Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Most UNDER rated player in the NHL? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  14:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Simply, who, in your opinion is the most UNDER rated player in the league?

Choices:

Tomas Fleischman-Capitals
James Neil-Stars
Brandon Dubinsky-Rangers
Ales Hemsky-Oilers
Ryan Clowe-Sharks
Anze Kopitar-Kings
Ryan Miller-Sabres
Other-In case I forgot anyone

Edited by - willus3 on 11/24/2009 16:03:21

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  14:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say patty sharp should be on there

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

Edited by - Tiller33 on 11/22/2009 12:21:41
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  15:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From your list I'd say Ryan Millar. Only because he is the game changer from your list and most dont remember him in there list of top 5 goalies. I had a hard time pointing out underated players, because most are overated. Maybe Valiquette on NYR. I figure that guy should be a starter.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  17:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this guy is the MOST underrated but he is definitely underrated...Kristian Huselius (CBJ). With the right linemate this guy can be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer (his peak so far is 34). He has incredibly soft hands and just doesn't garner the media attention he should. He's scored more than a few highlight real goals in his 9 year career. He is very capable of 80-90 points a season. I guess his issue has been consistency.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  21:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after watching the Blackhawks manhandle the Oilers tonight I'd have to say John Madden deserves more talk than he gets he's a former Selke winner who not alot of people notice on a team filled with snipers like Kane, Toews, Versteeg and soon to be Hossa, but he is about as reliable as they come and chips in offensively

Go to Top of Page

Guest4599
( )

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  02:07:26  Reply with Quote
From that list I would Ryan Miller, but he is anything but an underrated player. Since his breakout that one season when the Sabres went to the conference finals he has been consistently excellent. I believe the most underrated player, or at least for this season, is Rich Peverley. The guy has 24 points in 19 games and I never heard of him until October when he started to breakout.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  03:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baumer...welcome to a new member (the nice side of me)

Baumer...your poll is horrendous. (sorry, the bad side of me).

This shouldn't be a poll. You should just ask "Who do you think is the most underrated player....."

There's a real variety of guys you've listed. I really can't even compare some of these guys???
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  07:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of these guys arent really that underrated, but I'd say that Vinny Prospal has to be. The guy is a man on a mission this year after a dismal past couple seasons and just goes to show what a coach and some players can do.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  11:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love third or fourth liners who gets the job done.

Glen Metropolit, Tom Kostopoulous, Jay Pandolfo, John Mitchell.

EDIT : I forgot Rob Niedermayer

Edited by - Leafs81 on 11/22/2009 11:50:33
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  12:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you mean over rated apparent second - first liners that should be playing for the Toledo Walleye then yes John Mitchell should be on this list, but no its a list of underrated players.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  12:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

if you mean over rated apparent second - first liners that should be playing for the Toledo Walleye then yes John Mitchell should be on this list, but no its a list of underrated players.

It's exactly comments like this who puts him on the underrated list. And sometimes he plays first line, but he centers the third line more often then anything.

I didn't say Matt Stajan, I said John Mitchell, and yes he is underrated, by you anyway...
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  12:34:25  Reply with Quote
Most under-rated:
I think it's a tie between ALL The LEAF players....

Poor babies are playing their hearts out, with 50+ shots per game and somehow "still" managing to lose???
Why????
it's not fair....
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  13:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

Most under-rated:

Poor babies are playing their hearts out, with 50+ shots per game and somehow "still" managing to lose???
Why????
it's not fair....

If I had to choose one Leaf player it would be Ian White. He probably wouldn't have the same status with any other team but that's what makes him under rated. Man the guy can play defense, offense and he has saved more goals than Toskala playing goalie most nights. Infact I think he one of the only players on the Leafs that doesn't seem afraid to block a shot.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Guest4687
( )

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  13:59:38  Reply with Quote
Ryan Kesler, shows up every game and plays at both ends of the rink.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  16:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rene Bourque. If this guy played in Toronto Don Cherry would never stop talking about him.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  16:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Rene Bourque. If this guy played in Toronto Don Cherry would never stop talking about him.

I live in Alberta, huge Calgary fan, so im biased, but honestly the Flames have 3-4 guys that could be on this list. Bourque, Glencross, Lundmark, Nystrom, Moss. These guys get juggled back and forth, between four lines and perform in each and every one. Biased i know, but i remember watching two games last season where Glencross was first line and then thrid line the next game and he had great games both times. Ive seen them all do that multiple times, although the only other games i watch other than flames games are leafs games because their always on.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0977
( )

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  19:56:51  Reply with Quote
Sharp and Peverly were good ones mentioned. I'd also throw in Loui Eriksson, I a guy who's had virtually the same career growth and stats as Kessel with a fraction of the hype. Another could be Derek Roy, he has been fantastic for the Sabres over the years but yet you hear very little about him.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  18:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about brooks laich. this guy has had just a tremendous year so far. i had no idea he was this good until this year
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteroni

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

Most under-rated:

Why????
it's not fair....

If I had to choose one Leaf player it would be Ian White. He probably wouldn't have the same status with any other team but that's what makes him under rated. Man the guy can play defense, offense and he has saved more goals than Toskala playing goalie most nights. Infact I think he one of the only players on the Leafs that doesn't seem afraid to block a shot.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."

Yeah he's great, and he has proved to everybody that he's a solid consistant defenseman with his play of last year and this year so far. But a lot of people talks about him and knows he's good, therefor he's not underrated anymore, maybe a little bit but not that much.

Good game tonight Beauchemin!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6024
( )

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:32:54  Reply with Quote
Ryan Miller. Best goalie in NHL arguably.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:55:10  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4599

From that list I would Ryan Miller, but he is anything but an underrated player. Since his breakout that one season when the Sabres went to the conference finals he has been consistently excellent. I believe the most underrated player, or at least for this season, is Rich Peverley. The guy has 24 points in 19 games and I never heard of him until October when he started to breakout.

Peverly actually broke out last year. He was picked up off of waivers from Nashville than averaged nearly a point per game i believe for the rest of the season. Maybe you didn't hear about him cause it happened in Atlanta but I thought that was a pretty well known story lol.

As for underrated, Im not sure of who the most underrated is, but a couple guys that may be worthy of that title are Sharp, Armstrong, Neal and Laich. All of these guys are either in the shadows of some great players or aren't well known because of where they play. Id also like to give an honourable biased mention to Ryan Stone, for it seems like when he plays the Oilers play fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9298
( )

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  09:51:59  Reply with Quote
Who said Vinny Prospal?

Man on a mission? It's called Gaborik is awesome and Prospal is there not looking super-old therefore. I love Prospoal, but it's not him propelling Gaborik, it's Gaborik propelling Prospal.

I'd normally say Marc Savard, but he's kind of a known star now. I agree with whoever said Patrick Sharp. Toews gets all this attention and yeilds NO results. Sharp always has a better PPG despite 3-4 less minutes a game and no prime powerplay time (sometimes Versteeg joins Kane and Toews, now Hossa more)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4977
( )

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  13:56:11  Reply with Quote
Most underrateds, in no particular order, except the first one:
BRENT BURNS!!!
Dustin Brown
Stephane Giroux
Loui Eriksson
Jack Johnson
Rich Peverley
Dennis Wideman