Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NHL Winter Classic - Hot or not? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  15:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you enjoy the newly created tradition of watching the NHL Winter Classic game?

Choices:

Yes I enjoy it!
It is alright
I do not like it!

Guest0912
( )

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  16:02:34  Reply with Quote
I think it's turning into a great tradition and so far all the games have been fantastic, but I hope Bettman doesn't get carried away and try to make more than one a year or it will lose that special feel.

Also If the NHL does want to make the classic a annual event, they are going to run into issues one day when the marquee teams / venues have all played once / been played in once and it's just the southern/small market teams crying for an event that will never come to them.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  16:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutley love it. I think it's turning into a great tradition and it's great for the game of hockey. But i agree with guest 0912, it's not something that bettman and the league should abuse, it should be a once a year thing, it justs makes it feel so much more special.
more than once a year would be too much for me.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be so cool to have a winter classic on the cannal

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  17:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya i really enjoy the winter classic and once a year is good for me, but i would like to see a winter classic between Toronto and Ottawa it would be a good battle of ontario, and i dont just want toronto cuz im a leaf fan but i think it would be a real entertaining game.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  18:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 50brent

ya i really enjoy the winter classic and once a year is good for me, but i would like to see a winter classic between Toronto and Ottawa it would be a good battle of ontario, and i dont just want toronto cuz im a leaf fan but i think it would be a real entertaining game.

it be cool if it was in toronto too cuz i live near there and i would definitley try to get tickets to that game, it would definitley b a great experience
Go to Top of Page

Guest5349
( )

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:04:55  Reply with Quote
with the 2010 olympics you'd think the NHL would have played the Canadian teams (considered for next year) this season, not too bright are they... cause next year is one year too late yet still a nice consideration - FINALLY!

one thing I don't like about it is that I read in a news paper in ottawa is that Ottawa is NOT going to be considered... even though I'm quite positive that ottawa has the most municipally funded outdoor rink program in north america. Makes you wonder if there is any true meaning to these winter 'classic' games or if it's just another cash grab like everything else seems to be these days.

The only reason I can think of as to why ottawa wouldn't be considerred is because Frank Claire Stadium would probably be the only venue to host it and some stands were brought down a view years ago due to cracking in the foundation. This would be a major issue for obvious reasons although I'm quite positive if the NHL announced it would held a game there this year(or next) that there the building would have completed and structurely sound in time for the event given oppurtunity to 'get their heads in the game'. Even on the Ottawa Canal would be a true 'pond hockey' game and a more likely venue for a winter 'classic' game since the Silver Seven did play on the Canal at some point, ever seen a hockey game at a baseball stadium 100 years ago?.

I wouldn't mind seeing an exhibition game in the 'cattle castle' where the NHL was once played 100 years ago, there would be no way of making it a regular season game though.. this venue is much much too small for spectators.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:10:05  Reply with Quote
If Toronto ever did get an outdoor game getting tickets to that game would likely be impossible. I think most regular fans would have better luck trying to get tickets to an event in Ottawa, Detroit, Jersey or Washington.

I think the next likely venues are NY (Rangers) and Washington. Next year will be at the new Yankee stadium, playing maybe the Islanders, if they do NY vs Washington then you take away two big name teams in one go.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

I absolutley love it. I think it's turning into a great tradition and it's great for the game of hockey. But i agree with guest 0912, it's not something that bettman and the league should abuse, it should be a once a year thing, it justs makes it feel so much more special.
more than once a year would be too much for me.

The NHL has already been talking about having two Winter Classics next year. TSN was reporting from the Board of Governers meetings and it had come out that there would be one somewhere in the States and Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver were the front runners for the Winter Classic in Canada. I'm not sure how you would pull it off in Vancouver though...I don't know if it gets cold enough. I guess the NHL has that brand new rink and it must have refridgeration under the ice. I think it would be great in Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa as well. I think that Ottawa needs a new stadium first though. Are there still talks going on for that new football stadium? I do agree though there should only be one a year so they can continue to call it a 'Classic'.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Guest7692
( )

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:03:15  Reply with Quote
I don't get it at all.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  10:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think the NHL would have been better suited to not have a Winter Classic every year and do a better job of setting them up. Not to be bias, but the Edmonton one will never be duplicated. Firstly, the Old Oilers vs the Old Canadians was brilliant. Secondly, there is something about having some history rather than trying to build it that I prefer.

I would rather see a Toronto/Montreal game over just about any American Team.

At the least, have original 6, long time rivals dancing. The last year's was decent with Detroit/Chicago but I really couldn't have cared less about Pitt/Buffalo and I have very little desire to watch Boston/Philly. I would have prefered Boston/NYR.

I think it's going to the well too often and it would be a bigger specticale if it was only once every 2-3 years, not every season or 2 a season.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  14:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind it each year, but one's plenty. As for having it in Canada, i think, as much as i hate to say it, Toronto would be the best spot for it and a matchup vs the Habs would be great. That or vs the Sens.

I don't know about it here. I mean, how cold does it need to be? The prob here would be the possibility of rain more than anything! I think they could keep the ice frozen and safe to play on as long as it was in the thick of our winter? I mean, when you go to a game, it's not like it's -3 in the arena? The refridgeration they use is mostly what allows the rinks to be warmer is it not?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  09:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I don't mind it each year, but one's plenty. As for having it in Canada, i think, as much as i hate to say it, Toronto would be the best spot for it and a matchup vs the Habs would be great. That or vs the Sens.

I don't know about it here. I mean, how cold does it need to be? The prob here would be the possibility of rain more than anything! I think they could keep the ice frozen and safe to play on as long as it was in the thick of our winter? I mean, when you go to a game, it's not like it's -3 in the arena? The refridgeration they use is mostly what allows the rinks to be warmer is it not?

Would have rather seen Van VS Rangers in Yankee Stadium. Could have brought in most of the players to play a second exibition game to commemorate the Ranger win over Van from 1993. Most players on boths sides are still able to lace them up and most are not active players. The exibition game was my favorite part of the Edmonton Heritage classic. That is the gimmick I would pay to see. Could do that gimmick with 10-15 different scenerios.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  13:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5349

with the 2010 olympics you'd think the NHL would have played the Canadian teams (considered for next year) this season, not too bright are they... cause next year is one year too late yet still a nice consideration - FINALLY!

one thing I don't like about it is that I read in a news paper in ottawa is that Ottawa is NOT going to be considered... even though I'm quite positive that ottawa has the most municipally funded outdoor rink program in north america. Makes you wonder if there is any true meaning to these winter 'classic' games or if it's just another cash grab like everything else seems to be these days.

The only reason I can think of as to why ottawa wouldn't be considerred is because Frank Claire Stadium would probably be the only venue to host it and some stands were brought down a view years ago due to cracking in the foundation. This would be a major issue for obvious reasons although I'm quite positive if the NHL announced it would held a game there this year(or next) that there the building would have completed and structurely sound in time for the event given oppurtunity to 'get their heads in the game'. Even on the Ottawa Canal would be a true 'pond hockey' game and a more likely venue for a winter 'classic' game since the Silver Seven did play on the Canal at some point, ever seen a hockey game at a baseball stadium 100 years ago?.

I wouldn't mind seeing an exhibition game in the 'cattle castle' where the NHL was once played 100 years ago, there would be no way of making it a regular season game though.. this venue is much much too small for spectators.

Umm the first one was 2 Canadian teams so with only one played per year I think were getting fairly decent representation so far.

But yes they are exciting to watch and so far they haven't become gimicky like alot of things the NHL does (laser puck ...). The canal Idea would be really cool it would be a true embodiment of the "pond hockey" mentality these games are supposed to inspire. I'd also like to see the NHL do an outdoor game in a non NHL market like Quebec, Winnipeg, Halifax, Sakatoon etc.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  16:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the Winter Classic, personally.

However, i'd have more interest in it if it were a meaningful game, or one with history. (Playoff game, Stanley Cup final, Original Six match-up) something with some meaning!

I'd also love to see it held in places where they do not have an NHL team, a neutral site. This way, it allows fans who normally can not attend a game, the chance to view one and in a different atmosphere.

I'm sure even in smaller communities, they can fill 80K seats from surrounding areas, for something like this. It's not like they are trying to fill seats every night.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An outdoor game on new years day in the Prarie cold at Mosaic Stadium would be pretty cool, it only holds 31,000 but thats still more than any arena in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  18:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I don't mind the Winter Classic, personally.

However, i'd have more interest in it if it were a meaningful game, or one with history. (Playoff game, Stanley Cup final, Original Six match-up) something with some meaning!

I'd also love to see it held in places where they do not have an NHL team, a neutral site. This way, it allows fans who normally can not attend a game, the chance to view one and in a different atmosphere.

I'm sure even in smaller communities, they can fill 80K seats from surrounding areas, for something like this. It's not like they are trying to fill seats every night.

Irvine

I dont think a playoff game would work, they have to no to far in advance about what teams were in. Also if the outdoor weather wasn't good it could ruin the whole thing, at least on new years if you have to cancel it, you have until april to make up the game.
Also the Cup finals are in june! Not really capturing the whole feeling of the "Winter Classic"

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  21:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand that it is not possible to have the finals outdoors, due to time of the year. What I was saying is, it'd be more appealing if the game had more meaning than just a normal game in the 82 game schedule for the two teams.

Even if it were a true rival match-up, it'd be more interesting. Or even Pens vs Caps, just something to get things going.

Who wants Coyotes vs Wild? Has no appeal. :P

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  11:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I understand that it is not possible to have the finals outdoors, due to time of the year. What I was saying is, it'd be more appealing if the game had more meaning than just a normal game in the 82 game schedule for the two teams.

Even if it were a true rival match-up, it'd be more interesting. Or even Pens vs Caps, just something to get things going.

Who wants Coyotes vs Wild? Has no appeal. :P

Irvine

I understand and agree with the point you are making but I think the Wild would be a good candidate to host one of these games. Next year the Minnesota Twins open a new outdoor stadium so it will be an excellent brand new facility. Minnesota hockey fans are pretty rabid compared to most American markets so an outdoor game involving the Wild would be a good move in my opinion. Obviously there are better teams but I think a game like Florida vs. Carolina might be a bit more of a dud.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the outdoor games, but I don't like how they have missed the Leafs and how they've matched up the various teams.

I think they should have stuck with old rivalries, original six teams, and just leave it at that. The first one, Montreal vs Edmonton was good . . . but Calgary vs Edmonton would have been preferrable. Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal all have natural rivalries, Boston with Montreal, Detroit and Chicago (as well as the Leafs), and even getting some of the southern teams with strong rivalries in (Philly/Pittsburgh, Minny/Dallas played in Minne of course, Colorado/Detroit, etc).

It's patently ridiculous that Toronto still hasn't had an outdoor classic, and the Rideau Canal beckons for a game between Ottawa and Toronto - that'd be awesome, albeit awkward for seating.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  09:10:18  Reply with Quote
How about Phx vs Whoever played in Winnipeg in the old Jets Jerseys, that would blow the roof off the prairies.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5666
( )

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  20:44:36  Reply with Quote
Don't think they should have it every year...it's starting to lose its appeal. Every second or third year would be enough!
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  21:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course the Winter Classic is a cash grab- the NHL is a business first. Every year is good publicity for the NHL in US markets, having it every second year might make it unprofitable to maintain the ice-making truck the NHL bought.

As to making the game more meaningful, I have a couple ideas. Firstly, rotate venues yearly. Make it a regular season rematch between last year's Cup Finalists. Or make it the host city's team vs. the defending Cup champs. Or make CUP champs vs. President Trophy Winner's ( if one and the same, play against runner up.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page