Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS FANS!!! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  12:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really dont get it at all...I just read a post by someone who claims that philly fans are the worst in the nhl... does anyone agree with this? I live in Philadelphia and have been raised on flyers hockey. I consider myself and fellow flyers fans to be pretty knowledgeable, respectful fans...why do we get such a bad rap?

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  13:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that was the reputation you wanted?????

Players and fans around the league seems to agree that Philly fans are the most intimidating.

But to me the worst fans are the Habs fans.
1. Booing the Star Spangle Banner,
2. Riots in the city after teams success or stuff they don't agree with,
3. Stealing the chant from brazilian and thinking it's their own,
4. Singing NaNaNa Goodbye in November when they know the team are coming back later in the season.
5. Booing a 21 years old goalie in the playoffs (Price)
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  13:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha we dont want to be known as the worst fans. we have excellent fans here...aside from a few bad apples but you get that everywhere. we like to have other teams nervous to play in our building, thats what we aim for.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  15:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my brother is a Phillyfan and I'm not and I hate the flyers.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I thought that was the reputation you wanted?????

Players and fans around the league seems to agree that Philly fans are the most intimidating.

lol hense the signing of Ray Emery, all they need is Sean Avery, and Dany Heatley and they'll have the 3 worst behavior and the worst attitude players in the NHL today...

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

5. Booing a 21 years old goalie in the playoffs (Price)

I am not one to stick up for Montreal, I hate them as much as a I hate Ottawa and Detroit... But Booing a 21 year old Carey Price is no different then us Leafs fan booing Toskala most games last year... Both Carey Price and Vesa Toskala gave up too easy, they looked like they weren't even trying, they didn't seem to care, letting in easy goals that a 2 year old would have stopped... I can see why the fans would boo them

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  18:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me say just one thing. There are good fans and bad fans in every city, for every team, pro or otherwise. Unfortunately, it's the bad one's that people remember.

However, A true fan NEVER boos their own team. There have been times that I have been so frustrated with the Oilers, I vowed to never watch hockey again. But I have NEVER booed by own team.

A true fan never does.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  19:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Let me say just one thing. There are good fans and bad fans in every city, for every team, pro or otherwise. Unfortunately, it's the bad one's that people remember.

However, A true fan NEVER boos their own team. There have been times that I have been so frustrated with the Oilers, I vowed to never watch hockey again. But I have NEVER booed by own team.

A true fan never does.

Beans, thank you for your opinion, but like i often do, i disagree. You're basically saying i'm not a "true fan" because i've booed my team? That's ridiculous. If i'm paying my hard earned money and i don't feel the effort is there, they'll hear about it. I'm not saying i boo everytime they play poorly but it's all about effort! If i booed everytime they sucked, i'd have done a lot of booing over the years! I simply need to see effort to justify the money these guys make and it's up to me to decide if the money i spend to support them is being rewarded.

If there's some rule or definition out there that i'm unaware of that says "A true fan never boos their own team", i guess then i'm not a true Canucks fan, and i'd be okay with that!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  22:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my opinion. The simple fact of the matter is that I am an Oiler fan. Not because of anything they are doing on the ice right now. I will alway be a fan. A true fan supports their team regardless. If the effort isn't there, do you think booing helps anything?? Silence is as powerful as booing. In some cases more so.

It's simply my opinion. If you are true fan of your team and behind them regardless, booing them to me is disrespectful to the team that you love. Why would you want to disrespect the team that you love???
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  23:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It's my opinion. The simple fact of the matter is that I am an Oiler fan. Not because of anything they are doing on the ice right now. I will alway be a fan. A true fan supports their team regardless. If the effort isn't there, do you think booing helps anything?? Silence is as powerful as booing. In some cases more so.

It's simply my opinion. If you are true fan of your team and behind them regardless, booing them to me is disrespectful to the team that you love. Why would you want to disrespect the team that you love???

Does booing help? Sure, it helps me feel better, get's my frustrations out. At least i'm not Philly fan tossing batteries! In truth, i rarely boo, but will not say i never have. I just don't think i'm any less of a fan for doing it. To each their own....s'all good.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  08:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really don't get it at all? No?

From a couple of days ago - you may not have heard of it, because the NHL hushes things like this up, as it's a black eye for the league:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20091005_Fans_in_knife_fight_after_Flyers_bus_trip.html

Other Noteable Events:
* Fans Throw Smokebombs!
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/24/face-painted-flyers-fan-faces-charges/

* Fans boo Brodeur as he breaks Parent's record, and the classy Flyers rink staff make no mention or announcement of the record:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2006021200

* Tie Domi/fans incident:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/2001/03/29/leafs_flyers_ap/

* Worst fan brawl ever? 1972 FLyers/Blues
http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/printpost.php?tid/175249/

There is a culture of fighting and violence in Philadelphia Flyers history, starting mostly with the Broad Street Bullies. When looking at the top 25 longest NHL suspensions, the Flyers have the most entries:
5th - Jesse Boulerice, Philadelphia Flyers, 25 games, cross-checking Ryan Kesler in the face, October 10, 2007
10th - Steve Downie, Philadelphia Flyers, 20 games, September 28, 2007 illegal hit on Dean McAmmond
15th - Dave Brown, Philadelphia Flyers, 15 games, November 1987
22nd - Ron Hextall, Philadelphia Flyers, 12 games, May 1989, attacked Chris Chelios

. . . and the Flyers fans revere their bullies. Bobby Clarke, a formerly talented bully (and scumbag of a person, IMHO) who owns the team, has tried to stack the team with bullies in his image. The fans ask for it, and they get it.

Is there any other fan website that has a heading for "fights"? And check out some of the language used on the blogs . . . they do love their violence:
http://www.flyersfancentral.com/category/hockey/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/blogs/

Even Flyers fans admit to the reputation, knowing it is somewhat deserved:
http://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/04/08/in-defense-of-flyers-fans/

And finally, a comment on the idolisation of Pelle Lindbergh.
This young, super-talented goalie won the Vezina in 84/85, and was being touted as the next Bernie Parent at the end of that season, leading the NHL with 40 victories. He died in what is often described as a "tragic road accident", and although his number wasn't officially retired, no one has worn his #31 for the FLyers since.

What often isn't mentioned, is that he was blind drunk (alcohol level of .24% !!!) and that he seriously injured two others, slamming into a wall in front of an elementary school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Lindbergh

This is a "Flyers Hero" to some fans:
http://www.flyershistory.net/cgi-bin/hero.cgi?hero_9_

Of course, the whole incident was whitewashed. The police stated at one point that a person of Pelle's weight would have to consume 15 beers in 4 hours to reach that alcohol limit, but all of the trainers, players and other Flyers people at the after hours party insisted that he didn't seem drunk when he left the party.

I searched in vain to find out how serious or debilitating the injuries (at the time) to passenger Edward Parvin were - he had a fractured skull and was in critical condition, but my google-fu failed me when trying to find out whatever happened to him. Because of this, I have a feeling it was pretty bad.

Shame on any Flyers fan who tries to idolise an irresponsible drunk like that. Sure, respect the skills and accomplishments he had on the ice, but that's it.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  11:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i think there may be a little bit of flyers envy going on here...we've been a great franchise ever since we stepped foot in the nhl!!
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe i'll do that...and in the mean time maybe phoenix and colorado will relocate to canada where there will be even less fans attending games which is why they got moved in the first place. real hockey fans you are...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok folks, cut out the personal attacks. They have no value to the forum and any further attacks will be removed. I have already removed some of these posts.

Keep it on topic please.

Edited by - Beans15 on 10/12/2009 13:38:11
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok phlyguy what kind of post replies do you think you would get putting up a topic like this and then taking a jab at canadians! Canada is the birthplace of hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7149
( )

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  14:06:17  Reply with Quote
Us Flyers fans are the most knowledgeable, respectful fans there are. I think everyone's just jealous cause the Flyers have always been in the spotlight in every NHL city out there!!!
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  19:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7149

Us Flyers fans are the most knowledgeable, respectful fans there are. I think everyone's just jealous cause the Flyers have always been in the spotlight in every NHL city out there!!!

i hope to God that u are kidding and that u r just trying to stir it up with the rest of us.

Edited by - sharksfan44 on 10/12/2009 19:12:54
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  19:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phlyguy90

maybe i'll do that...and in the mean time maybe phoenix and colorado will relocate to canada where there will be even less fans attending games which is why they got moved in the first place. real hockey fans you are...

honestly????? i can guarantee that if phoenix moved to somewhere in canada they would sell out.

"real hockey fans u are". u got to be kidding me. i'm not even going to say anything else to that because that's just ridicolous
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  12:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
then why are you from canada and claim to be a san jose sharks fan? are you a frontrunner? or like 15? hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Guest9124
( )

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  13:19:17  Reply with Quote
I'm a habs fan myself and I have lived in Ottawa all my life. I'm 23 years old so I have not been around the glory days of the HABS but I do remember the 1993 Satnley Cup run pretty well. Most of my friends are Ottawa Senators fans and as far as I know, they are the worst fans out there.

I have always had respect for loyal fans, wether the team is doing good or bad. In my opinion, the best/worst fans are truly measured when the team isn't doing good for a long period. Teams like Montreal, Toronto and Philly have not won in a long time, especially the last two, but the fans keep showing up and supporting their teams nevertheless.

When a team is doing bad and the fans aren't showing up and demonstrating their displeasure, then you know the fans are the worst. In Ottawa, I had to put up with the most cocky fans possible for the last 8-10 years when the team was finishing in the top 3 almost every year and had their Stanley Cup run a couple years ago. Now, they aren't filling more than 80% of the arena on most nights.

So if you're gonna laugh at Toronto for not winning the Cup in decades, or Montreal for singing OLE OLE or NA NA NA NA (Goodbye) or whoever else for being the worst fans...at least those teams have loyal fans, and those are the best fans in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  14:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

then why are you from canada and claim to be a san jose sharks fan? are you a frontrunner? or like 15? hahaha

because the first hockey game i ever watched was a san jose sharks game, which they won and ever since then i've been a sharks fan. wut does that even have to do with anything? i'm a frontrunner because i live in canada and i cheer for a team from the states????????
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
phlyguy so if canadians like an american team were frontrunners? i cheer for 2 american teams and one canadian which are Buffalo tampabay and toronto so i guess im a front runner, stop trying to put people down to make urself seem smarter every one on this site knows ur intelligence level which isnt very high i might add.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  08:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ENOUGH!!!

Seriously, the personal attacks, personal questions about people, etc is completely garbage and has no relevance to this or any other threads.

What is so hard to understand about that???

IF IT'S NOT ABOUT HOCKEY, DON'T POST IT!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Guest9629
( )

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  18:14:05  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the passion from US fans whether it's Philly or anywhere else, it's better than them just sitting on their hands.
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  13:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly fans are great! they love their team! coming from Winnipeg just keep it up or you might lose your team...

MP
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  15:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly fans are basically the worst in the NHL. Not because they dont show up, but because they have displayed the worst behaviour once they do. If the flyers win the cup or phillies repeat, I would not want to have a car parked downtown or own a business, as it stands a good chance to get destroyed.

Also, phlyguy90 is challenging for worst series of posts in a forum consecutively, keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh trust me....i will keep it up. this website would be boooooring without me to stir the pot.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4987
( )

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:20:40  Reply with Quote
quote:

personally i think there may be a little bit of flyers envy going on here...we've been a great franchise ever since we stepped foot in the nhl!!

I don't think so. The flyers SUCK

OILERS ROCK
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saying a certain city has the worst fans doesnt really seem fair to me. Most fans are the same, doesnt matter what city you are from. The only thing that changes are the colours you wear.

Some city's fanbae may not have as many truley passionate fans as say Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton, but that doesnt make them worse fans imo.

For me, the worst kind of fan is the fairweather fan. The one that gets down on the team when they arent playing so well, and will also hop back on the bangwagon when they start to pick it up again. There are a ton of those in Toronto right now, it has become fashionable to make fun of the leafs right now, but the minute they are competitive again, alot of them will be cheering their hearts out. Pisses me off.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page