Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Biggest Surprise OMISSION Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who, in your opinion, should have made Team Canada but didn't?

Who would you cut for that player?

Choices:

Green
Bouwmeester
Phaneuf
Smyth
Doan
B. Richards
Penner
Cammaleri
Lecavalier
St. Louis
J. Carter
Sharp
J. Staal
R. Regehr
Other (Who?)

Edited by - HawkinOilCountry on 12/31/2009 09:31:52

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Ryan Smyth, and I would drop Richards, Morrow or Toews for him in a heartbeat. He brings an amazing level of heart and soul to any team, and he's really hard to NOT cheer for.

Besides his injury I would guess that the only thing holding him off the team was that Steve Y wanted a younger team and didn't want to bring too many guys back from the Turino team.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  09:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with your 3 picks to drop and your reasons for including Smyth. I would have added Smyth, Doan and St Louis. I just dont know which one to pick over the other.

But I do not envy the guy who made the picks, Yserman. Time will tell if he did it right or not, even if it aint his fault he will be the one to blame if we get Silver not gold.
Go to Top of Page

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to choose Phaneuf. I dont think there is a better open ice hitter in the league today. When playing the Russians and Swedes you are going to want a guy that can step p and hammer a star player. Who to drop is a tougher question. As Stevie Y said every player was picked with a role in mind... Having said that I think I would leave off Doughty. He's obviously the 7th d man and you have to wonder if he can play as good as he can when he inly may get 6 to 7 mins a game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4131
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:28:51  Reply with Quote
Here is my verdict:

Bouwmeester over Neidermayer (ol' scotty won't be able to keep up with an Ovi or Kovi - his speed just isn't there anymore, and his minus 10 is there to prove it - bouwmeester is younger, faster and he's got a lonnnng reach, and a + 10 btw)

Green over Doughty (Doughty is amazing at just 20yrs old but you need to go with top point getter - i would have even put green 7th D for PP time - also, people tend to question his defensive side of the game - the guy is +14, which is tied for 6th in the NHL)

Brad Richards over Brendan Morrow (Richards had a rough past couple of seasons battling with injuries but he's been simply amazing this year - he deserves to be on that team - i think morrow just made it because he is a role player)

Lecavalier over Staal (these guys are very much alike, and both had a slow start but Lecavalier has been getting better and better the past couple of months - he had 16 pts in 15 games in dec - Overall i think he is better then Staal)

Savard over Bergeron (compare stats and points per game with these 2 - Savard kills bergeron. Nash needs someone to feed him the puck and i think savard would have been the perfect guy to do that - the guy could set up a heterosexual KKK member with Kimbo - although i am sure crosby won't have any trouble doing that either. Savard is the most underated hockey player in the NHL - yet i keep seeing him in the top 10 in points year after year)

and with St. Louis as my bubble player if someone can't make the games come Feb..
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4131

Here is my verdict:

Bouwmeester over Neidermayer (ol' scotty won't be able to keep up with an Ovi or Kovi - his speed just isn't there anymore, and his minus 10 is there to prove it - bouwmeester is younger, faster and he's got a lonnnng reach, and a + 10 btw)

Green over Doughty (Doughty is amazing at just 20yrs old but you need to go with top point getter - i would have even put green 7th D for PP time - also, people tend to question his defensive side of the game - the guy is +14, which is tied for 6th in the NHL)

Brad Richards over Brendan Morrow (Richards had a rough past couple of seasons battling with injuries but he's been simply amazing this year - he deserves to be on that team - i think morrow just made it because he is a role player)

Lecavalier over Staal (these guys are very much alike, and both had a slow start but Lecavalier has been getting better and better the past couple of months - he had 16 pts in 15 games in dec - Overall i think he is better then Staal)

Savard over Bergeron (compare stats and points per game with these 2 - Savard kills bergeron. Nash needs someone to feed him the puck and i think savard would have been the perfect guy to do that - the guy could set up a heterosexual KKK member with Kimbo - although i am sure crosby won't have any trouble doing that either. Savard is the most underated hockey player in the NHL - yet i keep seeing him in the top 10 in points year after year)

and with St. Louis as my bubble player if someone can't make the games come Feb..

My response to to the posts in Bold. Bouwmeester over Neidermayer. Not on a cold day in hell. Bouwmeester will definately be at the next olympics if his level of play is where it is now, but to remove the captain of Canada's Olympic team and a player who has won it all and is on the top of his game for a player who may compete in a foot race? I'm not saying Bouwmeester doesn't compete for a spot in the playoffs, he does, but you picked the wrong D-man to make this comparison.

Lecavalier over Staal. You said because Lecavalier is starting to play well. Well Staal was injured at the beginning of the season and his team tanked it. Now that Eric's back he arguably one of the hottest forward playing in the last 5 games. Again I think you picked the wrong player to compare here and I dont think Lecavalier make my team if I picked it today.

I dont have a problem with the rest of what you said but I think you had poor taste in the Hetro KKK comment.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4131
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  11:12:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4131

Here is my verdict:

My response to to the posts in Bold. Bouwmeester over Neidermayer. Not on a cold day in hell. Bouwmeester will definately be at the next olympics if his level of play is where it is now, but to remove the captain of Canada's Olympic team and a player who has won it all and is on the top of his game for a player who may compete in a foot race? I'm not saying Bouwmeester doesn't compete for a spot in the playoffs, he does, but you picked the wrong D-man to make this comparison.

Lecavalier over Staal. You said because Lecavalier is starting to play well. Well Staal was injured at the beginning of the season and his team tanked it. Now that Eric's back he arguably one of the hottest forward playing in the last 5 games. Again I think you picked the wrong player to compare here and I dont think Lecavalier make my team if I picked it today.

I dont have a problem with the rest of what you said but I think you had poor taste in the Hetro KKK comment.

Umm take Scotty out - and put Crosby Capt'n, or Iginla - face it the guy just can't keep up with the young guns anymore... Yes he has been phenominal in the past but at some point age catches up to ya...and i think bouwmeester would have been the right pick - or maybe Phaneuf - he can change the momentum with a single hit... So much talent on D it's hard to say...but i wouldn't have picked niedermayer on my squad - he would be in the top pairing on any other team - but there is just too much talent on D for Canada right now... go with the younger quicker guys, thats the way the game is played now a days..

As for Staal, i agree with you, it's a tough choice, and staal is known for his clutch play...he single handedly beat out NJ in the playoffs last year...i just think lecavalier has proven he can be on that team in the past month, but then again i guess so has Staal..

And the KKK coment is not to offend anybody - just the 1st thing that came to mind!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest1763
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  11:15:32  Reply with Quote
Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:06:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brad Richards in; Bergeron OUT.

The stats speak for themselves:

Bergeron - on pace for 63pts,
- career best 73 pts.

Richards - on pace for 95 pts (which would be a career best)
-currently 10th in league scoring.
-former stanley cup AND Conn Smyth trophy winner

How can you leave a former NHL playoff MVP whose having a career year off the team?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  11:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Brad Richards, because he's having a fantastic year plus he's known to step up when it matters.

Other than him the only three that I would have like to see make the team was Ryan Smyth over Morrow, Jordan Staal over Bergeron and Bouwmeester over Doughty.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  12:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Green, but it was tough, as I think the ommissions of Bouwmeester and Brad Richards (considering who is there instead - Doughty, and in Richards' case you could pick Toews or Bergeron) are also hard to swallow.

But it has to be Green . . . the top scoring defenceman! How can this be? Has it ever happened for any team ever that the top scoring defenceman doesn't make the cut?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4004
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  15:47:02  Reply with Quote
green for doughty. bouwmeester for seabrook. carter for bergeron.lucic for toews

Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  16:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4004

green for doughty. bouwmeester for seabrook. carter for bergeron.lucic for toews

ok first of all toews is having a way better start than lucic maybe because hes been injured but i would go with toews before lucic and bouwmeester for seabrook, i dont think so i just dont like bouwmeesters play i think he is way overrated and seabrook is way underrated and seabrook can also get points like bouwmeester but i feel seabrook is a better checker and alround defensive player.

but i would consider green for doughty but i think they took doughty so canada will have a guy they can go to on the point for the next 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2674
( )

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  19:39:09  Reply with Quote
Brad Richards for me, not only is he having a hell of a year for the Stars, but he is a great all-around player, and is a proven big-game player, the guy is clutch.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad Richards plays well every year. We may not hear a lot about this guy, but he can play. He is very consistent and plays two-way hockey. He plays in a Southern US market, even though Dallas, so we hear little of him. But this is a guy I'd take on my team any day. Hard working, consistent and knows how to get it done.

I think he'd suite Team Canada well. But there is only 23 slots, not all forward slots at that. So it's hard to say if he should be there over any other member selected, but perhaps Eric Staal would be a good spot for Richards to replace.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4004

lucic for toews

Lucic? Really? Maybe as a towel boy. Every single other person listed in this poll would get on Team Canada before this clown.

What is it exactly that poeple think he can bring to team Canada? A broken ankle and below average play? I really don't understand the Lucic fan club.

Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I find it interesting that there's been no votes for Cammaleri. Wasn't there a big stink in past topics about getting this guy on the team?

Regehr I'm not surprised to see no one has voted for him. This season he's invisible and I have a hard time explaining why he went to the initial camp.

And apparently I'm the only Smyth fan Ah well, Canada is going to light it up !

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  15:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Bouwmeester over Seabrook. I still maintain that they really must like the chemistry Seabrook has with Keith. Most guys are gonna be playing with new linemates/d-mates, why can't D. Keith?

I have no problem with the suggestion that was made of taking Bouwmeester over Niedermeyer. Nieds really isn't having a great year and made this team on his resume alone. I love the guy, and truly hope he can elevate his level in front of his home province fans to the level we've seen in the past. I think it's pretty obvious the olympics are the reason alone that he stuck it out for another year. Could Stevie Y really leave him off this team?

My no love for Green continues here. Sorry to those who are disappointed he didn't make it. I don't care if he was +87 right now, he wouldn't have made my squad over the guys Yzerman chose! He's got some work on his defensive game to do if he wants to see a spot on a team like this!

Lucic, not a chance due to his injuries, but the guy could have filled a role. They didn't invite him to the orientation camp to try out for the number one line.

Brad Richards is the only other guy i see who could have made this team over a few guys. I hope he's the first replacement if a guy goes down. What a year he's having!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  15:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milan Lucic plays a very physical, tough game. Unfortunatley, it's not the level of toughness Team Canada needs.

Lucic is a tough-guy who plays gritty. But with Canada, we want grit combined with offensive talent. Lucic lacks in the offensive talent porition, when compared to other guys Canada has to choose from.

The Olympics does not allow fighting, so no role there for Lucic.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  11:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course Seabrook is on the team with Keith! To date in the 09/10 season Keith and Seabrook are the best all around defensive tandem in the league. You can't teach the chemistry these guys have with each other.

I'm sure Keith could play with someone else, but not as well. Why break up the line? Same deal with Heatley, Thornton, and Marleau. I think Yzerman is making the right call in having some lines that have played together all year. Gives them an edge that few if any other teams will have.

I would almost say that if Seabrook wasn't on the team, Keith wouldn't be either, and vise versa. Too many other D-men that can put up a good solo effort while paired with pretty much anyone (ie: Green, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf) . But the package deal of Keith and Seabrook is just too good to ignore.

Go to Top of Page

Guest3652
( )

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  08:49:18  Reply with Quote
My pick would be St-Louis. In the last 2 world championship he was one of the best if not the best forward for team Canada. Also, he is playing very well this year. Look at Stamkos stats and Levavalier stats. In the beginning of the season he was playing with Stamkos and Lecavalier was struggling. Now, he plays with Vinny and it's Stamkos who is struggling. He is one of the few player who makes others better.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7182
( )

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  09:47:02  Reply with Quote
Smyth for Bergeron
Go to Top of Page

Guest2789
( )

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  13:21:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3652

My pick would be St-Louis. In the last 2 world championship he was one of the best if not the best forward for team Canada. Also, he is playing very well this year. Look at Stamkos stats and Levavalier stats. In the beginning of the season he was playing with Stamkos and Lecavalier was struggling. Now, he plays with Vinny and it's Stamkos who is struggling. He is one of the few player who makes others better.

I agree 100 percent!!! Big mistake picking Bergeron.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting to really like this Doughty character! He was great against San Jose last night.

If I wanted to bring Bouwmeester in i think I might have to drop Weber instead of Doughty.

Bergeron got hurt last night, hopefully not seriously. But if he does have to be dropped I'd like to see Brad Richards, Smyth or St. Louis in his place.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page