Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Rubber match, anyone? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  04:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Now that the parade has ended and hockey fans are already looking forward to the draft, let's look at next season, and peer into the crystal ball for next year's finals . . .

. . . does anyone see Pittsburgh and Detroit meeting for a finals threepeat?

Give me your thoughts, comments on the likelihood of a rubber match happening between the two teams.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

They meet again in finals - Pens win!
They meet again in finals - Wings win!
Pens will make the finals, Wings won''t
Wings will make the finals, Pens won''t
Neither team will make the finals next year
Whatever team Hossa is on will meet either Pittsburgh or Detroit and lose

Edited by - n/a on 06/17/2009 04:57:58

Guest4161
( )

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  05:26:06  Reply with Quote
Since it's too early to tell with all the trades and the free agent signing coming up. I voted for Hossa to go to the final and lose to either Detroit or Pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  11:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha - "Whatever team Hossa is on will meet either Pittsburgh or Detroit and lose". Funny.

A threepeat appearance by these two teams isn't that hard to fathom, given the talent on both sides, altho the likelihood of it happening in a 30 team league isn't very good. I wouldn't have guessed they would both meet in the final again this year though. I just had a quick look at the Stanley Cup winner/loser list and it looks like the only time two teams met in three consecutive finals was from the 1953–54 season to the 1955–56 season - Montreal vs. Detroit.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  04:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1953-56, eh? Thanks for the research, Just1n, I was wondering that myself. Like you said, the odds aren't good, but with the way these teams are built, it certainly looks possible.

Upon reflection however, I see only Pittsburgh making the final again next year, from a weaker Eastern Conference. In the West, I have to think that any one of the strong teams there - San Jose, Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago - will be able to knock off the former champs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4161
( )

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  05:29:30  Reply with Quote
Dallas could be a good challenge in the west if they stay healthy.

In the east Pittsburgh could definetly still win it but Boston also has a strong team.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page