Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 best all time us goaltender? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phlyguy90
Rookie



USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  07:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with the olympics around the corner i wanted to know who people think is the best all time us born goaltender?

Edited by - willus3 on 12/04/2009 11:19:19

phlyguy90
Rookie



USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  07:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i think its a two horse race between mike richter and tom barasso.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8186 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty hard to vote against either Barrasso or Richter. Don't quote me but I don't believe there has been any other US tenders to win a Cup as a starter than these two.


I personally take Richter based on his international record. Richter was the starter for the 2002 Silver medal. Barrasso was just the back up
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richter was also the starting goalie when the US won the world cup in 96, he gets my nod as well. Ryan Miller could get into this race one day as well.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest8369
( )

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:07:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Richter was also the starting goalie when the US won the world cup in 96, he gets my nod as well. Ryan Miller could get into this race one day as well.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Agreed, Richter for now. Barrasso is the closest by my recollection, but Millar IMO will be the considered the best once his career is over. Be nice if he could win a cup during his years. He will be the undisputed starter for US Olympics/Worlds for the foreseeable future.
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie



USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh im with you guys on that one. the only thing barasso has that richter doesnt is one more cup ring and i think darren pang could of won the cup on that pittsburgh team. is any other us goalie worth noting?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phlyguy90

oh im with you guys on that one. the only thing barasso has that richter doesnt is one more cup ring and i think darren pang could of won the cup on that pittsburgh team. is any other us goalie worth noting?

Not unless Brodeur is dual Nationality
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  18:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Not unless Brodeur is dual Nationality


Actually, Brodeur does now have dual nationality. He just became a US Citizen, so now holds dual-citizenship between the US and Canada.

:p

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2278 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  19:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its already Miller maybe not in accolades and accomplishments but he is the best Goalie in the league right now and in ability level the best U.S born goalie ever period, no argument but no offence to Barraso and Richter

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4603 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  21:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richter.

Barasso was one of those guys who was unbeatably hot at times . . . but he also got cold real fast. Richter was very consistent, and was a huge part of the NYR stanley cup win. Without looking up stats, I' have to think he picked up more wins and had a better save % too?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

willus3
Moderator



Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  11:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all should research a fellow named Frank Brimsek.
Generally regarded as the best American goalie all time.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  11:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

its already Miller maybe not in accolades and accomplishments but he is the best Goalie in the league right now and in ability level the best U.S born goalie ever period, no argument but no offence to Barraso and Richter

Pasty

By saying best in the league I am assuming you mean hands down. I dont agree but I would put him in top 5-10 or current goalies. If I had to choose another American to consider all time John "Beezer" Vanbiesbrouck. I had to look up his wiki to confirm he was american cause I remember he was born in Europe. He may have been the best American Goalie to have never won the cup IMO
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
2278 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  15:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

its already Miller maybe not in accolades and accomplishments but he is the best Goalie in the league right now and in ability level the best U.S born goalie ever period, no argument but no offence to Barraso and Richter

Pasty

By saying best in the league I am assuming you mean hands down. I dont agree but I would put him in top 5-10 or current goalies. If I had to choose another American to consider all time John "Beezer" Vanbiesbrouck. I had to look up his wiki to confirm he was american cause I remember he was born in Europe. He may have been the best American Goalie to have never won the cup IMO



there is no better goalie in the NHL right now than Ryan Miller

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  10:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saying he the best doesn't make it so. I think it shows alot of disrespect to 5-10 other goalies that you think Millar is hands down the best goalie out there. I think Ward, Lundquist, Kipper and Brodeur might have something to say about that. Look at Carolinas record with Ward out of the lineup. Millar makes an impact but in no way turns that team from 1st to worst.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro



389 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  10:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its Richter hands down, he carried that New York team for years and was stellar in the 02 Olympics. Don't forget he won the 1996 World Cup as well. Barasso had a great start in Buffalo and won those cups with a great Pittsburgh team but he had a weak ending to his career where he was a back up in Carolina and Toronto. Richter played at an elite level his entire career and was as reliable as the come.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  22:09:11  Reply with Quote
Craig Anderson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page