Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Steve Downie NHL or not Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  05:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I absolutely dispise this guy. I was glad to see his head pounded in by Carkner. They were talking about him after the game on the team 1200 on the post game show about his dirty hit on Mcammond and at one they said he should not be in the NHL and when people play they are afraid. At one point one guy said that sometimes it looks like he is going to kill somebody. What do you guys think? NHL or not?

Choices:

Yes NHL he does his job well
No he could hurt someone

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  17:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not neccisarily say "No, he could hurt someone."
But I would say no.

The reason being is that, since going to the NHL he has not put up production, or done anything VALID for any team thus far. The only thing he has done, that is notable, is a few suspensions and dirty plays. The NHL does not need him, no team needs him.

In my opinion. And, I don't say this often as I could never make the NHL, so he has some skill in some aspect of hockey, I just can't see where these days.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  17:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see the Sens finally get revenge for the Mcammond hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnU222Otig

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  11:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch it, beans is gonna tell you that this fight shouldn't have happened cause fighting is baddddd! My thoughts every time Ottawa plays Downie he is gonna get a beating until his career is a bad memory. Truly a prick player who took out a classy player like Dean for a piss poor reason.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  14:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Watch it, beans is gonna tell you that this fight shouldn't have happened cause fighting is baddddd! My thoughts every time Ottawa plays Downie he is gonna get a beating until his career is a bad memory. Truly a prick player who took out a classy player like Dean for a piss poor reason.

Get a grip!

You might want also take a look at the other thread on this topic, where I clearly talk about this Downie kid and what a tool he is. But, beating the crap out of him does nothing. Nothing at all. Seriously, the Sens would be better off letting this tool skate around like a moron and punish his team on the scoreboard when he takes the stupid penalty.

Or, you can fight him and take one of your players off the ice for 5 minutes as well.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9629
( )

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  17:18:38  Reply with Quote
Funny how when Downie was on the Canadian juniors everyone loved it when he hammered the s*** out of Malkin,now even what 2 or 3 years later there's still whining senators fans crying about this cheap shot on McCammond. I guess you must have forgot sensfan101 about a kicking Havlat, twice mind you, and a biting Ruutu or what ever the hell his name is. Give me a break. You need a new hobby
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  18:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, i've never even thought much about the McAmmond hit, and I am Senators fan.

What comes to mind when thinking about Downie is not any single hit, in fact. It's everything combined. This guy has not had just one or two incidents over a long NHL career. He's had many, over a very, very short career. Then if you take in to account his junior incidents on top of that, he's just a goof.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest9629
( )

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  18:59:57  Reply with Quote
Guess what. There are a lot of goofs in the NHL. If this guy had on a senators jersey you whining senators fans would want him in the hall of fame
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  19:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9629

Guess what. There are a lot of goofs in the NHL. If this guy had on a senators jersey you whining senators fans would want him in the hall of fame

LOL.

You could not be farther from the truth. I don't mind certain "goons", but Downie is certainly not one of them. Sens player or NOT.

I can live with a guy like Laraque, who's sole purpose is to fight, but he does not play dirty... at all.

A guy like Avery, I also dislike. But even Avery is ranked higher in my books than Downie, only because Avery has atleast shown he has some hockey skill, so far. Downies hasn't even done that.

So, don't come on here trying to tell people "my" opinion, as you have no clue what I am thinking.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest9629
( )

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  19:26:34  Reply with Quote
Give me a break Irvine. If Downie layed out a player on Tampa Bay, you would't even know his name.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  21:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you give me a break.

This guy (no matter what team he plays for, or has in the past), has done NOTHING good for the game of hockey, or for his team.

If he could produce numbers or play a physical, yet CLEAN game, I may overlook his stupidity. But he doesn't.

All this kid does is create dumb penalties against himself, which ultimatly hurts his team and makes questionable hits that seem to cause more suspensions than anything.

He does not think before he acts, ever. It's not like he has played in the NHL for 10 years, and did something dumb. That can be accepted. Or like he's a rookie, messed up. And has learned from his mistake. He continues to do these things, almost every game!

I can't overlook that, no matter if he plays for Tampa Bay or Ottawa. He just does nothing of good.

(By the way...) I HATE Avery. But I still have more respect for Avery than I do Downie. Because atleast Avery has shown when he's focused, he can actually play some hockey.

Ruutu, here's an Ottawa Senator for an example. I think Ruutu does some very questionable things, which has caused me to lose respect for him. But he does not do these things day-in, day-out. And he's actually a solid penalty killer. What does Downies do, besides this sideshows?

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest9629
( )

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  05:38:20  Reply with Quote
If you can respect Sean Avery in any way shape or form. I have nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  08:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything Avery has done has been off the ice. Has he ever been suspended for an on-ice infraction??? From what I can find, the guy has never been suspended for anything he has done on the ice. In fact, I would challenge anyone to provide the detail of a single player getting hurt by the actions of Sean Avery.

Admittedly, the guy is a complete douche off the ice. There is no doubt about it. No arguement from me on that what so ever. He does not have that filter that other have between his brain and his mouth. Although, what has he done since his the 'sloppy seconds' comment??? Maybe he's learned?? But, he is easily the best instigator in the league and when his mouth is shut, he has the skill and speed to play top 6 forward minutes, PP and PK, and is a huge value to the team.

When his mouth is shut.

I would take 50 Sean Avery's over a single Steve Downie. Downie might have had a great junior career, but as a pro, I have no use for him. Reckless and intentionally injurying players is a joke to the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  10:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no doubt that Downie is a very dirty player.

Don't worry, he'll get suspended very soon . . . probably after he ends someone's career.

It is too bad fighting him doesn't seem to have any effect. I just wish that the refs would call tougher penalties, game misconducts and suspensions on the kinds of dirty plays that are the bread and butter of an idiot like Downie.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest8933
( )

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:31:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Everything Avery has done has been off the ice. Has he ever been suspended for an on-ice infraction??? From what I can find, the guy has never been suspended for anything he has done on the ice. In fact, I would challenge anyone to provide the detail of a single player getting hurt by the actions of Sean Avery.

Admittedly, the guy is a complete douche off the ice. There is no doubt about it. No arguement from me on that what so ever. He does not have that filter that other have between his brain and his mouth. Although, what has he done since his the 'sloppy seconds' comment??? Maybe he's learned?? But, he is easily the best instigator in the league and when his mouth is shut, he has the skill and speed to play top 6 forward minutes, PP and PK, and is a huge value to the team.

When his mouth is shut.

I would take 50 Sean Avery's over a single Steve Downie. Downie might have had a great junior career, but as a pro, I have no use for him. Reckless and intentionally injurying players is a joke to the NHL.

Avery is a first class ass on and off the ice. There was a incident with tucker, brodeur, and a late hit on someone when he was with flyres just off the top of my head. Beans you must have posted this first on emotion without your usual excellent due dilligence. I agree with the posts that say downie hasn't done anything to merit a stay in the nhl, and to go one step farther there should be a rule if you are a forward you should have to score a min amount in 82 games to stay in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  14:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting for the information showing Avery hurting a player. Has a single NHL player missed a game because of something Avery did??

I'll never argue the guy can be a complete tool on the ice. I might even admit to a little dirty. However, Downie is not only dirty, he is down right dangerous. This guy will eventually end someone's career.

This arguement is not about Avery and his impending sainthood. The arguement was a comparison between Avery and Downie. There is no comparison. Downie is a hack and a danger. Avery is a player who is an instigator.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  16:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Beans. And that is where I was going with this. Avery is an ass, and I dislike the guy. But I'd much rather Avery in the league than Downie. Downie has done NOTHING for his team. Atleast Avery can provide some actual hockey skill.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  16:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ottawa Sun, Oct 15th

He was more serious when he said Downie tried to gouge his eyes when Carkner had him pinned on the ice at the end of the fight. When it was pointed#65279; out that Downie appeared to try and kick him, Carkner confirmed thats what had happened and called Downie a dirty little player who he was just trying to send a message. Said Carkner: I told him, 'Dont kick me bud or itll get real nasty.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  17:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was certainly getting back at Downie for the McAmmond hit!!!!.
Are you frickin kidding me, Carkner pounded his head in? What fight were you watching? Carkner is at least 7" taller then Downie and gotta be 30 or 40 pounds heavier then Downie. He should been able to rag doll him all over the ice. Instead he is even luck to land one solid hit. It is almost as bad as Chris Neal, who never fights anyone in his size.
Give me a break. If I was Downie I would have been laughing all the way back to Tampa.
Also after watching almost every clip of this incident, I cannot find one part where Downie a) tries to claw out Carkners eyes. His hands never make it near there. b) he attempts to kick Carkner. There is a kick motion but it is an attempt to get out from underneath.
Also I would like point out that Downie has cleaned up his act this season. He has played a little bit more like that kid in the world junior. Reports from his AHL teamates from last year says the kid has grown up and learned a little something which is why Rick Tocchet gave him the nod with big club this year.
I am not saying that I support or even liked the dangerous style of game he played before, heck I borderline hate him as player, but I think he you all watch him, he has changed is over aggressiveness.
How can a Sens fan say anything about dirty players when you have one of the dirtiest players in the league, Ruuttu!!!! Talk about a player who contributes nothing to the game. Ah heck I will go on forever about this, best to stop now!
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  04:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Yeah, that was certainly getting back at Downie for the McAmmond hit!!!!.
Are you frickin kidding me, Carkner pounded his head in? What fight were you watching? Carkner is at least 7" taller then Downie and gotta be 30 or 40 pounds heavier then Downie. He should been able to rag doll him all over the ice. Instead he is even luck to land one solid hit. It is almost as bad as Chris Neal, who never fights anyone in his size.
Give me a break. If I was Downie I would have been laughing all the way back to Tampa.
Also after watching almost every clip of this incident, I cannot find one part where Downie a) tries to claw out Carkners eyes. His hands never make it near there. b) he attempts to kick Carkner. There is a kick motion but it is an attempt to get out from underneath.
Also I would like point out that Downie has cleaned up his act this season. He has played a little bit more like that kid in the world junior. Reports from his AHL teamates from last year says the kid has grown up and learned a little something which is why Rick Tocchet gave him the nod with big club this year.
I am not saying that I support or even liked the dangerous style of game he played before, heck I borderline hate him as player, but I think he you all watch him, he has changed is over aggressiveness.
How can a Sens fan say anything about dirty players when you have one of the dirtiest players in the league, Ruuttu!!!! Talk about a player who contributes nothing to the game. Ah heck I will go on forever about this, best to stop now!

Ruutu may be a pest but he is definatley not dirty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page