Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 If only I was taller....... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were Bettman for ONE DAY,(except in my case, taller and much better looking, okay, taller for sure), and were able to independently make 3 changes to the game, to further the agenda of globalizing the NHL, what would they be and why?

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:35:42  Reply with Quote
tough one..

1) Free links on NHL.com broadcasting NHL games in Europe in Russian, Swedish, Czech etc... or even just providing the NHL.com website in some of these other languages - probably a huge cost associated with this but I'm just thinking outside the box.

2) An obvious one is more exhibition games vs European teams

3) Emphasize the fact that all these guys seem to like playing soccer in the halls before the game.... maybe you'll get some interest south of the equator. lol.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All star Tournament with Eastern Western teams Vs European and KHL teams. All star actually for a reason.

Term player contract no more than 5 years including preexisting contracts and no guaranteed contract. Players paid to perform. Reverse arbitration should actually be inforced allowing teams ability to pressure underperforming players.

Less compensation for RFA based on salary. If a team cant afford and doesn`t want to pay a player his salary potential, they should be less compensated for letting him piss in the wind while others appreciate star talent players. Kessel should not have garnered two 1st rounders. Lindros deal should not have changed the landscape of the league.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

All star Tournament with Eastern Western teams Vs European and KHL teams. All star actually for a reason.

Term player contract no more than 5 years including preexisting contracts and no guaranteed contract. Players paid to perform. Reverse arbitration should actually be inforced allowing teams ability to pressure underperforming players.

Less compensation for RFA based on salary. If a team cant afford and doesn`t want to pay a player his salary potential, they should be less compensated for letting him piss in the wind while others appreciate star talent players. Kessel should not have garnered two 1st rounders. Lindros deal should not have changed the landscape of the league.

I'd like to see some NHL vs. KHL action something like the subway super series the juniors have every year would be good.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  13:08:58  Reply with Quote
1 - Shorter NHL schedule to allow for champions of individual leagues to compete in international tournaments.

This will emphasize more international play and international champions will be taken more serious. A real "world" champion would be crowned this way.

2 - Trading possible cross-leagues

This will have players moving easier over the various leagues and have fans following players and gaining interest in other leagues too

3 - consistent rules, similar schedule cross-leagues, similar ice-size, etc...

This will make the above 2 easier to integrate in the various leagues
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  14:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

1 - Shorter NHL schedule to allow for champions of individual leagues to compete in international tournaments.

This will emphasize more international play and international champions will be taken more serious. A real "world" champion would be crowned this way.

2 - Trading possible cross-leagues

This will have players moving easier over the various leagues and have fans following players and gaining interest in other leagues too

3 - consistent rules, similar schedule cross-leagues, similar ice-size, etc...

This will make the above 2 easier to integrate in the various leagues

A shorter season means smaller gate revenue. It may only benefit them if it helps garner more TV revenue.

The NHL has hyped the Stanely Cup as the real world Champion (best team in the world) so saying it aint so makes the stanely cup less important. One could argue the Olympic Gold is more important but that is a national event. You cant pick heritage, but you can build a winner.

The NHL while considering expanding to Europe has no interest in easy access for other leagues to NHL talent. That only serves to weaken this league and strengthen there leagues. This is more of a fans dream than the NHL`s
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To have the biggest impact globally without negatively impacting the globally.

1 - Work with the IIHF to move the World Championship to September. This way, the best of the best from all leagues could compete yearly.

2 - Much like European Soccer teams have done in North America, have the NHL teams who did not make the playoffs go to Europe to play exhibition matches and in alternating years, have the Champions from Europe come to North America at the same time. I know I would love to see the best in Russia against the Oilers.

3 - Have Contracts transferable. Again, much like soccer. So a player is under contract to a team even after the contract runs out. If another team wants that player, they pay a transfer fee to the team that owns the contract and they they can negotiate any contract they want. Make the transfers global.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  15:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a wise poster once said:
quote:
I choose to deal with 'what ifs' with my own little analogy,
'What if your Aunt Martha had a package, would she then be your Uncle Marty?'....

Ok, in all seriousness, here goes:
1. I'd accept responsibility for ruining the game of hockey.
2. I'd detail every crooked back room deal ever done behind closed doors and inevitably turn myself in to authorities.
3. I'd resign.

Now the game is free to globalise! Oh, wait . . . no need, already as global as it's gonna get.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  19:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

As a wise poster once said:
quote:
I choose to deal with 'what ifs' with my own little analogy,
'What if your Aunt Martha had a package, would she then be your Uncle Marty?'....

Ok, in all seriousness, here goes:
1. I'd accept responsibility for ruining the game of hockey.
2. I'd detail every crooked back room deal ever done behind closed doors and inevitably turn myself in to authorities.
3. I'd resign.

Now the game is free to globalise! Oh, wait . . . no need, already as global as it's gonna get.

Nice catch Slozo.....just remember any variation of the above 'what if' analogy is mine..

I guess I should clarify , "This is totally a fantasitical endeavour and strictly hypothetical, as there is no possible way I, or most fully grown homo sapiens, could ever fit into one of Gary's munchkin suits, or pull off that wonderful comb over. I prefer to think of this as nothing remotely related to a 'what if', and more along the lines of exercise in free thinking for the intellectual betterment of the game."

*The preceding disclaimer is the property of Fat Elvis and copyright infringement, in whole, or in part would be subject to laws enforceable in the province of Saskatchewan, or at least in the general area of one particular dwelling*

PS. I think I like Slozo's ideas the best.

With Bettman gone, the road for Commissioner Gretzky could finally get some pavement.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  07:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, glad to partake in this "fantastical endeavour".

In all seriousness, even though some may think my suggestion about Bettman is born from a deep hatred and resentment toward the man - it's really a commentary on the whole "globalisation of the game' concept.

I honestly don't feel any burning need for countries in Africa, South America, or for Australia to have hockey played there. If there is hockey being played there, good on those determined Canucks . . . because those are the only people who would actually set something like that up in a totally non-traditional hockey landscape - crazy Canadians who are mad about hockey.

As for everywhere else, they already have hockey . . . just not the NHL, which remains solely in Canada and the USA. To "globalise the NHL" means . . . what? Well, it could mean expanding to allow teams in Eurasia, I suppose. It could also mean publicity and brand knowledge so that the NHL could sell more merchandise there.

Well, I don't think it's necessary or pertinent, speaking strictly as the fantastical one-day commissioner, to try and compete with the European leagues and KHL. In fact, I'd find it foolhardy, and pointless. These places serve the NHL very well as a sort of farm system and retirement home for potential and semi-retired NHLers, so they invariably support the NHL in a small way. And in terms of Eurasians following the NHL and their stars . . . never before have so many Eurasian stars been the top marketing draws, so it's actually a banner time for them! We have the top guy Ovechkin, with top three guy Malkin. We have Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Kopitar, the Sedin twins, Zetterberg, Backstrom (both of them), Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, etc etc. There has never been a time when so many in Eurasia and the world are buying NHL merchandise . . . so why push for more?

No globalisation necessary. The league will be healthier with a strong fansbase supporting strong and healthy franchises making lots of money for everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really have a problem with the NHL playing games overseas as long as they are being played in hockey markets. Recently they have played in Finland and Sweeden which are good hockey nations where as in the past they have played in London and Japan not exactly hockey hot spots. So as long as the league doesn't regress to that kind of gimmicky stuff they'll be alright I'd like to see some NHL games played in Russia maybe have the Caps play the Pens Ovechkin vs. Malkin or Ovechkin vs. Crosby in Moscow. Not sure how it would work with KHL rights and all that red tape but it would be an interesting place to play a game like that.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page