Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Nathan Horton - shopped around? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  13:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard a few rumours out of florida that they are shopping around Nathan Horton. The Leafs and Rangers are apparently interested in him

The offers I've heard include Grabovski and Mitchell for Horton

and

Higgins straight up for Horton

anyone heard anything about it??

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horton as been trade bait for 3 seasons. He is a better player than he produces, but that is a huge issue. Without some kind of production, no one wants his salary.

I think Higgins for Horton straight up is about right. I think the TO deal is heavily favored towards FLA. Horton for one of those guys, but not both.

Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im a die hard leaf fan and i cant stand either grabovski or mitchell so i wouldn't shed too many tears if they left. I agree horton has a huge upside he's just been in florida too long. The thing is in the long run i dont think grabovski would out score horton on this team and i think mitchell is a career ECHL'er let alone an NHL'er
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  15:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with beans here, horton for both is too much. IMO i would rather trade away grabovski instead of mitchell, but thats just me. higgins for horton seems like a good fair trade though
Go to Top of Page

Guest0212
( )

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  15:51:17  Reply with Quote
Horton is the next Kyle Calder
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  00:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, i can't be bothered to look up salaries, but i like Horton. If i were the Leafs, and the salaries work out, i'd do that in a second!

Higgins straight up? Not sure who he's been playing with in NY but Higgins hasn't exactly lit the lamp? I'd take Horton over him ANY day!

Again, salaries must be taken into consideration.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id part with grabovski but I think Mitchell could turn into a really good 3rd line centre. grabo just isnt consistant enough with his offensive game to stick around as a full time 2nd line centre. Id rather have Horton in that spot any day of the week. The leafs need a strong centreman with skill desperatley.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  12:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be interested to see what we would offer them for Horton. I'm not totally sold on him as of yet as his production has been decreasing every year and this year he isn't doing very well. For Horton it would be the biggest change in his hockey life going from an almost non-existent hockey market in Florida to the the mecca of the hockey world in Toronto. I'm not sure if he would crumble under the pressure or thrive and become the 30 goal scorer he can be. If there is a trade it better not include any draft picks though, they could be quite precious come the end of this season.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  15:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree that from the Leaf's side, a bit too much. We have seen pretty much by now what kind of player Grabovski is and what his potential is . . . Mitchell, we don't know how much better he ight become, and he still has lots of potential to be a very solid second line centre. Seems too high, considering Mitchell's promising play.

Higgins straight up . . . hmm, I guess that's about right.

I'd give up Grabovski and a prospect, maybe Tlusty or someone like him. I think Horton would be good for the Leafs . . . he'd be an upgrade from Grabovski at this point, and any change for the better I will take at this point in this so far miserable season!

But like a lot of rumours, I doubt it. Trades are so hard to make these days!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  15:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know enough about Mitchell but i think Horton is worth more than just Higgins. Well, at least from what we've seen of Higgins as a Ranger thus far anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Guest0978
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  15:11:48  Reply with Quote
Honestly I'm not sure Mitchell would make a third line center on most teams in this league. He would likely still be in the AHL. And I don't mind the guy but he's just not that good.

Grabo and Mitchell for Horton and pick (2nd or 3rd)... I'd take it.

It seems like the Leafs always end up trading with Florida...
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  15:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they owe us anyway for taking band aid van ryn

and even if you are "overpaying" for horton by giving up mitchel and grabovski you're not paying for a stats for stats deal you're paying for a better fit for your system and the higher possible dividend compared with that of either grabovski and mitchell. Mitchell is way too slow for the nhl he's the next coming of jason allison minus the talent
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  10:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is absolutely no chance that the Panthers would ever trade Nathan Horton straight up for Chris Higgins, never. As a Rangers fan i would love to see them land Horton, but i'm afraid the price would be much more expensive than the under-achieving Higgins. I would think Florida would want some sort of package in return which included at least one of Callahan, Dubinsky, Gilroy or Sangunetti.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  12:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Higgins for Horton. This is heavily in NY favor. I saw Higgins play a lot in MTL and he was having all the chances in the world from his coach but never delivered, he wasn't good at all. And I haven't seen much of him in NY but his numbers are pretty weak.

As for Grabovski and Mitchell for Horton, not bad but I like the idea of getting a second rounder in return with Horton.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6309
( )

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  12:53:12  Reply with Quote
whoever thinks either of these deals are realistic they are crazy. horton is underrated and his contract is not that bad, 4 mil a year. graboski and mitchell are junk and higgins has no more potential then horton.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  13:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who else laughed really hard at the Leafs fan who added Tlusty to the trade? Haha, the rules clearly state you can NOT add a player to a trade who is not property of your team. As Tlusty is now Hurricanes property he will not be involved in a Toronto Flordia trade.
And Gusteroni, Hortons production has only gone down because of games played. last year he had his best points per game of his career and this year untill the injury was on pace for his highest point total ever.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  04:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Who else laughed really hard at the Leafs fan who added Tlusty to the trade? Haha, the rules clearly state you can NOT add a player to a trade who is not property of your team. As Tlusty is now Hurricanes property he will not be involved in a Toronto Flordia trade.
And Gusteroni, Hortons production has only gone down because of games played. last year he had his best points per game of his career and this year untill the injury was on pace for his highest point total ever.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

I did, but then I looked at the date he posted it and it was in november, so maybe Tlusty was still a Leaf at that time.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  06:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canucks Man:
You ever laugh real hard at people who think Nov 17, 2009 comes after December 3, 2009?!? Ha ha, what a riot . . . who would try so hard at getting in a soft dig and then make themselves look foolish when they can't even read a date and look up when a trade took place?

From Wikipedia:
On December 3, 2009, Tlustý was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes for forward Philippe Paradis.[1] Tlusty scored his first goal for the Hurricanes on December 11, 2009 against the Capitals in his first game for the club.

You know, even if I HAD made the mistake . . . would it have been that funny, really?

I've changed my mind about Horton, btw . . . not so sure about himanymore, and if I were the Leafs GM, I'd want to avoid another overpaid second liner.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  07:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny how EVERY trade rumor somehow has the Leafs in the picture...
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  07:41:42  Reply with Quote
It's probably because they are only 1 of a handful of probable sellers in the NHL right now, and they may be the most in need of change. I think Edmonton is similar, and gets its share of rumours.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  08:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9836

It's probably because they are only 1 of a handful of probable sellers in the NHL right now, and they may be the most in need of change. I think Edmonton is similar, and gets its share of rumours.

Apparently Burke hasn't admitted to being a seller just yet, so hold on. Maybe they're about to sell the farm for Kovalchuk to see if he can rally them to an 8th place finish? I really hope Burke is just saying these things while already making a plan to "sell" and improve his team for next season? You have to think he is.....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9836

Apparently Burke hasn't admitted to being a seller just yet, so hold on. Maybe they're about to sell the farm for Kovalchuk to see if he can rally them to an 8th place finish? I really hope Burke is just saying these things while already making a plan to "sell" and improve his team for next season? You have to think he is.....

I read a funny quote from an Edmonton Beat writer the other day. He said that an NHL exec said Washington has the inside track on Kovalchuk. But what he also said is that Burke called about Kovalchuk too, but not because he was interested, more so if he was asked he could say he tried.

I wonder how often that happens where a GM calls about a high profile player even if they are not interested to be able tell their boss or the media that they inquired but the deal wasn't good for the team.

It's was a interesting point that I never really thought about before.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i wouldn't doubt this happens all the time. Also, i wouldn't doubt the package Burke offered was Orr and a fifth rounder?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2250
( )

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:18:10  Reply with Quote
i agree with u completely tiller...mitchell isnt even a 4th line player...toronto has too many small players up front, grab. can go easy enough
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  16:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally,

if I were the Leafs GM I'd trade Mitchell & Grabovski for Horton any day of the week, providing the Panthers were willing (Doubtful!)

Horton could make a great first liner to play with Kessel, a good sniper is exactly what Horton needs to play with. This kid has some talent, he just can not display it all with who is playing with in Florida. His support is not exactly "prime rib."

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  17:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two things. First of all, Horton is the real deal. I mean, let's look at this for a second. There are 30 teams in the NHL today each with a top line of 3 forwards meaning the top 90 players(ish) in the league make up those top lines.

Anyone have an idea what the 90th highest scoring forward was last season??? 51 pts. So basically, my opinion is that a player producing 50 or more point has a spot on one of the top lines in the league.

Although Horton has had a couple of seasons below that(closer to 40 points) he also has 2 seasons of more than 60 points, which would put him in the top 60 scoring forwards in the NHL most season.

He is also only 24 yrs old.

Damn straight Horton is a top line centre and he would be the top line centre on I would say at least 1/2 or more of the teams in the NHL today. If he is playing on the 2nd line, it would mean that team already had one of the top centres in the game.

Secondly, Steven Weiss and David Booth are both fine cut of meat. I think they all get a bum rap for playing in FLA.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hortons best days should still be ahead of him bean. He's only 24 years old, and was on pace for almost 75 points before his recent injury. I personally think Horton has the potential to be a 40 goal scorer in this league.

Edited by - ryan93 on 01/28/2010 18:28:22
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  19:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always maintained that Horton is a good player, likely a top liner. Bummer for him, Booth has been out since early in the season. Booth, for those who've forgotten or didn't know, was a 60pt guy last year! That's pretty potent winget taken away from Horton (assuming he played/plays with him?).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page