Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 If Getzlaf can't play in the Olympics... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  06:49:09  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who would be your replacement for him and why?

Do you take another center, or move one of your center's who will play wing back to center and pickup another winger?

Do you take a big guy? fast guy? tough guy?

There are many choices, but Getzlaf would definately be a hard person to replace.

Choices:

Brad Richards
Vinny Lecavalier
Martin St. Louis
Jeff Carter
Marc Savard
Steven Stamkos
Shane Doan
Mike Fisher
Patrick Sharp
Other (who?)

Edited by - willus3 on 02/09/2010 16:43:04

Guest4665
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:20:43  Reply with Quote
my vote went to Spezza, as he replaces Getzy's playmaking
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:40:22  Reply with Quote
Very spread out to start this poll...

I picked Brad Richards, he is quietly having a great year. He has big game experience, is a Con Smythe winner and if a straight replacement is what Canada would be looking for would be no.1 on my list of center replacements. His one glaring drawback is his +/-

A close 2nd in my mind was St. Louis (if Canada chose not to replace Getz with a center). Again Experience, skill and plays the right wing.

St.Louis and Getlaf are the only 2 in the top 10 in scoring this year not going to the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8369
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  08:13:39  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9836

Very spread out to start this poll...

I picked Brad Richards, he is quietly having a great year. He has big game experience, is a Con Smythe winner and if a straight replacement is what Canada would be looking for would be no.1 on my list of center replacements. His one glaring drawback is his +/-

A close 2nd in my mind was St. Louis (if Canada chose not to replace Getz with a center). Again Experience, skill and plays the right wing.

St.Louis and Getlaf are the only 2 in the top 10 in scoring this year not going to the Olympics.

While St Louis and Richards might have the edge on points by one or two, Stamkos is the Goal scorer here. I'll give that the other 2 have more experience but this team is chalk full of experience. I want to see for once them let a younger player with enthusiasm on this team, as I disagreed strongly with Crosby, exclusion last Olympics. I'll bet it would be thrilling for Stamkos to play and it may bring an contagious excitement factor that a veteran wouldnt.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  08:29:46  Reply with Quote
While I agree with you on what Stamkos can bring, it is something entirely different than what Getzlaf brings (which is not goals). So replacing Getz with Stamkos is taking the team in different direction.

On a second note, goals are great but I don't think the team will be starved for goals: Crosby (39), Marleau (38), Heatley (32), Nash (25), Iginla (24), Richards (23), Perry (21), Staal (20)

and Toews, Thornton, Bergeron and Morrow can all pot them in too.

What we are losing is the 8th highest assist man in the league, 4th highest canadian (Richards is 2nd, St. Louis is 3rd)
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  08:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with what Getzlaf brought to the table and what St Louis and Richards bring, but Stamkos would be my pick. I think Perry now doesn't fit this team, as he was considered highly for this team because of his chemistry with Getzlaf and now that he potentially is gone, Perry really doesn't fit. In a perfect world Perry gets the shaft, and St Louis / Stamkos get the call.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad Richards for me because of his history of being a big game player. MVP in the QMJHL playoffs. MVP in the Memorial Cup. MVP in the Stanley Cup playoffs. 56 points in his last 50 playoff games (61 in 61 overall).
And he was perhaps Canada's best forward at the '06 games & was our leading scorer. He was one of the best forwards in the 2004 World Cup as well...and on top of all that, he's having a great season.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/09/2010 09:09:34
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Yzerman told Jeff Carter to be ready for a call up in case of injury I've made a point of watching his play in a couple games and I can definitly understand the logic now. He's a smart, heads up player and isn't likely to harm the team.

Carter gets my vote.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Carter wouldn't be my first choice (nor my 2nd or 3rd) and i voted for Brad Richards...i do have a feeling that if Getzlaf can't go, that it will indeed by Jeff Carter getting the call.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5655
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:42:02  Reply with Quote
My vote is for Martin St. Louis. The team could use more natural wingers, and he is as constistant as they come. I think Perry becomes the 13th forward now, unless they need an injection of energy.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  11:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penner

Kidding. I would actually think it would be Jeff Carter. I watched a great program on the week end that had kind of a documentary of the Olympic Selection process and it appeared the Jeff Carter was the odd man out at the forward spot.

Interestingly enough, many people figured that the 7th defensemen choice was between Bouwmeester and Doughty when actually every member of the selection panel had Doughty way ahead. The debate on the 7th defensemen was Seabrook and Bouwmeester and the decision ultimately came down to Bouwmeester being a better individual choice but no one through breaking up Seabrook and Keith was a smart move.

Regardless, I would say Carter is next man in.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  11:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys wanna here something hilarious? My friends girlfriend is Jeff Carters cousin, and when he didn't make team Canada she went around telling people that he chose not to be on the team, that his fiance didn't want him to play, I actually hope he is the replacement just so I can ask her wtf she was talking about.

My honest answer is St. Louis, I thought out of everyone who didn't get picked he was the one who was most shafted. Leading Scorer at last World Championship, having a pretty good year this season etc.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:08:55  Reply with Quote
TSN amongst others is suggesting Carter.... I guess you can't go wrong picking another alumni from the class of 2003...

2003 Draftees going to the Olympics (in draft order)

1 - MA Fleury (CAN)
2 - Staal (CAN)
6 - Michalek (CZH)
7 - Suter (USA)
10 - Kostitsyn (BLR)
11 - Carter??? (CAN)
13 - Brown (USA)
14 - Seabrook (CAN)
17 - Parise (USA)
19 - Getzlaf ???(CAN)
23 - Kesler (USA)
28 - Perry (CAN)
33 - Eriksson (SWE)
45 - Bergeron (CAN)
29 - Weber (CAN)
62 - Backes (USA)
106 - Hejda (CZH)
205 - Pavelski (USA)
239 - Enstrom (SWE)

8 possible players on Canada's roster are from this draft year.

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your missing a Canadian, Mike Richards was taken 24th overall in that draft.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Brad Richards. He should have been there in the first place.

He's a clutch goal scorer, a playmaker, responsible defensively, has experience, a Conn Smythe and a Stanley Cup and plus he's having a great season.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:30:02  Reply with Quote
Damn, I knew I'd miss someone. You could almost make a competitve Canadian team just out of 2003 draft picks if you add guys like Phaneuf, Coburn, Burns, etc in there...

Sorry totally highjacking my own poll.

I'm still thinking Richards followed very closely by St. Louis.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  13:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I watched a great program on the week end that had kind of a documentary of the Olympic Selection process...

Damn, i saw an ad for that a week or two ago & was planning on watching it. I forgot all about it until now though.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  17:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question may be moot. Looks like just Day to Day with no damaged found from the MRI. He wants to play and sounds like it's not going to stop him.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309548

Now, this creates a new question. Should a player, such as Getzlef, play being at less than 100% or should he step aside/team Canada ask him to step aside for a player who is at 100%???

I know I wouldn't want to sit at home if I was picked for the team but at the same time, I would never live with myself if me not being at 100% cost the team.

Moral Dilemma to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Getzlaf can't make it, I take Brad Richards.

My next pick would be St. Louis.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  01:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I watched a great program on the week end that had kind of a documentary of the Olympic Selection process...

Damn, i saw an ad for that a week or two ago & was planning on watching it. I forgot all about it until now though.

You can watch the whole thing on youtube, its in 6 parts.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2716
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  04:56:22  Reply with Quote
Thanks Canucks Man, i will.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2716

Thanks Canucks Man, i will.

Forgot to sign in.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:58:53  Reply with Quote
Interesting results after 100 votes...

It would be interesting if Getzlaf couldn't play and Yzerman went with Carter. only 7 out of 100 knowledgeable fans would take Carter.

Looks like Richards has made a comeback in a big way too.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6198
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  07:01:37  Reply with Quote
Richards, Carter, Stamkos - all great picks. Can't go wrong with any of them.

But it should be St. Louis. He belonged on the team ahead of Staal Bergeron and Morrow anyway, at least, and contributes a scoring wing, what Canada has less of than quality centers. He's been in Lecavalier's shadow, but as a dressing room guy and a competitor EVERY night, he's the man.

If you look at what percent of games he gets points in, it's HIGH. Some players pile them on and then go cold (Kovalchuk, lol) but St. Louis is the PARAGON of consistency. That's what we need at the Olympics. Someone who is there EVERY game year-in year-out, not someone who could be hot or cold.

Stamkos could get jittery.
Carter could go cold again.
Richards is great...
but St. Louis is most deserving.

-Joel-
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  07:32:04  Reply with Quote
Can't argue with you on those points.

Morrow particularly is worrisome. He had a banner year 2 years ago, then out for a year and then this year has been just ok... He must have been written in ink on the roster 2 years ago, because I can't see how he made the team over some of the other "role player" choices available. I expect Doan, Smyth and Fisher (who are all having better seasons) would be just as good in that checking line role and just as good in the dressing room.

The one point I'd argue is that adding St. Louis would require a rebalancing of lines, but I guess you could move Staal to center to accomodate that.

Another thought would be to add Jordan Staal's name to the list.

He would be the true checking line center where currently we have really all no.1 line centers (Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Richards, Toews)

Adding Staal would add a new dynamic to the team:

Nash, Crosby, Iginla - Scoring 1A
Heatley, Thornton, Marleau - Scoring 1B
Perry, Toews, E Staal - Scoring/Energy
Morrow, J Staal, Richards - Shut down
Bergeron - 13th

So now I'm torn between Brad Richards, St. Louis (my initial two picks) and a guy like Jordan Staal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2240
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  07:53:29  Reply with Quote
I still cant believe V.Lec. isnt on this team !!!
Spezza is a big pu$$y...ott. will never push enough with him to win anything...sooky boy
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2240

I still cant believe V.Lec. isnt on this team !!!
Spezza is a big pu$$y...ott. will never push enough with him to win anything...sooky boy

Yah, 10 goals in ten games from a guy known as a setup guy. What a tool. Heres a dime and a quarter, try to make a better call.
Go to Top of Page

Nucks07
Top Prospect

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  12:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess there having a conference call today with getzlaf to figure out if he's playing or not... If he dosent play my votes for stamkos i think they need to add another goal scorer more than a play maker. Put him on a line with crosby and iginla and i think it could do some dammage.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4004
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  12:43:35  Reply with Quote
I CAN GARUNTEE YOU IT WILL BE CARTER......THE MANAGEMENT STAFF TOLD HIM HE WAS THERE LAST CUT
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  12:53:43  Reply with Quote
Well if you can gaurantee it then discussion over...

I still don't see how Yzerman could in good conscience pick Carter blindly because he was the last cut at a camp 5-6 months ago. He is having an ok season, and he is a solid player, but is he the RIGHT choice?

This poll would suggest that right now only 6% of hockey fans would pick Carter to be on team Canada as Getzlaf's replacement. NO we are not Yzerman, we also are not the Canadian Hockey brain trust, but I'd say that the sum of our opinions can't be that far off the debate that must be going on at Hockey Canada's headquarters.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  12:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on what's been reported since the roster was announce Carter is the most likely candidate. If they can't have the Getzlaf/ Perry combo they'll want the Richards/Carter combo. Carter has been told he is on the short list for replacement players. This was report by TSN some time ago.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4813
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  13:02:29  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still don't see how Yzerman could in good conscience pick Carter blindly because he was the last cut at a camp 5-6 months ago. He is having an ok season, and he is a solid player, but is he the RIGHT choice?

Actually they never cut anybody at camp, he was the last cut 12 hours before they annouced the team. Its pretty funny if you watch the documentary on picking the team, Babcock who isn't even apart of the selection team walks into the room and they have Carters name up there, he notices and says "You know, if the denate is Carter or M. Richards the coaches would rather have Richards"
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  13:17:08  Reply with Quote
Interesting... I have to watch this documentary.

I'd still suggest that in light of all available, current info (the decision of the team being in Dec), there must be some fresh debate over who replacements should be. It's not like Carter and Richards are lighting it up together.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  13:27:23  Reply with Quote
Again, this whole conversation looks to be moot as Beans has said, since Getzlaf thinks he'll be able to play. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4813

quote:

Actually they never cut anybody at camp, he was the last cut 12 hours before they annouced the team. Its pretty funny if you watch the documentary on picking the team, Babcock who isn't even apart of the selection team walks into the room and they have Carters name up there, he notices and says "You know, if the denate is Carter or M. Richards the coaches would rather have Richards"

damn it, I posted this.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats with everybody and Brad Richards? He was never even in contention for the spot. Getzlaf will play but if he didn't Carter comes in at centre or Staal moves to centre and Stamkos or St. Louis play wing

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say this is all far from a moot point, aparrently Getzlaf is meeting with team Canada brass today to discuss if he will be able to participate in the games. If he is not 100% I believe he will not play. Therefore this discussion is totally warrented. St. Louis all the way.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0906
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:21:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

Whats with everybody and Brad Richards? He was never even in contention for the spot.

Brad Richard's as a replacement has been argued very well on this topic...

To sum up reasons why Richards is a good choice:
- If Canada wants a straight replacement, center and playmaker, Richards fits the bill. Getzlaf is not a goal scorer
- He's having a great year, top 10 in scoring, no. 2 in assists out of Canadians this year (Getzlaf is no.4 out of Can)
- He's a big game player, Stanley cup winner, Conn Smythe winner, World cup of Hockey 2004 gold
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW........

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/02/10/carter_olympics/
Go to Top of Page

Guest9042
( )

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:54:27  Reply with Quote
I think Spezza or stamkos should be in. I know people will say Spezza isn't even in the top 5 but he's doing really well recently and is scoring goals and setting people up. Stamkos is also doing amazing this season as he leads Tampa Bay in goals and he's 5th in league. Spezza would be a good pick if they are looking for another playmaker and stamkos would be a good pick if they are looking for a goal scorer. Richards and St. Louis are also good picks but I personally don't think they'll do well this year on the big stage. (maybe St. Louis might though)
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  16:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Carter is the replacement, Not the one I would go with but a good choice none the less, The DOES NOT mean that Getzlaf wont play, they just want Carter there incase he isn't ready to go.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page