Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Montreal Goaltending Duel Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  20:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
With both goalies in constant competition, starting a bit of a rivalry, and a seemingly split dressing room. What should happen with the situation?

Choices:

Trade Halak
Trade Price
Keep Both
Fire Gainey

Edited by - Axey on 01/27/2010 20:32:34

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  23:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It simply amazes me how quickly people turn on goalies. Anyone remember last year when that Mason kid had all those shuts out and wins and people were talking about him as a potential Olympic goalie??? What's he been up to?? Perfect example of how quickly fortunes(and opinions) of goalies can change in the NHL.

Price is a serious talent who is still very young and to quote a post in another thread, "Could another talent be ruined by the Montreal Media?" Montreal is quite simply the hardest place in the NHL to be a goalie. The expectations is so high, at times it can not be obtained. Consider that a keeper who many consider the best of all time and at least the most clutch playoff performing goalie in the past 30 years couldn't keep the rabid Montreal Fans satisfied either.

Regardless, I stay with Price and try to move Halak for as much value as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  00:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, as i write this, it's 2 votes Halak, 2 votes Price, 1 vote fire Gainey. I guess we agree here cuz i voted to keep Price as well. No way do i give up on the kid unless the package coming back is really sweet!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  05:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on to Price...

Price is a solid goalie even at such a young age, and the experience he's gaining is not lost.

He started really young and I could see him turn into a M-A Fleury or something. You have to be patient.

As for Halak, he's RFA, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a two year contract or something. Make him play next year as well to give Price the proper time to develop. And really Price is not that bad, already at his young age he has the hability to steal a game in the NHL.

Don't go out and feel like you HAVE to trade Halak, just do it if the offer is something you can't refuse.
Don't go and pull a Cristobal Huet and trade him for a second rounder (the year they were a contender to top it off)
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  06:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trade "RFA" Halak - he won't get any better that what we are seeing now anyway.
Habs are not going anywhere this year, get something for Halak now with hopes of this trade giving them a chance of at least making the playoiffs next year or showing some improvement.
Something's up in the dressing room, and it's a bad thing.
Even Martin - during the post game interviews, was too involved with his pizza to discuss the game. He responded to questions with every cliche in the book, and only had one thing to say: "Sergie K. played well - and should help the team if he continues to play well..."
That was his analyisis of the game?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  07:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7752, completely agree. The Habs, at best, will sneak into a playoff spot and prob be swept by a 1 or 2 seed. More than likely at this point, they'll miss the playoffs. Being that they're not really a serious contender and are in somewhat of a rebuilding mode, they ought to hang on to Price and be patient with him.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  08:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a point that has been missed here and posted in another forum is saying Halak has asked for playing time. I makes sense with all the games he's played. If not in Montreal, he is willing to go to another team.

As someone pointed out here he is RFA and potential suitors in the offseason are limited, but I think enough teams have shown interest that if he reaches free agency prior to a trade he's gone. There is no keep him for another year in Montreal to develop Price.

At a few points this year I have seen this guy play excellent, if not more consistant than Price and if Price hadn't been hyped as he had been, I would figure Halak for the starter instead.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  09:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say keep them both. I see nothing wrong with having two good, young goalies. Halak also, is only 23.

I know icetime is an issue, but go with the plan that they seem to be going with: play the hot hand.

They are both RFA's, so the Habs are in the drivers seat. sign, match or be compensated.

Again, here we go with Huet. HE WAS A UFA!!!!!

Some people also seem to forget that he is inconsistant and prone to bad goals. Yes, I'm sure Chicago is happy to be paying him over $5 million. The Habs certainly wouldn't have.

Further, he has NEVER won a playoff series.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there is another HUGE situation that people have missed. Not only is Halak an RFA this season, so is Price! Both are currently at that rookie contract value of $850k for Price and $800K for Halak.

Furthermore, the Habs also have to sign Plekanec who will be looking for a substantial raise on his $2.75 million salary. They have another l4 egitimate UFA's and 4 RFA's that need to be resigned or replaced. Plus they already have $45 million tied into 14 players.

I don't believe the can afford to keep both. It's not like Price and Halak are going to agree to stay on the same team, splitting time, for the same money. A cheap back up in today's NHL is $1.5 million a season and a cheap starter is $3 million.

I just can't see how they can keep both. They will sign one of them for around $3 million and go with a rookie for a back up.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, i'd say one has gotta go. They've been spoiled the past couple years with having two decent/good goalies for so little money, but it's gonna cost them sooner or later.

Funny, i read in Dec that when Halak started playing more that Montreal was shopping him and therefore showcasing him? Maybe he's played so well that they've been impressed and don't wanna let him go?
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clear this up Beans, I just thought this would be a hot topic to discuss, in no way am I giving up on Price. In fact, my opinion is keep Price and trade Halak .. top many times we have seen young players/prospects getting traded from Montreal for cheap and becoming good players.

If Montreal is to trade Price its going to be karma down the road. I think as of right now you would obviously get more for Price but the same arguement could be said that you are losing more as well.

A decent trade in my opinion would be Halak and a high pick for Turco and young player (Possibely Neal?).
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Axey, I think you are dreaming a bit there. Neal (along with Eriksson, Richards, Riberio, and Morrow) is completely untouchable. You will not see that deal as that would heavily favor the Habs.

Because Halak is an RFA, it makes him less value on the open market. Especially knowing that the Habs will ultimately not match an offer. You could sign him for $2 million and cost you a 2nd round pick, so that's about as much as you will see him attract at the deadline. Although, with both Turco and Halak being UFA's and RFA's, that might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it either.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  16:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reports yesterday stated...

"Markov told Price to play with heart, or don't play at all."

It would appear they are having some locker room issues in Montreal, to say the least. As we've seen trouble with the Kostitsyn brothers recently, etc... as well.

Not to mention, Halak has stated before that he "wants substantially more playing time, or to be moved."

The Canadiens can not keep both. For Halak (and Price too, i'm sure) it's either "I'm the starter here, or move me."

At the end of the day, Halak is likely to move. And I believe, he wants to be moved by next season at the latest. There is no staying.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5272
( )

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  23:40:28  Reply with Quote
The thing is that, even if I know that it won't happen because it can't, I'd like to keep both of them. But looking at this as if I was Gainey, I would trade Halak and get Sanford up with the Habs to teach Price a lesson. Sanford never had it easy in his career and he currently is the back-up to Desjardins, in the AHL. Desjardins is showing stellar stats and even got chosen in the AHL All-Star game.

By getting Sanford up with the club, you have a veteran goalie who's not a threat to Price, therefore not affecting his confidence over the number 1 spot and someone able to teach Price a thing or two about being a pro goalie. Meanwhile, you prepare Desjardins for between 1 or 3 years in the AHL. Price gets his ice-time and an experienced back-up willing to prove something. The competition wouldn't be the same because Sanford would be battling for a pro contrat, not for the number one spot.

Again, I'm not Bob Gainey and I'm no GM, but I can easily imagine Desjardins getting in the NHL as a back-up for Price in the future. The only problem is that we have to be patient, and Habs fans aren't always as patient as I am, since I see in Price the Fleury syndrom.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9208
( )

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  08:36:14  Reply with Quote
Who would wanna play there anyway,,fans suck,,,
Go to Top of Page

Guest9208
( )

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  08:38:34  Reply with Quote
and i think markov hit it firht on the headmmhe just lookslike he doesnt give a sh.. needs a few yrs on the bus,,
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  09:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, yes I had already mentioned that they are both RFA'a.

At 2 million for Halak, you don't think the Habs will match? Of course they would, not a doubt in my mind. Further, what sort of a raise is Price going to command? Not much.

If a team is going try and outbid the Habs they will have to do better than that assuming it gets that far.

What they should be doing is talking to them both right now to see where they are in their thinking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page