Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Worst hockey sportscasters Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  13:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is the worst hockey sportscaster ???

Choices:

Al "I make a living out of making little to no sense" Strachan
Pierre " I wouldn''t piss on him if he were on fire" Mguire
Glenn "Jesus Christ give him a GM job and get him off tv" Healey
Doug "just go away and die" Maclean
Darren "what Bob Mackenzie said" Dreger
Nick "i should still be lying in a pool of my own blood" Kypreos

Edited by - willus3 on 01/05/2010 06:41:02

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude pierre mcguire is brutal!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand the "I call everyone a Monster and then say they are crap" Pierre McGuirre. I mean really! The guy was a former NHL assistant coach/scout on one of the best teams of the past 30 years! I could have coached that team to the Stanley Cup. Then when he was an NHL coach, he couldn't win! He has ZERO credibility in the hockey world and the only reason he is on TV is that he is loud. He is TSN's weak attempt at a head to head with Cherry. There is a reason the guy can't find a real hockey job and hasn't been able to for nearly 20 years.

Kevin Weekes on the late game son HNIC is getting pretty grating too. I think he went to hockey broadcast school in the summer and still has his text books open for all his cliche's.

Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep mguire is just awful i mean that literally when i say i wouldnt piss on him if he were on fire. not to mention he thinks every player that has touched a puck this year deserves consideration for the olympic team. Wouldn't be surprised if steve yzerman shanks him sometime between now and december
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:41:50  Reply with Quote
kypreios is to sportsnet what piere is to tsn
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya not a fan of him either but at least they don't put his ass between the benches during games and give him a headset. must say its pretty obvious he had to retire from concussions.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Pierre is really annoying when he does the games on tsn but he is on the radio every weekday morning on the team 1200 in Ottawa and he actually does a really good job

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  15:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going off the list and saying Mickey Redmond in Detroit. He very rarely remembers players names if they are not Redwings.
I think what bothers me the most about him is undeniable bias towards the Wings. I cannot think of another sportscaster with as much bias. Every play for Detroit is spectacular and every penalty is unjustified call against the wings. It often makes me turn the channel instead of watching a great team in Detroit.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  15:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya i've noticed that too porkchop, and every time i watch highlights and its the wings, every scoring chance by the wings all you ever hear is a loud grunt or "oh", and thats it. the play by play guy stops as if mickey is gunna say something else but after about 3 seconds he realizes mickey is done lol

as for the poll i went with pierre "Crosby is the second coming of jesus christ" mcguire
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  15:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never seen a detroit broadcast but im sure that guy is terrible just like bob cole who half the time thinks he is calling a basketball game
Go to Top of Page

Guest4863
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  17:52:18  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Kypreos. He is way too close-minded and way too confrontational. It seems like CBC hires mediocre NHL-ers (Kevin Weekes, PJ Stock, etc) and TSN hires former NHL coaches looking for a new gig (Peter Laviolette, Craig MacTavish).
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  19:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, Personally I kinda like the sandpaper that Kypreos brings to the table. I don't always agree with what he is saying, but you will never get the 'tow the NHL line' answers out of Kypreos.

Hands down, bar none the smartest, best hockey guy on tv is Ron McLean. Absolutely hands down. I loved the fact that he had the cones a couple of years ago to take up Colin Campbell's offer to ref a preseason game when McLean was being critical of the officals in the playoffs.

McLean has a way of saying what is on everyone's mind without sounding anything but classy and intelligent.

MacT, surprisingly, is like that too. Very well spoken, educated guy. Too bad his players don't listen to him and he wants everyone on this team to be a 3rd line centre.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  19:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you kidding Maclean hasnt had an original thought in years and i was sickened by how he lambasted poor michael liambas over that whole situation. And all he does is plug what he did years ago in columbus as if drafting Rick Nash was a hard decision that even John ferguson Jr couldn't have screwed up.

and I cannot believe i forgot to put P.J. "Monkey boy" Stock on there I feel shame on that one.

totally agree about Ron Mclean though i love when he interviews bettman

Edited by - Tiller33 on 11/16/2009 19:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  19:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya i read that wrong you totally meant ron haha just cant stand doug mclean sorry
Go to Top of Page

Guest3343
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  22:18:22  Reply with Quote
i like weeks
Go to Top of Page

Guest6621
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  07:52:20  Reply with Quote
pierre mcguire is the biggest joke of a commentator out there. i was so upset last year when they decided to broadcast the whole flames-blackhawks series on tsn. everytime calgary scored it was a fantastic defensive play by duncan keith and brent seabrook????
Go to Top of Page

Guest2788
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  08:29:27  Reply with Quote
even my wife realizes that pierre mcguire is a total moron. All he does is emphasise the same thing over again and again and again...
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  09:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ppicked McGuire from the list too, but the worst to me is Sens announcer Dean "I'm the biggest homer in the league" Brown.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kypreos, Dregar, Cherry, Ron McLean and Bob Cole are the best.

McGuire, Milbury, Doug Maclean, and Strachan are the worst.

I dont really like Jim Hughson either.... I miss Bob Cole on HNIC, he is the best play by play voice of all time imo.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it was Pierre McGuire by a nose, just ahead of Al Strachan, who I also can't stand.

McGuire is loud without being entertaining; his observations are most often child-like in their idiocy; and his attempt at giving flash to the broadcast booth only serves to annoy everyone within a ten-mile radius of his grating voice. You can even catch the eye-rolls once in a while from other broadcasters and commentators! If he continues to stand in between the benches, he is bound to get an "accidental" puck in the face, and I for one will celebrate it!

Al Strachan I find to be a boob with an annoying voice and no insight. He also gives bad insight, but at least he doesn't have quite the idiotic antics of McGuire.

To comment on Maclean - I agree with Beans, in that there isn't a guy with more pure hockey knowledge than he has. He is a walking encyclopedia of hockey, and knows every facet of the game it seems, inside-out. He must have no life outside of hockey, and I pity his wife, lol.
That aside, I find Maclean too politically correct for my tastes, and he always plays the diplomat first, towing the party line, and then only offers his opinion (rarely) second . . . although, he is starting to get better - and he does give his opinion when he feels really strongly about something. At any rate, I do enjoy his insights and knowledge, and he's certainly not annoying, and I appreciate the fact that he is perhaps the smoothest hockey broadcaster/commentator out there in terms of speaking on the fly and knowing what he is talking about.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4795
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:49:06  Reply with Quote
i am also goin off the grid as far as the worst sportscaster. thank god that the dallas stars needed a coach because marc crawford was easily the worst sportscaster ever he didn't have a clue what was goin on
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worst:
3. Glenn Healey
2. Pierre McGuire
1. Bob Cole

Half the time poor bob will go off on some random tangent, forget what he was saying and talk until he is cut off for commercial break.

The other half of the time will be spent being absolutely clueless about the game going on in front of him. I had a mental 'integer overflow' trying to count the number of times he said 'it looks like we have a penalty call on the way' while every viewer yells at their tv that it's just an offside, or vice versa.

If he was an announcer for anyone but the leafs most of his life he would not be on tv.

(end of rant that has been bothering me for a while)
Go to Top of Page

Guest0455
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  11:01:52  Reply with Quote
the 2 worst arnt on the list.
Don Cherry is getting so senile i cant even laugh at him mis-pronouncing the odd european name because he mispronounces EVERY name now. While Ron tries to lead him through coaches corner like a 5 year old on one of those leashes in a mall.
Bob McKenzie is also horrible, what is this guy's pedigree? he doesnt look like an ex player. Give me his job.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  11:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob cole is the reason Harry Neale now does sabres games, he got sick tired of rescuing every leafs broadcast he had to do with cole.

As for strachan the guy is just terrible his only stance is to be negative towards whatever subject matter he discusses and was usually so ill informed as to make an ass of himself on the national broadcast of the hotstove hence the reason he got booted off.

I hated him as a coach and GM but i gotta say i love milbury on the hot stove
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  17:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After his comment that Mike Fisher should be on the Olympic team I think Greg Millen should be nominated in here jesus he's retarded.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

Destrovi
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  08:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre "John Tavares's Magical Play, John Tavares's Magical Play, ..... whos Jordan Eberle?" McGuire is really a pain to watch and listen to. Too bad on some nights, its the only broadcast with NHL games playing.

On the other hand, Ron Maclean oozes poetry, and really does shine out of everyone including Don Cherry in the Hockey Night in Canada segments. Jim Hughson isnt that bad too. The Bruins and the Sabres play by play commentators are entertaining to listen to also.
Go to Top of Page

Destrovi
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  08:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I guess, being from Canada, I'm bias on CBC, but what other network do you really need? Americans will probably understand our love for the game, if they just get exposed to HNIC and their in-depth analysis for the game. American fans owe themselves to get a taste of HNIC. For those American Hockey fans, they probably already know what HNIC is all about anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  09:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't blame an american fan for not watching because the average broadcast on Fox or FSN is attrocious and the Versus broadcasts are even worse HNIC is the Monday Night Football for our country.

Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  10:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least with Strachan, we only have to put up with him when he is on the hotstove. Thank God he doesn't commentate games, or I think he would be the over the top choice for most.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4070
( )

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  11:41:44  Reply with Quote
I long for the days of that CBC strike 10 or so ysear ago when we could watch hockey and only hear the crowd, skating, puck and guys crashing the boards - no commentators or broadcasters - pure Heavan!
Pierre "Who's my monster" McGuire hets my vote by a landslide for the worst!
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  13:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre McGuire takes the cake for sure. If there was ever an example of being too enthusiastic, he is it. Can't stand him.

I don't know if he's classified as a sportscaster, or if he's even still doing it, but the few interviews/game breakdowns I saw with Garry Valk after Canucks games where just horrible. Just couldn't stand it.

Lastly, I like Kevin Weekes on HNIC! I didn't even mind Marc Crawford last year either, although that took some getting used to.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  14:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

At least with Strachan, we only have to put up with him when he is on the hotstove. Thank God he doesn't commentate games, or I think he would be the over the top choice for most.

Strachan has been booted off the hotstove from what i hear

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  08:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Cole may be a little too old to do games now, but If you have watched (listened) to him call games throughout his career you would agree that he is one of the all time best at calling a hockey game.

The guy actually called the play by play, not just tell some story then mention whats going on when someone scores a goal or takes a penalty. He had passion and emotion in his voice and could really get you fired up when he gets into the game.

Jim Hughson on the other hand is so freaking boring to listen to, he doesnt really call play by play, he more or less just talks about players and whats going in the hockey world as the game is going on. Not to mention his love affair with "Roberto Luongo!!!!"....

Bob MacKenzie has forgotten more about hockey than everyone on this site knows combined, dont knock the Bob. The guy is a hockey guru and is VERY well connected in the hockey world.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  08:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

Bob cole is the reason Harry Neale now does sabres games, he got sick tired of rescuing every leafs broadcast he had to do with cole.

Not true at all. First off, harry neale did most of his Leaf games with Joe Bowen. 2nd of all, harry lives in Buffalo and didnt want to commute to toronto for every game anymore. The Sabres offered him a gig so he could stay home and he took it.

Bob Cole doesnt even do the saturday night games anymore (at least not in toronto..... jim hughson does now)

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  08:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All due respect, if you are not a Leaf Fan, Bob Cole was one of the worst ever. It's not different than Rod Phillips. If you are an Edmonton fan, he's pure entertainment. However, he is a joke to any none Oiler Fan. Both of these guys have the same unhuman bais towards their teams. Cole for the Leafs and Phillips for the Oilers.

I really like Jim Hughson. He's refreshing compared to the Bob and Harry Show I was subjected to for so long.

And Bob MacKenzie?? The guy is one of the smartest guys in hockey. Honest, doesn't pull punches, and he knows the game. The guy has covered hockey for 25 years. The what "pedigree" does the guy have is irrelevant. Lou Lamorillo never played hockey. Ken Hitchcock never played hockey. It's irrelevant.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  09:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had a problem with Cole. As for other "homer" type guys, it's prob tough for them not to be? I think with Cole though, we heard him so much over the years because we've always been force fed the Leaf games on HNIC.

I like Hughson, but i have to tell you, when he started out with Gary Green ("Greener") as his colour guy, i had to mute the tv at times. Green was an absolute idiot and annoying to listen to. I'd prefer to listen to my grandmother tell me about losing her virginity to the entire offensive line from the high school football team than listen to "Greener" Okay, that was bad.....

Mackenzie, i agree, is very knowledgable and i enjoy listening to him. However, what's my opinion really worth when you consider this......i actually like Maguire
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  10:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

All due respect, if you are not a Leaf Fan, Bob Cole was one of the worst ever. .

i guess so then.... leaf blinders are a powerful thing. bob was always my fav

Go to Top of Page

Guest4052
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  12:16:12  Reply with Quote
Chris Cuthbert for most annoying play by play. Every minute there is a plug about a player's junior team or obscure home town. It's getting old. The capitals announcer for comcast is up there as well.

As for the best, Jim Hughson and Ron McClean. Loubradias is alright, Ferraro is pretty good. And lets not forget Rick Jenneret that guy is classic.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  13:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ferarro is such a breath of fresh air. Its about time a good new broadcaster came around.

I actually dont mind Cuthbert...

Go to Top of Page

Guest6392
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  09:03:15  Reply with Quote
Worst Hockey Sportscasters
1. Mark Lee
2. Pierre Maguire
3. Roger Millions/Gene Principe( the worst by far)

Best Hockey Sportscasters
1. Bob Cole
2. Chris Cuthbert
3. Jim Hughson/ Gord Miller
Go to Top of Page

nux-suk
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  11:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Far #1 Worst sportscaster is John Garret. He is not only a homer, but his analysis is worse than a blind deaf and dumb version of Howie Meeker
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page