Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Theo Fleury making a comeback Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  05:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to sportcentre Fleury has been skating in Calgary and is waiting for a team to invite him to training camp. First of all do you believe this rumour and Second any idea which team he might go to.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  09:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this very hard to believe so i googled it and found this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287047

Well, i wish him luck. If Claude Lemieux can find a spot on a fourth line, then why not Theo i guess? Still, seems like a longshot to me. Maybe he'll make team Canada and brawl with the Russians to really turn back the clock???
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  02:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

According to sportcentre Fleury has been skating in Calgary and is waiting for a team to invite him to training camp. First of all do you believe this rumour and Second any idea which team he might go to.

Iits not a rumour, it has been confirmed by the league that he is trying to get his indefinate suspension removed so he can play again.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  20:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this give him any chance at all of getting in to the Hall of fame. Alot of arguement went into whether or not he already belongs in there. The biggest arguement against was his final few years and how would then be remember by his substance abuse. I for one wish him good luck and hope a canadian team signs this guy for a million a year hope he puts up 60 points with 25 goals and finally gets the respect he deserves. If Claude can do it and a team is willing to sign either Bertuzzi or Avery I say why not the greatest little big man ever to lace his skates, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  20:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well best of luck to theo. I wonder what team would be willing to take the risk of signing him though if he does get the ok and is allowed to play again?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  12:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody heard a reliable rumour to update us on the former best little big mans future with the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, he's cleared his first hurdle and been re-instated by the league.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=498200

Edited by - Alex116 on 09/10/2009 22:52:02
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, theo has officially been invited to the calgary flames training camp.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4629
( )

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  01:10:13  Reply with Quote
This is from All Headline News

Calgary, Alberta (AHN) - The Calgary Flames have invited Theoren Fleury to training camp. The Flames open camp Saturday and Fleury will be there on a try-out basis.

Fleury played 11 years for the Flames.He last played in the NHL for the Chicago Blackhawks in the 02-03 season.

He was suspended for violating the NHL's substance abuse policy.

"I am both thankful and very excited to be given this opportunity by Darryl and the Flames organization," said Fleury.

He says he's sober now and was reinstated last week.

He scored 455 goals and added 633 assists in over 1,000 NHL games.

He suited up for the Flames, Colorado Avalanche, New York Rangers and Chicago between 1988 and 2003.

He won a Stanley Cup in his rookie season in Calgary.

He has played in Europe and in North American senior leagues since leaving the National Hockey League.

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  11:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like ol' Fleury didn't make the Flames team. Sutter had this to say:

"I believe Theoren did a great job and should be proud, especially considering all the factors including age, time away from the game and lifestyle change," said Sutter. This is not a hockey story; it's a life story. Our agreement with Theoren was that he had to be one of our top six wingers and there were never any intentions of assigning him to the American Hockey League."

Here's the full story including Fleury's comments: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=499802

Personally I wish he could have made it. I know it was a long shot but it would have been nice to see him play a season, maybe right a few wrongs, show up on a few highlight reels, then go out on his terms. But regardless, it was nice to see him pop a couple in the preseason. I'm still a huge fan of the guy!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  12:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is will another team sign him? He did pretty well with Calgary and I could easily see him making on a bottom half team from last season. As we all no just cause the Flames let him go doesn't mean he wont be in the NHL this year, maybe LA or Tampa would bring him in to mentor some of the young guys they are bringing up.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  13:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was listening to Eric Francis on the Fan 960 yesterday and he says Monday Fleury will have a big announcement. He furthermore said he was not upset and actually sounded excited. I am quite curious to hear whats going on on monday.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  00:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally am upset with Calgary for not signing Fleury... I feel he was one of the better players in Calgary pre season games and I feel he definitely is good enough to be on one of the top 2 scoring lines...

Hopefully Theo doesn't call it quits and a team does end up signing him for a year or 2... I would like to see Fleury make his comeback and play in the NHL once again...

That's just me...

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  09:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hanley, i also really hoped someone else would have given him a chance too, but unfortunatley fleury announced that hes officialy retiring. i have the story from TSN in this link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292955
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this preseason stint hurt or help his chances of getting into the HOF. My opinion is he should already be there. Opinions.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  15:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Does this preseason stint hurt or help his chances of getting into the HOF. My opinion is he should already be there. Opinions.

i say he should get in, he deserves it, in fact the should make a movie about him his success, his drug alcohol use, banning from the nhl, his career, fight to change his life over and total life turn around coming clean, tryout with Calgary and retiring with a lean sleight

Edited by - hanley6 on 09/28/2009 15:22:05
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  15:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i say he should get in, he deserves it, in fact the should make a movie about him his success, his drug alcohol use, banning from the nhl, his career, fight to change his life over and total life turn around coming clean, tryout with Calgary and retiring with a lean sleight

[/quote]

i believe he's actually wrote a book
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  16:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's releasing a book this fall.

Unfortuantely, some negative nellies may say that his attempt at a comeback was simply a way to get his name on the tip of people's tongues to sell a few more books. Honestly, it's hard to argue that. There were also rumors of him having some issues with back child support. Either way, it's irrelevant.

Personally, I think Calgary did the only responsible thing they could. Sutter said from the start that if Fleury could not make the team, he would not sign him to 2 way deal. It was big club or nothing. And who would you take out of the line up to put Fleury in for?? You would never take a roster spot on the 3rd or 4th line to a younger player who is developing and is as good or better than Fleury is today. Everyone knew it was a long shot including Fleury himself.

Although I do think it's a cool thing for him to try a comeback and retire with a reasonably clean slate. People can remember a 41 yr old comeback kid over a 36 yr old problem child.

In the end, I hope people can look at what he did on the ice. If I posted of a player who averaged more than a PPG over a 15 year career, over 400 goals, a Cup winner, a Turner Cup winner, World Junior Winner, Canada Cup winner, World Championship, and an Olympic Gold medalist, most would say HOF for sure. Even more so if that player was 5'6" and 180 lbs.

Why does it become a question when it's discovered that player is Theo Fluery.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  20:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Fleury has officially retired and now it is on "His own terms." :)

Fleury was a very solid player, sad it diminished with a substance abuse problem, but i'm very happy he has had a chance to redeem himself and Officially retire, on his terms.

He does not want to play for any other team in the NHL, understandably.

...I think he can now finally, be put in the HHOF.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page