Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Is Cristobal Huet a Number 1? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest6346
( )

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  19:00:26  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
How would you rank Cristobal Huet of the Chicago BlackHawks among his peers?

Choices:

top 5
top 10
top 15
top 20
top 25
top 30
he s a number 2
not a nhl goalie

Edited by - willus3 on 12/03/2009 07:25:39

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  19:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said top 20, but it would depend on what you mean by "ranking" him?

Does this mean, right now, for one game or one 7 game series?

Does it mean, if i were starting an expansion team?

Need to know what you mean......
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  20:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say this...

Cristobal Huet can be a starting a goaltender in the NHL today. This guy does not always get the credit he deserves. He has played well since coming in to the NHL and has averaged some respectable numbers. I would rank him higher than a few current NHL starters.

If I were to rank him out of the 60 current starters and backups, i'd place him around the 15th-20th position. He can be a starter and is getting better as time passes. If I were Chicago, I would see a decent future with him as my net minder.

There are definatley far better goaltenders in the league, but there are also worse.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think one has to consider how good of a team Huet is on in how good he is.

Ask yourself this:

If Huet was traded to (insert team name here) today, would he immediately replace the teams current #1 keeper??

I would suggest that most people would say he would not displace at least 15 teams current goalies and I personally think it would be closer to 20.

Huet is a legitimate #1 goalie on 10-15 teams in the league and would back up 15-20 teams in the league.

He's in the bottom 1/2 at least
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  10:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think one has to consider how good of a team Huet is on in how good he is.

Ask yourself this:

If Huet was traded to (insert team name here) today, would he immediately replace the teams current #1 keeper??

I would suggest that most people would say he would not displace at least 15 teams current goalies and I personally think it would be closer to 20.

Huet is a legitimate #1 goalie on 10-15 teams in the league and would back up 15-20 teams in the league.

He's in the bottom 1/2 at least

he has put up better numbers on non playoff teams,,,, i think i`d have him 15th out of all the starters in the league personaly.,..

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  11:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted top 25.

Fleury, Lundqvist, Brodeur, Roloson, Miller, Price, Thomas, Leclaire, Ward, Vokoun, Turco, Gigučre, Nabokov, Brysgalov, C. Mason, Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Luongo, Khabibulin and Anderson all being better then him.

And I would rather have Varlamov, S. Mason, Pavelec, Quick or Rinne because they all have the potential to be better then him.

The only 4 I didn't put are Toskala, Emery, Smith and Osgood.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  13:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Division through Division, starting goalie in brackets all things being equal (healthy)

Yes= I take Huet
Tie = It's a wash, would more than likely split time
No = I take the Current #1

Atlantic
NewJersey (Brodeur) - Nope
NY Islanders(Roloson) - Tie(at best, I actually take Roloson)
NY Rangers(Lundqvist) - Nope
Philly(Emery) - Tie(at best, I actually take Emery)
Pittsburgh(Fleury) Nope

Northeast
Buffalo(Miller) - Nope
Ottawa(Leclaire) - Nope
Boston(Thomas) - Nope
Toronto(Gustovsson/Toskala) - Yep
Montreal(Price/Halak) - Tie(at best)

Southeast
Atlanta(Pavlec) - Yes today, but Pavlec has a long future
Carolina(Ward) - Nope
Tampa Bay(Smith) - Yep
Washington(Varlamov/Theodore) - Yep
Florida(Vokoun) -Nope

Out of the Eastern Conference
4 yes, 3 ties, 8 No

Pacific
Anaheim(Giguere/Hillar) - Tie
Dallas(Turco) - Nope
Los Angeles(Quick) - Yes
San Jose(Nabokov) - Nope
Phoenix(Bryzgalov) - Nope

Central
Detroit(Osgood) - Yes
Chicago - N/A
Columbus(S. Mason) - Nope
St. Louis(C. Mason) - Tie
Nashville(Rinne) -Yes

Northwest
Calgary(Kipprusoff)-Nope
Vancouver(Luongo)-Nope
Minnesota(Backstrom)-Nope
Colorado(Anderson)-Nope
Edmonton(Khabibulin)-Nope

Western Conference
3 Yes, 1 Tie, 9 No, 1 N/A

Overall, there are only 7 teams in the League I think Huet would take the starting job from and 4 others where is would be close.

As I said, he is definately on the bottom half to quarter of the leagues starters today. in my humble opinion.

There are only 2 things that can hurt Chicago this year, Injuries and Huet. 6-10-0 in 16 playoff games with Montreal, Washington, and Chicago is not something I would be excited about come April.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  17:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a list of Starter and Backup's who I feel are better goalies than Huet

Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Jonas Hiller
Kari Lehtonen
Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask
Ryan Miller
Miikka Kiprusoff
Cam Ward
Manny Legace
Craig Anderson
Steve Mason
Mathieu Garon
Marty Turco
Alex Auld
Chris Osgood
Nikolai Khabibulin
Jeff Deslauriers
Tomas Vokoun
Scott Clemmensen
Jonathan Quick
Niklas Backstrom
Jaroslav Halak
Pekka Rinne
Dan Ellis
Martin Brodeur
Rick DiPietro
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron
Henrik Lundqvist
Stephen Valiquette
Pascal Leclaire
Brian Elliott
Ilya Bryzgalov
Marc-Andre Fleury
Evgeni Nabokov
Chris Mason
Ty Conklin
Mike Smith
Antero Niittymaki
Jonas Gustavsson
Joey MacDonald
Roberto Luongo
Semyon Varlamov

I'd have to say Huet is about 44th in NHL goaltending, Huet is one of the more overrated goalies in the NHL like Toskala, Price and Emery although I would rate Huet better than Toskala, Price and Emery forsure...

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP

Edited by - hanley6 on 11/28/2009 17:10:26
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  23:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes huet is a number 1 goalie. I think talking about whether he could replace starting goalies on other teams is irrelevant, If those teams are bringing him in the would be bringing him in to be a starter because there guys are injured or are no longer with that team. He has pretty good regular season numbers I would probably say he is top 20 in the league.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  02:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hanley...

Shame on you....

Your list cracks me up. I'm not sure if you're talking about a single game, one 7 game series, a full season or what, but, look at some of the names you've got? C'mon dude, you can't be serious?

Alex Auld?
Mathieu Garon?
Jeff Deslauriers?
Stephen Valiquette?
Etc...
Etc...

This is comical. You'd rather have these guys than Huet? Man, i sincerely hope that if i ever become a GM in the NHL, that you do too!

Career (NHL) stats:

Huet 115 wins 81 losses 2.42 GAA 916 Sv%

Auld 78 wins 77 losses 2.78 GAA .905 Sv%
Garon 98 wins 86 losses 2.85 GAA 904 Sv%
Deslauriers 7 wins 7 losses 3.19 GAA 901 Sv%
Valiquette 16 wins 14 losses 2.74 GAA 905 Sv%

Don't even get me started. There are more on your list i could go on with, but it's not worth the effort!

Elliot?
C. Mason?
Conklin?
Mcdonald?

Sorry, couldn't help it.....and these are just the obvious ones......

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  04:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, you are entitled to your opinion my online debatable friend... You don't have to agree with me... Chris Mason has never had a goals against average over 2.90 and he's never had a save % under .898. his personal best average not including this year is 2.18 and .925 save %

Huet has never really been a number 1 goalie the most he has played in a season is 42 games that's 1 game over half. Don't get me wrong he's a pretty good back up, but all those goalies I listed "I" feel are better.

you also complained about me listing Conklin, good reason for that... He's proven he can play for any team and do a great job, Like Pittsburgh when Fleury was injured Conklin came in and kicked butt, actually I feel when Fleury came back they should have kept playin Conklin he was flawless, last year with Detroit, Osgood stunk it up and Conklin kicked butt again, I feel if Conklin was in net instead of Osgood in the Playoffs they would have beat Pittsburgh...

Elliot, why not??????? he's done well so far became the number 1 goalie of a lousy Ottawa team last year and to tell you the truth he was the only thing keeping Ottawa in the game. Produced pretty good numbers, still young has a bright future..

MacDonald, you got me on this one I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said MacDonald but I still feel MacDonald is still pretty young and has lots of time to prove himself

and yes I would easily go with Auld, Garon, Deslauriers, Valiquette over Huet on any given night or day

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Alex, you are entitled to your opinion my online debatable friend... You don't have to agree with me... Chris Mason has never had a goals against average over 2.90 and he's never had a save % under .898. his personal best average not including this year is 2.18 and .925 save %

Huet has never really been a number 1 goalie the most he has played in a season is 42 games that's 1 game over half. Don't get me wrong he's a pretty good back up, but all those goalies I listed "I" feel are better.

you also complained about me listing Conklin, good reason for that... He's proven he can play for any team and do a great job, Like Pittsburgh when Fleury was injured Conklin came in and kicked butt, actually I feel when Fleury came back they should have kept playin Conklin he was flawless, last year with Detroit, Osgood stunk it up and Conklin kicked butt again, I feel if Conklin was in net instead of Osgood in the Playoffs they would have beat Pittsburgh...

Elliot, why not??????? he's done well so far became the number 1 goalie of a lousy Ottawa team last year and to tell you the truth he was the only thing keeping Ottawa in the game. Produced pretty good numbers, still young has a bright future..

MacDonald, you got me on this one I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said MacDonald but I still feel MacDonald is still pretty young and has lots of time to prove himself

and yes I would easily go with Auld, Garon, Deslauriers, Valiquette over Huet on any given night or day

huet has never had g.a.a over 2.6 and never sv% under 909 ,,,, Huet wins

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  15:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough hanley...you're right, it IS your opinion, so that's cool......

Doesn't mean your opinion doesn't crack me up though?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  16:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Conklin is such a solid goalie, why is he a back up where ever he goes??

There is a reason that now 4 NHL coaches and GM's have not made the guy a number on while at least 2 coaches and GM's (maybe even 3) many Huet a #1 goalie.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  22:37:32  Reply with Quote
notociurious slow starter he is going to catch fire
Go to Top of Page

Guest8369
( )

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  09:11:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

notociurious slow starter he is going to catch fire

?whats notociurious.?
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  09:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanley in the words of Chris Berman .... C'mon Man!

I'm not exactly a Huet fan but that list you threw up has some joke names on it and I don't even mean the terrible goalies like

Joey Mac - AHL
Gustavsson/Varlamov/Deslaurier - Rookies
Conklin/Auld/Garon/Halak/Clemmensen/Niittymaki/Valiquette/Legacy/Ellis - Career backups

The bigger joke is that you bothered to put names like Brodeur, Nabokov, Luongo, Miller, Kiprusoff, Ward, Turco, Fleury, Lundqvist. Huet is not even in the same discussion as these guys.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  10:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the even bigger joke is that some people here need to make comments about ridiculous posts that aren't worth addressing. Where are the comments on the serious and well-put together list that Beans made?

Beans - I mostly agree with your list, and yes, I do agree with Huet being a marginal starter ahead of Gustavsson and Toskala, although that might change once the Monster has a year under his belt.

My differences:
Varlamov (Washington) - nope (nope as in, I wouldn't have Huet as the starter)
Smith (TB) - well, I might have Nittymaki there now, and I'd start him ahead of Huet, for now.
Hiller/Giggy (Ana) - I'd take both well ahead of Huet
Rinne (Nashville) - you must be joking, I seriously disagree with you here . . . Rinne's been lights out lately.

So: that's 4 less teams than yours I'd have Huet as a starter, and from your ties, I'd take Price/Halak, Roloson, and Chris Mason ahead of Huet.

So yes - Huet is bottom of the barrel for me, as of right now, and only replaces the worst starting goalies of the league right now - Toskala, Quick, Pavelec, and Osgoode. And like Beans said, Pavelec probably has a future, as does Gustavsson . . . so potentially, Huet is bottom three.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Hanley you had me until the last 2 lines. Auld, Garon, Deslauriers, Valiquette over Huet? What are you thinking.

Garon proved in Edmonton he can hold down the starter. He does have a great SO record.

Auld was the weak man from last years Ottawa Senators. I'd have trusted Gerber over him, he just cant inspire confidence in the team in front of him, ask Vancouver.

Deslaurier? You are joking right. The guy is being given the chance right now and he is better than expected but clearly not stealing games.

Valiquette may be the closest, but has not, nor will not be given a starter role in New York. I'd say very unproven as a starter goes but from what we have seen quite talented.

I'd say give Huet a chance, he hasn't proved yet he doesn't deserve the #1. Actually he is kind of proving he deserves it this year. Not saying he is the best ever or in the elite goalie list, but clearly an improving #1.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  10:54:07  Reply with Quote
Huet has actually played fairly well but has been punted around, I couldn't believe it when he was traded from Washington, so they could go with Theodore. Actually I even thought the Montreal trade to Washington was risky given how well he was doing there.

Really his only so-so year was his tandem roll with Khabi last year.
His NHL career stats are 2.42 GAA .916 Sv% which are respectable.

I'd still put him 15-20th in the league, but I think he is a legit no. 1.

Nabokov, Luongo, Brodeur, Miller, Lundqvist, Kipper, Backstrom, Vokoun, Thomas, Turco, Fleury, Khabibulin... I'd consider this to be the group of true proven no. 1's

Huet fits somewhere with the unproven and/or currently hot goalies: Anderson, Pavelec, Rinne, Varlamov, Mason (both of them), Price, Leclaire, Bryzgalov, Quick, Emery, Hiller.

Right now he's somewhere in the middle of this pack. Over his career, I don't know where he'd rank but I wouldn't say all of this second group are going to be better then him.

I left Giguere and Osgood off the list 1 given their current statuses, but career wise they would likely rank above Huet and be thought of as proven no.1 guys.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  11:00:23  Reply with Quote
I forgot... Ward is on list 1.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Division through Division, starting goalie in brackets all things being equal (healthy)

Yes= I take Huet
Tie = It's a wash, would more than likely split time
No = I take the Current #1

Atlantic
NewJersey (Brodeur) - Nope
NY Islanders(Roloson) - Tie(at best, I actually take Roloson)
NY Rangers(Lundqvist) - Nope
Philly(Emery) - Tie(at best, I actually take Emery)
Pittsburgh(Fleury) Nope

Northeast
Buffalo(Miller) - Nope
Ottawa(Leclaire) - Nope
Boston(Thomas) - Nope
Toronto(Gustovsson/Toskala) - Yep
Montreal(Price/Halak) - Tie(at best)

Southeast
Atlanta(Pavlec) - Yes today, but Pavlec has a long future
Carolina(Ward) - Nope
Tampa Bay(Smith) - Yep
Washington(Varlamov/Theodore) - Yep
Florida(Vokoun) -Nope

Out of the Eastern Conference
4 yes, 3 ties, 8 No

Pacific
Anaheim(Giguere/Hillar) - Tie
Dallas(Turco) - Nope
Los Angeles(Quick) - Yes
San Jose(Nabokov) - Nope
Phoenix(Bryzgalov) - Nope

Central
Detroit(Osgood) - Yes
Chicago - N/A
Columbus(S. Mason) - Nope
St. Louis(C. Mason) - Tie
Nashville(Rinne) -Yes

Northwest
Calgary(Kipprusoff)-Nope
Vancouver(Luongo)-Nope
Minnesota(Backstrom)-Nope
Colorado(Anderson)-Nope
Edmonton(Khabibulin)-Nope

Western Conference
3 Yes, 1 Tie, 9 No, 1 N/A

Overall, there are only 7 teams in the League I think Huet would take the starting job from and 4 others where is would be close.

As I said, he is definately on the bottom half to quarter of the leagues starters today. in my humble opinion.

There are only 2 things that can hurt Chicago this year, Injuries and Huet. 6-10-0 in 16 playoff games with Montreal, Washington, and Chicago is not something I would be excited about come April.

I mostly agree with this list with some exceptions.

Anaheim: I would take Huet over both of these clowns.

St Louis: This one's close but I'd eventually settle on Huet.

Nahsville: Wouldn't touch Huet with Rinne as my starter.

Montreal, Ottawa, and TO: Wouldn't even lose sleep after making Huet may starter

Los Angeles: Tie with Quick, really can't decide

NYI: Rolly the goalie is not gettin any younger, but I'd split games between the two

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have to admit that in my list I was being quite liberal with some of my picks.

I would agree I take Rolson and Emery over Huet. Rinne hasn't impressed me as much as he has impressed others on here. I guess I'll have to pay more attention when Nashville is in town.

I take Huet over Varlamov (one day the best goalie in the leauge next day looks shaky) and Hiller (again, consistancy). But take Giguere over Huet.

However, I take Huet as a #1 over a just about any tandem splitting games in the league today. I've never liked a 2 goalie system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page