Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 1st Overall Fantasy Pick Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  05:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Of these current NHLer's, which would you have selected with the 1st pick?

Choices:

Evgeni Malkin
Alex Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Jerome Iginla
John Tavares
Pavel Datsyuk
Nicklas Lidstrom
Mike Green
Henrik Zetterberg
Other Current NHLer?

Edited by - Rambo2305 on 07/16/2009 08:41:03

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  05:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Alex the Great"!

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  06:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux or Bobby Orr, doesn't matter which one . . . but I'd take Gretz first, naturally

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest5382
( )

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  07:38:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

Who would you select 1st overall with a fantasy pick?

Wouldn't it depend on your fantasy format? In a points only league, Malkin. In a multi category Ovie.

Also depending on the weight applied to goalies or defensemen I would take Chara, Green, Pronger or Luongo, Brodeur or Nabakov. Tell me the format, then I'll tell you my pick.

Based on the list, I am assuming this is not a keeper league.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  09:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5382

quote:

Who would you select 1st overall with a fantasy pick?

Wouldn't it depend on your fantasy format? In a points only league, Malkin. In a multi category Ovie.

Also depending on the weight applied to goalies or defensemen I would take Chara, Green, Pronger or Luongo, Brodeur or Nabakov. Tell me the format, then I'll tell you my pick.

Based on the list, I am assuming this is not a keeper league.

Agreed....with the choices you've thrown out there, it's tough to tell what kinda point system you're talking about?
Having D-men in there, do they get more points for goals? I'm in a pool yearly that awards two points for defensemen goals. If this is the case, Green was right up there last year with Ovie, Malkin, etc. Don't see any goalies so i assume you're not including those but having a guy in there like Tavares lends me to believe it could be a "keeper draft"? If it's strictly a one season 1 pt per goal and 1 pt per assist, you'd have to be crazy to pick anyone outside of Ovie, Malkin or Crosby IMO? Having said that, buddy of mine took Lecavalier first overall last year. Poor guy, he finished 3rd (only top two were paid out) and would have easily won it by taking one of the big three!
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  10:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not pool wise...I'll just re-word the question...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Guest5382
( )

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  11:27:15  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who would you select 1st overall to build an NHL team around?

Ok, considering Lidstrom is nearing 40, you wouldn't want to build a team around him. Also I love Iggy but he is almost 34 which is not someone I would build my team around either.

I would build my team on a guy less than 30 and prefer under 25.

With the top pick, I'm going with Sid. He sells tickets and his game is more suited for the long haul.

Ovie's style of play is just too risky, IMHO. He will get hurt eventually. But man, can I market this guy.

Malkin's style of play similar to Sid, but as the face of the franchise, he is to quiet for me to market.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  12:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok, considering Lidstrom is nearing 40, you wouldn't want to build a team around him. Also I love Iggy but he is almost 34 which is not someone I would build my team around either.

With the top pick, I'm going with Sid. He sells tickets and his game is more suited for the long haul.

Ovie's style of play is just too risky, IMHO. He will get hurt eventually. But man, can I market this guy.

Malkin's style of play similar to Sid, but as the face of the franchise, he is to quiet for me to market.

Ditto the above....Why a completely unknown (Tavares) is even on the list is beyond me. I mean, yeah, he could be great one day but would you be willing to select him over guys that you've seen perform at the top level? He could be the next Alexandre Daigle. No one in their right mind would pick him! Anyway, i agree with what was said by the guest above but would also consider a Brodeur or Lunongo as well. If you were to throw out the marketing/money/etc and talk about a "fantasy world" where it was simply playing hockey (for free) then i'd prob go with Ovechkin. However, you couldn't go wrong with any of the top three and that's not a knock on Iggy or the others because aside from Tavares and prob Mike Green, most GM's would be excited about building a team starting with any of them! Imagine having the 4th or 5th pick in that draft? You'd still be drooling!

BTW, i'm assuming if my pick were Lidstrom, being that this is a hypothetical question, i'd be getting him at his draft year age?
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  05:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

quote:

Ditto the above....Why a completely unknown (Tavares) is even on the list is beyond me. I mean, yeah, he could be great one day but would you be willing to select him over guys that you've seen perform at the top level? He could be the next Alexandre Daigle. No one in their right mind would pick him! Anyway, i agree with what was said by the guest above but would also consider a Brodeur or Lunongo as well. If you were to throw out the marketing/money/etc and talk about a "fantasy world" where it was simply playing hockey (for free) then i'd prob go with Ovechkin. However, you couldn't go wrong with any of the top three and that's not a knock on Iggy or the others because aside from Tavares and prob Mike Green, most GM's would be excited about building a team starting with any of them! Imagine having the 4th or 5th pick in that draft? You'd still be drooling!

BTW, i'm assuming if my pick were Lidstrom, being that this is a hypothetical question, i'd be getting him at his draft year age?

For the sake of this topic, yes, you'd be getting these players in their prime respectively.

Go to Top of Page

Guest5382
( )

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  07:06:24  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the sake of this topic, yes, you'd be getting these players in their prime respectively.

Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  08:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gretzky.

Rambo...please remove "other" from the poll so this doesn't turn into a Gretzky vs Lemieux vs Orr vs Howe vs etc debate!!! Or maybe change it to "other currently playing in the NHL"?
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  08:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize how confusing this can get lol..

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  20:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, to be clear I picked Ovie. But if I was an expansion team picking a player to build a franchise on I would be tempted to go Zetterburg and get a two way defensive forward who can still get 90 to 100 points on a defensive team. Plus he signed for less and longer term than most.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page