Gretzky's career? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0956
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  12:22:21  Reply with Quote
Being that he scored the most goals, regular season and career, one thing you never hear discussed is his most amazing goals. I believe this is because he was a much better playmaker....but the fact remains, he also has the most 60+, 70+, and 80+ goal seasons, is the only player to score 90+ goals....not to mention the most goals ever. He has FIVE 60+ goal seasons, FOUR 70+ goal seasons, and THIRTEEN consecutuve 40+ goal seasons! Yet no one thinks of him as a goal scorer....go figure.

His most amazing goal is hardly ever mentioned, and sort of fell off the radar. It's not the top corner glove side goal in OT against Mike Vernon, or either of the 2 goals he scored off the faceoff and from behind the net off Mike Liut's back all in the same period....

The greatest goal Gretzky ever scored should have happened on a baseball diamond. It was against the Canucks, and he was playing for the Kings. Gretzky took a slapshot from the top of the right circle (his off wing) with a few players in front of Kirk McLean. It hit Luc Robitaille in the butt and somehow deflected way up high. No one saw where it was, except Gretzky. He must have watched it as it went all the way up into the rafters and then watched it come all the way down. He took the biggest swing, slapshot style, I've seen, and batted the puck right out of the air, just above the waist (must have been 3 or 4 feet high) where he had been standing, at the top of the face off circle. Right into the top corner! Kirk McLean looked dumbfounded. Brian Leetch calls it the most amazing goal he's ever seen. It made plays of the year, and was never to be seen again on highlight films. Anyone remember this goal?

Feel free to throw in your opinion as to which was the greatest Gretzky goal.

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  13:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot to choose from but that was a very nice one. I don't remember it going up into the rafters but hey, the stories get better as time goes by. Here are a bunch more wrapped up in a little TSN montage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102t376eEbE&mode=related&search=
Go to Top of Page

Guest5221
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  17:42:19  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

There are a lot to choose from but that was a very nice one. I don't remember it going up into the rafters but hey, the stories get better as time goes by. Here are a bunch more wrapped up in a little TSN montage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102t376eEbE&mode=related&search=

His goal was to get the hell out of Edmonton without getting blamed.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0956

Being that he scored the most goals, regular season and career, one thing you never hear discussed is his most amazing goals. I believe this is because he was a much better playmaker....but the fact remains, he also has the most 60+, 70+, and 80+ goal seasons, is the only player to score 90+ goals....not to mention the most goals ever. He has FIVE 60+ goal seasons, FOUR 70+ goal seasons, and THIRTEEN consecutuve 40+ goal seasons! Yet no one thinks of him as a goal scorer....go figure.

His most amazing goal is hardly ever mentioned, and sort of fell off the radar. It's not the top corner glove side goal in OT against Mike Vernon, or either of the 2 goals he scored off the faceoff and from behind the net off Mike Liut's back all in the same period....

The greatest goal Gretzky ever scored should have happened on a baseball diamond. It was against the Canucks, and he was playing for the Kings. Gretzky took a slapshot from the top of the right circle (his off wing) with a few players in front of Kirk McLean. It hit Luc Robitaille in the butt and somehow deflected way up high. No one saw where it was, except Gretzky. He must have watched it as it went all the way up into the rafters and then watched it come all the way down. He took the biggest swing, slapshot style, I've seen, and batted the puck right out of the air, just above the waist (must have been 3 or 4 feet high) where he had been standing, at the top of the face off circle. Right into the top corner! Kirk McLean looked dumbfounded. Brian Leetch calls it the most amazing goal he's ever seen. It made plays of the year, and was never to be seen again on highlight films. Anyone remember this goal?

Feel free to throw in your opinion as to which was the greatest Gretzky goal.

thats crazy that you wrote about this...my coach in high school used to talk about that goal all the time...he's an old timer and remembers like everything in the last 50 years haha we had a drill kind of like this goal for pucks in the air in front of the net

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

Guest8697
( )

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  08:08:09  Reply with Quote
Amazing. The greatest goal I ever saw him get is also not on highlight reels. He was on a faceoff to the right circle of the goalie. The referee dropped the puck and all of a sudden the red light went on. Gretzky had slapped the puck in before it hit the ice! The Great Gretzky!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6624
( )

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  00:26:34  Reply with Quote
1993 Playoffs Game 7 Conference Finals against Toronto....walked down the right wing and slapped an absolute beauty past Potvin
Go to Top of Page

shazariahl
Top Prospect

50 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  20:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny you mention this goal, because I was going to post on this thread about that same goal. You NEVER see it on highlights, but it was just insane.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1473
( )

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  08:03:27  Reply with Quote
I was at this game. If memory serves, it didn't hit Robataille. Gretzky tried to go 5-hole, and McLean stopped it with his stick. Gretzky had his eye on the puck the whole time, and shot at it about waist high where it went in over McLean's left shoulder. I was five rows behind the net for it, and had the perfect vantage point.

Great game too. Kings won 6-5 on a goal as the announcer said "1 minute left in the period." And I caught a puck in the third.

Does anyone know if the clip is available?
Go to Top of Page

shazariahl
Top Prospect

50 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually just saw a clip of this on youtube not long ago.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  14:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nailing down Janet Gretzky. As unbelievable a player Wayne was pretty much discribes how "hot" Janet was in the movie American Anthem.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7602
( )

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  13:13:28  Reply with Quote
Any other amazing Gretzky recollecions? Amazing goals or assists, or even just something he did that we never see on highlights or youtube?

I just remember so many things he would do in games that no one ever put on hightlights. I remember him once in the 1991 Canada Cup killing a penalty, skating circles around Sweden (if I remember) around and around and around the nuetral zone which must have been for about a half the penalty kill. And then later during the same game, if I remember, during another penalty kill, him having the puck behind Sweden's net which must have been for at least a minute -- just controlling the entire balance of the game while the entire arena went into a frenzy. Going side to side, Swedish players just going crazy with intimidation not knowing what to do. I still haven't seen anything like it.

Anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

shazariahl
Top Prospect

50 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He made a behind the back pass against Philly in the SCF that was pretty amazing (I believe it was to Coffee). It wasn't just the typical back pass you see people make, he actually cut across the blue line, dragging both defenders with him, and then did a behind the back pass that actually went FORWARD and led it perfectly for Coffee who walked in alone, since both defenders had converged on Gretzky.

He did a similar pass another time (can't remember against who though, or who scored - it wasn't one of the usuals you'd expect) which was pretty amazing too; basically exact same pass (behind the back, but leading the player and somehow sending the puck forward) but the distance it travelled wasn't as great, and it wasn't as big a game, so I consider it slightly less awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7602
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:45:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shazariahl

He made a behind the back pass against Philly in the SCF that was pretty amazing (I believe it was to Coffee). It wasn't just the typical back pass you see people make, he actually cut across the blue line, dragging both defenders with him, and then did a behind the back pass that actually went FORWARD and led it perfectly for Coffee who walked in alone, since both defenders had converged on Gretzky.

Is this the pass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG9iUN6Xh2s
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  20:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7602

quote:

Is this the pass?

That's prob it. Personally, as far as Gretzky goes, that wasn't as impressive as i was expecting. Yeah, the bar is set pretty high for him i suppose, but for him, that looked more or less routine.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7602
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  20:55:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7602

quote:

Is this the pass?

That's prob it. Personally, as far as Gretzky goes, that wasn't as impressive as i was expecting. Yeah, the bar is set pretty high for him i suppose, but for him, that looked more or less routine.

As crazy as it sounds, that pass was a routine regular season pass for him. But what made it special was it was done during the finals, when the tempo of the game was at the maximum, at the highest speed, when the stakes were the highest. It's sort of like when Lemieux let the puck go between his legs during the olympics. If it was during the regular season, so what? But it was when the pressure was on, so it became something very special. Same thing here. Youtube isn't very good at capturing a moment, I guess you could say ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page