Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Biggest Surprise Addition Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  23:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who was the biggest surprise addition to the Canadian men's Olympic hockey roster?

Choices:

Mike Richards
Patrice Bergeron
Drew Doughty
Jonathan Toews
Brent Seabrook

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most surprised that Doughty made the team simply because of his age. When you're that young you've still got a few things to learn about playing at the highest level of competition in the world. For that reason alone, I could have easily seen Stevie Y take Bouwmeester over Doughty.

Having said that I DID have Doughty as one of my Darkhorses to make the team. The kid has skill.

Bergeron was a surprise until I actually sat down and thought about it. He's a great, highly competitive player, and he's shown tremendous chemistry with Sid in the past.

I have wanted Seabrook on the team with Keith from the beginning. These guys pair amazingly together.

I admit I don't know anyhting about Mike Richards other than that he is a PKer, nothing wrong with a good PK line is there?

And Toews is a great all around player. You could play this guy in any situation and he will play smart and strong hockey. He is without a doubt one of the reasons Chicago's offense has so much punch.

Not mentioned on this list but who may surprise some is Morrow. I don't think I'd have picked him up myself. They might want him on line with Richards I guess. Was there just no other option for Morrow?

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be one of the few who still hasn't bought in that Mike Richards belongs on this team. I thought that before this season and havent been impressed during his teams slump. i know last night his team played extremely well and slapped Gaborik and company hard, but there area other players I would have selected in front of him. The other Richard, Doan, Smyth and St Louis. Lecavelier even may have deserved the love more than Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0961
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:16:22  Reply with Quote
Bergeron should be blowing this poll away. I'd say most people could probably name 10-15 guys they'd have picked before him, when I look at the other topic for Canada's second team, I wonder if I'd even have placed Bergeron on that team.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would've loved Smyth on this team. He's called Captain Canada for a reason If only he hadn't been injured. I think he was on a great pace to play himself onto the team prior to that.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They all have roles. Mike Richards PK. Jonathan Toews shoutout. Seabrook chemistry with Keith. Doughty he's the 7th defenseman so ppqback if Boyle or Niedermayer goes down. Bergeron is I guess the 13th pick and he can play anywhere if somebody goes down. And saying this I'm well aware Toews and Richards has more to offer but I'm just saying why they would have taken them over other great players.

But this doesn't answer the question, I voted Bergeron, not because he doesn't deserve it but really because I wasn't even considering him to make the team.

And like HawkinOilCountry said Morrow was also a big surprise.

And Doughty for his age.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

They all have roles. Mike Richards PK. Jonathan Toews shoutout. Seabrook chemistry with Keith. Doughty he's the 7th defenseman so ppqback if Boyle or Niedermayer goes down. Bergeron is I guess the 13th pick and he can play anywhere if somebody goes down. And saying this I'm well aware Toews and Richards has more to offer but I'm just saying why they would have taken them over other great players.

But this doesn't answer the question, I voted Bergeron, not because he doesn't deserve it but really because I wasn't even considering him to make the team.

And like HawkinOilCountry said Morrow was also a big surprise.

And Doughty for his age.

If shoutout was a job, I should have been picked for team Canada!!

Kidding.

I am less surprised with who is on the team compared to who is not on the team. Specifically Brad Richards and Jay Boumeester. Clearly the direction was versitle and skilled. I can't think of 2 more guys that fit the bill better.

Personally, Mike Richards had not played nearly as well as many would have expected him to play, so he was bit of a surprise. Not on skill as much as other guys have played better. And the Bergeron pick is interesting but it's not that huge of a surprise. I also don't think that Chemistry has anything to do with it. I look at that group of forwards and in theory they can all play on any line with anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  11:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it's Bergeron, far and away. Now, this may be because i see him as an offensive player and ever since his concussion problems, that's the one side of his game that is yet to return to the level it prob should be at. Yes, he's getting some points, but if not for the inj's, i think he'd be a 85-90 pt guy today. I still don't know where he's gonna fit in. Who knows, he may not play a single shift? He may line up with Crosby? He may play a 4th line role? It's all up in the air at this point.

I will say this about his "chemistry with Crosby". Crosby is a stud. Most on this roster could find chemistry with the number 1 Canadian center! Heck, if i could skate just a little bit better......oh, nevermind.

I had M. Richards on my team from the get go. He's still on my team. And for those who don't like the pick, sorry, but he's on yours now too! The guy is not only one of the top PK'ers, he's a point a game guy over the last two seasons. Don't for a second think that this guys is all about the Selke! For those of you who like the +/-, how's +10 on a team that's been struggling?

I agree, B. Richards and J. BO could / should have perhaps been on this roster. I still say it comes down to roles and their roles are being filled by others i guess? To me, Bouwmeester is the bigger surprise of the two. Still think D. Keith more or less locked up a spot for Seabrook if you get what i mean. Not to take anything away from Seabrook as i think he's a good player, but does anyone really think Seabrook makes this team if Keith was an American?

Still say Bergeron should be running away with this poll. Is he not the only one on the roster who made it without having to take a break from summer vacation to attend the orientation camp?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  11:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alex, for a how about Dustin Penner for a guy with a solid +/- on a struggling team who has produced more than Mike Richards and is the Oilers #1 penalty killer. +11 on the worst team in the league???

Not in anyway saying I take Penner over Richards. I have been very disappointed with Penner in the past 2-3 weeks. Very lazy again, and no reason why. And Richards is a brillaint defensive forward.

The +/- things is really irrelevant. Rick Nash has one of the worst +/- in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6009
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  15:11:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I might be one of the few who still hasn't bought in that Mike Richards belongs on this team. I thought that before this season and havent been impressed during his teams slump. i know last night his team played extremely well and slapped Gaborik and company hard, but there area other players I would have selected in front of him. The other Richard, Doan, Smyth and St Louis. Lecavelier even may have deserved the love more than Mike.

I watched mike play in kitchener (memorial cup world junior gold , captain of the flyers at young age captain of rangers captain of world juniors. Any one who doubts him hasnt truly watched him.
He is a a Extemely Smart player tough and talented.
Tough being he would take a devastaing hit and keep going. I just suggest being objective and watch. I think he will truly open peoples eyes in the Olympics he might not score a lot but he will score with limited ice time and guarantee he will be a plus vs the best players in the world and pk duty.

He would block an al mcinnis (in his prime) shot from 20 feet away. I would have been extremely dissapointed if he had not been picked and I hate the flyers.
Watch highlights when he plays ovie I dont think he has lost to ovies team and has outplayed him by a wide marjin. I will leave it to the stats machines in the forums to find evidence of this.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0070
( )

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:09:35  Reply with Quote
how about brendan morrow
i would take lecavlier,st.louis, savard and lucic over him any day
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  13:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hey Alex, for a how about Dustin Penner for a guy with a solid +/- on a struggling team who has produced more than Mike Richards and is the Oilers #1 penalty killer. +11 on the worst team in the league???

Not in anyway saying I take Penner over Richards. I have been very disappointed with Penner in the past 2-3 weeks. Very lazy again, and no reason why. And Richards is a brillaint defensive forward.

The +/- things is really irrelevant. Rick Nash has one of the worst +/- in the league.

Beans, i agree, the +/- thing can be a little overvalued at times, was just throwing it out there for those who like the stat. While i never saw Penner making this team, you suggesting him as having a chance was never thought by me as to be you simply lobbying for an Oiler. He couldn't have been far off, especially with his former chemistry with Getzlaf and Perry. I think in this case they took a guy for a specific spot. My guess is this, Staal will be on the wing on Getzlaf's line. That's the only spot i could see Penner making this team. Richards will likely play the fourth line center spot?

I think this shows that they were more inclined to take a guy who was underachieving slightly but was on their radar all along over a guy who came outta nowhere to surprise them. Considering Seabrook was helped onto this team on his chemistry with Keith (at least that had to come into the pick somewhere), seeing Penner edge out Staal or someone else for that wing spot would not have shocked me as much as the Bergeron pick!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  14:12:51  Reply with Quote
Obviously Brent Seabrook he has been doing horrible and mike green didn't make it since mike green didn't make it I'm cheering for slovakia CROSBY AND FLEURY AND SEABROOK AND MORE AND TEAM CANADA SUCK!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  13:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6840

Obviously Brent Seabrook he has been doing horrible and mike green didn't make it since mike green didn't make it I'm cheering for slovakia CROSBY AND FLEURY AND SEABROOK AND MORE AND TEAM CANADA SUCK!

Nice post, well said, about as well said as it was punctuated. Then again, he did put an exclamation mark at the end?
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  17:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the team. Although I do question Bergeron, but we shall see what happens. He very well could have an awesome tourny.

I defintely do find it funny that so many people picked Calgary D (including myself) and none of them made it, funny how fast things can change.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  17:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest surprise addition for me is down to perhaps two guys... Eric Staal and Patrice Bergeron.

Staal has size, but he's not having a very good year in any standards. Brad Richards should have his spot, in my opinion.

As for Bergeron... this is a guy that should fill the 4th line well. Adding some grit with offensive upside, who will play hard every game. Perhaps not the biggest name out there, but perhaps he'll be the role player needed for the small things.

In all, I'm surprised that Brad Richards is not on this squad. I mean, I believe Lecavlier is a better player than Eric Staal (imo) and both he and Staal are having horrible seasons (only reason i see Lecavlier being left off) and yet Staal made it.

Marty St. Luis is a guy i'd like on this squad also, sadly roster spots do not permit.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  03:21:35  Reply with Quote
Bergeron is having a good year.....he is playing without anyone, Savard just came back, and they traded Kessel, and no Lucic, with all the injuries, he is producing quite nicely, and he can play in all situations. Don't know if he deserves to be there ahead of B. Richards or St. Louis, but I took him before Toews, and Stamkos
Go to Top of Page

Guest4802
( )

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  13:44:32  Reply with Quote
i don't know why bergeron was such a surprise, you need someone to kill penalties and win faceoffs, especially when ur 5on3. Toews doesn't kill penalties and there's no doubt that they have enough offense on the power play. He's a great player, and I like him, but I still think there's more room for a Jordan Staal on this team or a proven Lecavalier or St. Louis.
.. and i know he hits but why isnt Morrow on this list??
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  23:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4802

i don't know why bergeron was such a surprise, you need someone to kill penalties and win faceoffs, especially when ur 5on3. Toews doesn't kill penalties and there's no doubt that they have enough offense on the power play. He's a great player, and I like him, but I still think there's more room for a Jordan Staal on this team or a proven Lecavalier or St. Louis.
.. and i know he hits but why isnt Morrow on this list??

Because when you think of a Canadian hockey player, Morrow comes to mind. He hits, scores, wins. He is a gritty player who will play fantastically next to Mike Richards. Were going to need the dirt if were going to win.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  12:25:53  Reply with Quote
Seabrook has been having a horrible year. Doughty is having a good year. Mike Green is having a great year. Boyle is also having a great year.
Mike Green is best offensively and third defensively. (consistently good)
Boyle is second best offensively and worst defensively.(Always 100% played)
Doughty is third best offensively and best defensively.(Inconsistent)
Seabrook is worst offensively and second defensively. (Consistent)
Opinion statements.
Biggest mistake by team Canada would be Mike Green not making it.
Seabrook should have been cut.
D lines should of been
Mike Green, Duncan Keith- Shea Weber,Dan Boyle- Drew Doughty, Scott Niedermayer.
1st line because Mike Green shows outstanding offensive skills and is fast enough to get back and Duncan Keith is all around good but excels with defensive play and holding the blue line.
2nd line for Speed of getting around with the ability to both pinch up and play offensive.
3rd Line for the good rookie to be with the Veteran.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4539
( )

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  20:47:52  Reply with Quote
Im not sure if im crazy or not but why aren't you guys taken a surprise to chris pronger being on the team. he is the biggest goof ball ever. He lost it for us in Torino when taking that bad penalty and then this year he gets an A. !RIDICULOUS!

O ya if any of your agree reply to this or send me an email at [Moderator Edit-Spam]

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/23/2010 09:09:53
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  09:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4539

Im not sure if im crazy or not but why aren't you guys taken a surprise to chris pronger being on the team. he is the biggest goof ball ever. He lost it for us in Torino when taking that bad penalty and then this year he gets an A. !RIDICULOUS!

O ya if any of your agree reply to this or send me an email at [Moderator Edit-Spam]

Regardless of Pronger having 6 bad games in Torino, he is still one of the best defensemen in the game today, Canadian or otherwise. The Torino games were played on international ice where Pronger(as well as many other Canadians) were simply out of their element. This Olympics is being played on an NHL sized ice surface, to which Pronger excels.

Absolutely he deserves the A and maybe even the C.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  09:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree he's good and an Elite defenseman when his game is on, but I dont disagree with the guest who suggested his poor timing and quick temper has cause a few untimely penalties. I wouldnt have lost a nights sleep if they had move Green or Bouwmeester into Prongers slot.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  09:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am watching a few more Bruins games, and still have absolutely no idea why Bergeron is on this team. I am also stumped on Doughty, but at least there's a solid argument to be made for the young man because he is having a very good year. Bergeron? meh . . . good player, not an elite player . . . and he brings nothing else to the table besides second tier offence and face-offs.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  10:43:43  Reply with Quote
Bergeron is a big body that they could use on their 4th line but if Lucic wasn't injured i'd say he deserved the spot. Doughty is having a good year not sure if he is team canada worthy definitely not Mike Green worthy. Bouwmeester i have respect for the guy and he usually comes on second half of the season; but with all the defense and offense around him on the first 2 lines he should be easily at 30 points as a complete defense man but instead he is playing poorly offensively and only decent defensively not really for team canada this year. Pronger could easily cost us the gold medal but he could also easily win it for us; though i am not cheering for team Canada he is an excellent addition to the team. Seabrook a good defensive defenseman maybe worthy of the 8th defense but really what does Chemistry have to do with it; Ducan Keith is our defense and putting 2 defensive defenseman together is almost pointless; also Ducan Keith should be playing the most time on ice for team canada Seabrook is 3rd line at most; there goes Chemistry. If you want a pure defensive defense man instead on Seabrook with his inconsistency Willie Mitchell would have been a better choice; but i know willie Mitchell is so not olympic material with little offensive skill. Morrow is a Great Power forward but i think he does lack our offensive ability so for the biggest surprise Morrow or Seabrook are good choices.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0342
( )

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  23:36:47  Reply with Quote
Let me know if you've heard of Brent seabrook before?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page