Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who would you rather have the final..... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  14:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Last one, same theoretical, both players are 18ish, your turn to draft, who do you choose and why?

Choices:

Chris Pronger
Scott Niedermayer

Guest9299
( )

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  16:32:05  Reply with Quote
Pronger and bobby orr are the only defencemen to ever win the hart trophy (mvp). Pronger was also edmonton's leading point scorer in the playoffs in 2006 when he dragged them to the finals. A defensive defenceman leading a team in scoring is unfathomable.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6192
( )

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  14:42:37  Reply with Quote
Pronger is more offensive. Niedermayer is smarter. I say SCott
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  23:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on how you look at it i guess. if you want an offensive defencemen, both are good, Pronger has a better shot and bigger target on the power play. however, looking at defence, in the new faster NHL, Scott may be the better choice. He can keep up with the skilled offensive players one on one, help lead or jump into the rushes, and contribute almost as much. I think Scott would be a better choice now, but maybe not when they were drafted.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9299

Pronger and bobby orr are the only defencemen to ever win the hart trophy (mvp). Pronger was also edmonton's leading point scorer in the playoffs in 2006 when he dragged them to the finals. A defensive defenceman leading a team in scoring is unfathomable.

Not exactly true. Herb Gardiner, Eddie Shore and Babe Pratt also won the Hart. In fact Shore won it 4 times.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a tough question for me. I can't stand Pronger. He looks like an akward lummox out there. Niedermeyer on the other hand is a pleasure to watch. At their best they are both very effective defencemen.
I'll take Niedermeyer.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  03:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think this is a difficult question, both defencemen have the ability to control a game and potentially be game changers. However both achieve this in totally different styles. I lean toward Pronger just because I like more physical defencemen.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  12:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is the Fat Elvis Guy!! Man, he has some wicked threads.

Wow, Neidermayer, the consumate non-physical defenseman. Pronger, the consumate physical defensemen. What do you take, less mobility with size, strength, and reach or a less physical extremely fast and mobile player?? Both have serious skills on both sides of the puck. Both are effective using their different styles. Pronger's offensive side is more about a big and powerful shot, Neidermayer is more about the being in the right spot and being accurate.

Really, I think I would take Pronger based on one thing. The guy is possibly the most under rated passer in the league. He goes tape to tape from nearly anywhere on the ice and doesn't turn the puck over often. Neidermayer skates the puck more, which means he is proned to a few more turnovers.

That's really it. I think Pronger is a better passer and that make him my choice.

And you can also never teach 6'5" and 230lbs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page