Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Mitchell Hit on Toews Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  18:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans you are right on this point. Rules could be made to restrict hits to the head and equipment should be more safe and upto date. I am all for stupid looking helmets if it means guys like Lindros, and Lafontaine have a full and happy career. I am all for restricting hits to the head and/or head hunting. Any intentional head contact should result in a game misconduct, if a resulting injury match suspension. You would then have more responsible checking.

Some are using the NFL to compare injuries to the NHL. You cant compare the 2 games. Why do QB get more head injuries? Because a QB sack is a celebrated stat and rocking the QB is considered a higlight reel play. High accolades are given for a sack leader. No one says why is this defensive guy more responsible for head injuries or concussions unless he uses a illegal play. Why do concussions and head injuries happen at a higher % in the NHL than in the NFL or any other major sport. The helmet is smaller than the NFL helmet and are easier to remove or fall off. The players are moving faster so the collision speed is higher. The playing surface is harder.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9554
( )

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  19:04:06  Reply with Quote
In my opinion this hit was a perfectly fine clean hard hit. I love hard hits but not when their dirty or to injure another player. This hit was not. Toews just had his head down at the wrong time and Mitchell hit him. He wasn't trying to injure him
Go to Top of Page

Guest2120
( )

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  22:48:16  Reply with Quote
Ok, since we're talking football here, lets try and get our facts straight. Its been said several times that "the NFL has reduced the number of concussions, especially to the QB."

Thats half true. It depends how you measure it.

NFL players rarely leave the game these days because of a concussion injury. NHL players in the last two weeks seem to leave every second game with a concussion injury. But recent studies have shown that post-retirement, NFL players have horrible, and I mean absolutely atrocious head problems. There is lots of recent data on this, much of it suggesting that small, non-game-leaving hits are the culprit.

Its a bit of a long read, but this is an absolutely excellent article on the NFL and pot-retirement head trauma. It can obviously apply to the NHL as well..

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  07:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2120, interesting article, thanks for the link.

As for the NFL, they've at least made "some" progress. However, they must have allowed the NHL to handle things this past week. They decided to fine the Bengals' Chad "Ocho Cinco" $10,000 for wearing a black chin strap on his helmut (supposed to be white) and then turned around and fined Larry English of the Chargers $7,500 for a horse-collar tackle on a Denver Bronco. A larger fine for the wrong chin strap compared to a very dangerous tackle? Go figure? The NHL had to have been invovled.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest2120
( )

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  18:28:41  Reply with Quote
Your're right, they've made some progress. And in the end, it's a contact game, just like hockey, hits & injuries will happen.

I actually missed the English hit. I also don't know too much about the NFL fining schemes.

But here's a thought on the OchoCinco incident. Fines always follow where the money is. There's no money to be made in big hits. In a sense there is, because it draws fans etc etc, but that could be said about all plays or antics, What I mean, is that the NFL gives up big money in advertising contracts to keep player's uniforms free of anything they don't want on there. Draw a comparision here to the European leagues, Moto anyone?

Think of it this way, if Chad Ochocinco decided he was going to start wearing Nike chin straps, Nike Advertising Managers start high fiving each other. Nike sales go up, and so does 85's bank account. Without league wide restrictions, and hefty fines, players would be encouraged to do stuff like this.

I'm not sure if thats true obviously, just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  23:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2120....very good points, and i agree. I have no prob with their rules regarding advertising, etc. I have a prob though, when a fine for a dangerous play is less than a fine for an infraction of a dress code! At least make the horse-collar tackle $20k or something? Either way, does it really matter to these multi-millionaires?

My biggest beef with the NFL is not allowing a TD celebration!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4948
( )

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  07:34:50  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't think I have every watched a hit like this with a player coming out of the penalty box. Interesting to say the least.

And I know I am not the popular opinion on this, but did the hit really have to be that hard??? This could have been a more reasonable hit and still had the same impact. Instead, Toews is out with a concussion.

Coaches teach players to hunt for guys with the head down and cream them. To me, this is intent to injury.

Again, I know I am not the popular opinion on this matter.

Dude...this is hockey. Hockey involves violent hits. The players who play the game consent to this. The fans who watch it (the vast majority of them) consent to this. If you don't like hitting, watch curling! Or women's hockey! Some sports aren't made for petunias like you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page