Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ballard hits own goalie, Vokoun Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  13:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it had been reported as a concussion, fair enough - no substantial injuries that we know of . . . but then again, would the team have reported the extent of injuries differently had it come at the hands of an opponent?

(I reject Fat Elvi's attempt to deflect me asking a question it was uncomfortable for him to answer.)

This is the thing . . . whether you hit an opponent, or a teammate, it's still careless and dangerous use of the stick. It's still unsportsmanlike conduct. All penalties, all worthy of suspension when injuring another player, especially when it concerns the head, especially after the whistle/goal.

Furthermore, Fat Elvis - who else in the thread, before you posted, thought that Ballard had committed an offence punishable by suspension? You say I assumed something . . . and I did, even stating it - was there anyone calling for a longer suspension than I was? No. Did you say that some posters had gone overboard in their calls for justice? Yes, the tarred and feathered comment. So please, tell me where I made an ass out of myself . . . you said some have gone overboard, I called for the greatest/strictest suspension, and I stated that I assumed I was (should have said "was one of", I suppose one of the ones) the guy you were talking about.

Who were you talking about then as going overboard? I called for 3-5 games, and many called for one or two games. You now say that one game for unsportsmanlike would be appropriate.

2 games difference is overboard? I don't find it much of a difference, frankly. I add on two games probably because it involves the head, and because it was extremely dangerous and could have been even worse. I agree with the rest of what you said - penalty also deserved.

Basically, we agree; I just think it should be stricter, in regards to the mishap involving a players head getting hit by a stick which could have resulted in serious injury.

Don't tar and feather me now for assuming anything or using the dreaded word "if"!!!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  14:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guy breaks stick over the post for the millionth time in hockey history, accidently hits his goalie and you got that he can go home and beat his dog If he wanted to, once again some of you guys need to give your head a shake! Absolutely ridiculous. Sorry If you have never gotten angry in your life I didn't realise you were perfect. The only thing I was trying to say was that If you are going to give a penalty or suspend a guy because he gets mad we wouldn't have enough players left in the league.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro



389 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  14:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

Yep it looks like he has been made to feel shame and probably owe's Vokun a few more blocked shots.

Ya its a joke if any one of you guys posting for a suspension can honestly say you have never done anything like this getting mad on the ice then like canucksman said you're not human. I've hextalled more than a few sticks over the net in my time.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem


You sound more like you've hit a few posts with your head in your time.



Right on bud you're a tough guy on an online forum. Maybe loosen up your cape Superman because it's apparently cutting off the circulation to you're small brain.

For a guy that won't even sign up on the site you write an awful lot of nonsensical garbage on here. [ moderator edit ]

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

Edited by - slozo on 12/02/2009 15:23:57
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1910 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  14:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

quote:
Originally posted by Tiller33

Yep it looks like he has been made to feel shame and probably owe's Vokun a few more blocked shots.

Ya its a joke if any one of you guys posting for a suspension can honestly say you have never done anything like this getting mad on the ice then like canucksman said you're not human. I've hextalled more than a few sticks over the net in my time.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem


You sound more like you've hit a few posts with your head in your time.



Right on bud you're a tough guy on an online forum. Maybe loosen up your cape Superman because it's apparently cutting off the circulation to you're small brain.

For a guy that won't even sign up on the site you write an awful lot of nonsensical garbage on here. Man up you're a joke maybe go buy a Hedley CD and a box of razor blades and fix the problem your mother forced upon us.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

Tiller you got some issues. Definatly an overeaction. You dont have to respond to every troll who posts a stupid post
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8190 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, c'mon. Do you think any of the moderators have time to or want to have to go through these kinds of posts???

Shut it down. If it's not about the topic at hand, don't even bother making the post.
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Beans.

I left the statement with the phrase "you're small brain" in as a lasting legacy of intellectual greatness.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
899 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I thought it had been reported as a concussion, fair enough - no substantial injuries that we know of . . . but then again, would the team have reported the extent of injuries differently had it come at the hands of an opponent?

(I reject Fat Elvi's attempt to deflect me asking a question it was uncomfortable for him to answer.)

This is the thing . . . whether you hit an opponent, or a teammate, it's still careless and dangerous use of the stick. It's still unsportsmanlike conduct. All penalties, all worthy of suspension when injuring another player, especially when it concerns the head, especially after the whistle/goal.

Furthermore, Fat Elvis - who else in the thread, before you posted, thought that Ballard had committed an offence punishable by suspension? You say I assumed something . . . and I did, even stating it - was there anyone calling for a longer suspension than I was? No. Did you say that some posters had gone overboard in their calls for justice? Yes, the tarred and feathered comment. So please, tell me where I made an ass out of myself . . . you said some have gone overboard, I called for the greatest/strictest suspension, and I stated that I assumed I was (should have said "was one of", I suppose one of the ones) the guy you were talking about.

Who were you talking about then as going overboard? I called for 3-5 games, and many called for one or two games. You now say that one game for unsportsmanlike would be appropriate.

2 games difference is overboard? I don't find it much of a difference, frankly. I add on two games probably because it involves the head, and because it was extremely dangerous and could have been even worse. I agree with the rest of what you said - penalty also deserved.

Basically, we agree; I just think it should be stricter, in regards to the mishap involving a players head getting hit by a stick which could have resulted in serious injury.

Don't tar and feather me now for assuming anything or using the dreaded word "if"!!!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug



Uhhh...Slozo, buddy, try the decaf next time... , I never said or attempted to suggest, I was decrying YOUR opinion, as I already stated...a summation of various posters.

- not sure what question I was 'uncomfortable' with, was there one?, other than anything speculative(more palatable than what if, I hope). Ask away, I'll be glad to answer.

-tarred and feathered, as I mentioned was a coined phrase, my mistake, should have used something less inflammatory, perhaps. If so, I apologize for my flippancy. Replace 'tarred and feathered' with 'in my opinion, too harshly disciplined' and it probably makes a truer indication of my intent. I never stated anyone went overboard with their suggestions.

- I never called you an ass, if anything, I suggested, if we both continued to assume the intent of each other's posts, I could be the ass... and that could be appropriate, easily

- I never said a game suspension, I said a major penalty or game misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct, pending review, maybe this incident will hopefully initiate better usage of the unsportsmanlike option.

- In this case, weird and strange as it was, and do to the relatively fortunate outcome, it should be left as is regarding any subsequent discipline.

- had the circumstance and outcome been any different, an opposing player, an injured fan, of course the discipline would be completely different, but the situation was what it was.

- I don't dread the what ifs, I just have trouble stopping them once they start, too infinite. What if I was richer, slimmer, taller, better looking, younger...the list goes on and on.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
899 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Guy breaks stick over the post for the millionth time in hockey history, accidently hits his goalie and you got that he can go home and beat his dog If he wanted to, once again some of you guys need to give your head a shake! Absolutely ridiculous. Sorry If you have never gotten angry in your life I didn't realise you were perfect. The only thing I was trying to say was that If you are going to give a penalty or suspend a guy because he gets mad we wouldn't have enough players left in the league.

CANUCKS RULE!!!




Actually, I was simply stating my opinion and asking why is this acceptable behaviour?

Why should a professional acting out in the most childish of ways not be looked at questionably?

Of course I get mad, even if I do think I'm perfect . I just choose not to throw tantrums and break my toys when I do get mad. If that makes me ridiculous, I'm okay with that.

I am not saying penalize a player for getting mad, I'm saying stop the antics for the better of the game and it's fans, some of which idolize these professionals. Any game/contest is designed to promote sportsmanship and at the professional level, they should be the biggest proponents of it, Unfortunately, not the case. I mean really, does watching a grown man break his hockey stick on purpose really need to be part of the game. To me, for apparently a million times, it just looks silly.

It does get me thinking though....next time I get mad and frustrated at work, if I smash my monitor into the wall, I'll bet I get that extended vacation I dream of.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5808 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  20:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Dog beatings, cycling/speed skating comparisons and even peanut butter sandwich references all in on thread! Nothing short of sensational!

In all seriousness (lol, not even sure that's a word?), i stand by what i said earlier. If the league decided to punish guys for acts like this, i'd be fine with a suspension. BUT, they'd have to make it an offense whether or not he hit anyone! Change the rules or start enforcing them if they're supposed to be interpretted to include this sort of thing and i'd be okay with it.

Regardless though, as bad as Ballard looks for what he did, Plaxico's got him beat big time. I mean, the guy did shoot himself!
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  21:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, maybe a fine from the league (I realize he hit his own goalie, but I thought these guys were professionals).

Yes I myself have thrown water bottles and slammed doors in frustration, but I'm not a professional athlete, playing games is not what I do for a living.

I work in a warehouse for a living, the guys I work with will swear like sailors when they get frustrated. But if one of them were to throw a wrench or a boot (it's happened) they get suspended without pay. Why? It's called being un-professional.

Athletes should be more aware of this than the average joe because when they have tantrums it ends up on youtube. Were I an NHL governor I wouldn't be paying guys millions of dollars to act like children after the whistle blows.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5612
( )

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  08:12:21  Reply with Quote
This does not only apply for Ballard many NHLers get pissed and slam their sticks or throw water bottles. Ballard should definetly not play baseball and thank god Vokoun only hurt his ear.

Damn! Ballard hurt Anderson yesterday probably minor but goalies should watch out now Ballard is hunting them down one at a time now!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8190 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys get a grip. Ballard lost an edge and fell into Anderson. Nothing intentional involved at all.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

OK guys get a grip. Ballard lost an edge and fell into Anderson. Nothing intentional involved at all.



hahah yea, apparently Adam Foote beat him down pretty good afterwards as well. Poor Ballard, what a week hes having.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

K73
Top Prospect



20 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanna see Ballard accidentally take out another goalie his next game, just for the sake of ridiculous amusement. Set a record for most consecutive games injuring a goalie if he doesn't have it already.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  13:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5612

Ballard should definetly not play baseball

Actually it was a pretty good swing

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page