Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Kessel Trade after 40 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  07:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Now that Kessel has played and all the questions of if he can play without a Savard like set up man have been put to rest, the question is with the Leafs still looking like a lottery team was the trade worth it?

Pasty

Choices:

yess i`d do it again
no i want my first rounder

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  10:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kessel is on pace for 30 goals, 21 assists, for 51 points in 70 games.

Considering last season he had 36 goals, 24 assists, for 60 points in 70 games playing with one of the top 3 teams in the league and one of the top 3 set up guys in the league, he's about where the expectation should have been.

Further to this, TO is a different team with that kid in the line up. He is far more dangerous than I originally thought and he will make some noise for years.

That being said, hindsight is always 20/20. Taylor Hall will be a pretty special player and there are a few other undrafted or younger players that will be pretty solid. However, I don't think any one of them will be significantly better than Kessel.

However, 1-1st round pick is pretty even or even a lean towards TO. 2-1st round picks, if the 2nd also turns out to be a lottery pick is too much.

All in all, I would do this trade again knowing what I know 40 games later. I got exactly what I expected.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  11:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very simply: great trade so far, we'll see where the Leafs end up picking and then see how those prospects turn out.

No way IMHO do the Leafs finish bottom three . . . but this is a very tough team to figure out right now, and they are going sideways again.

Too early to tell, we'll see.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  14:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im gonna have to say this was a good trade for the leafs because Taylor Hall is a great player and scorer but theres risks with first overall picks not living up to expectations, there are countless players who went first overall and done nothing with their careers.

so i do belive acquiring kessel was a good move because i now belive he his a proven goal scorer in the nhl but that cant be said for prospects like Hall many think he will be good but you cant tell until he starts to play in the nhl.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  16:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Leafs are still ahead in this deal. Kessel is on pace to score 6 less goals then he did with Savard passing the puck to him. Hard to believe but it is true. I thought he would never score any goals without Savard.
He is a better player then I thought he was but he seems to have slowed. Perhaps the tight schedule with no training camp has caught up with him. Still he has proven to me that he is a skilled goal scorer. The up there with the elite but still a skilled goal scorer.
As far as Taylor Hall. I have said this many times, he is not such a big deal. He has potted 5 goals against weak teams in the WJC but disappeared in the big game against the Americans. He will have to show up in the gold medal game if Canada wants a gold.
Easily take Kessel over Hall. Kessel is and will be the better player over his career.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0477
( )

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:56:45  Reply with Quote
if edmonton hits the draft lottery, and play their cards right they could have some solid assets with what they already have. Eberle, and Pjaaravi, plus possibly a top 3 pick.

Kadri has been playing fairly well in the tournament, and him and Kessel will eventually do well. Plus there are those two other NCAA players Burke has.

In 3 years I think we will see if this trade is worth it or not as far as Kessel is concerned. Which is where I think Burke was going for the "sure thing".
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  09:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0477

if edmonton hits the draft lottery, and play their cards right they could have some solid assets with what they already have. Eberle, and Pjaaravi, plus possibly a top 3 pick.

Kadri has been playing fairly well in the tournament, and him and Kessel will eventually do well. Plus there are those two other NCAA players Burke has.

In 3 years I think we will see if this trade is worth it or not as far as Kessel is concerned. Which is where I think Burke was going for the "sure thing".

I was one who doubted the value of two 1st rounders for Kessel. He was clearly played as well as hyped, but has and will continue to fade as other teams attempt to shut him down. I know Burke was looking for impact now, so he got what he paid for. I'll call it a wash if Kessel can bring his level back up to where it was in the 1st 10-15 games. If he continues to get keyed by other teams and produces at 4/5 of last years potential I go with my origonal statement which is this is a steep price to pay for a not quite franchise cornerstone player.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how many times this has to be said, the true winner of this trade can not be evaluated until Boston has at least used up the 3 draft picks and you can see who they have. I'll tell you right now that Taylor Hall is not as good as kessel at this point in time and that the chances of Toronto getting the 1st overall pick for the bruins isnt that high.

The real dealbreaker for me is going to be who Boston takes with NEXT years 1st rounder. One would assume that burke will improve the team over the summer and toronto should be higher in the standings next year, but you never know.

This trade was a huge gamble for the leafs and it looks ok right now, but we shall see in a couple years.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest2667
( )

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  15:24:02  Reply with Quote
As stated above, this is one trade which you won't know who came out on top for a number of years. Kessel's best years should still be ahead of him, and we'll have to wait & see who Boston ends up drafting, and how those prospects pan out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page