Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Grebeshkov to Preds for 2nd Rounder Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Tambellini's not actually catatonic like we thought he was.

News breaking today shows Grebeshkov's whopping 3.15MM RFA contract go to the Preds in return for their 2nd rounder in 2010.

Personally, I think the return is a little weak given the other talent unloaded for 2nd rounders recently. The Preds probably could have thrown in a middling prospect or something.

It'll be nice to get the contract off the books come summer-time, though.

Thoughts?

Edited by - impropriety on 03/01/2010 14:54:38

Guest2789
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:57:42  Reply with Quote
Katz should trade Kevin Lowe for a bag of pucks. Lowe was such a poor mgr....anyone who says Lowe has a good hockey mind, doesn't have one themselves. In a sense, he ruined this team...trading heart players and signing underaceivers to huge contracts.....what a joke.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why should he get rid of Lowe?

Lowe's reputation for making trades is the polar opposite of what we've seen since Tambellini took over. That suggests to me that axing Lowe really won't accomplish what you think it will.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another deal Leopold has been traded to Pittsburgh. I don't know what the return is yet.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the Leopold deal was for a 2nd as well. That's what I was getting at with the 'other talent' bit.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grebeshkov is an RFA in the offseason and will be looking either long term $3+ million a season, or both. So if the Oilers were not going to resign him, might as well get value for him. 2nd round pick is about right.

Face it, the Oilers are rebuilding and have all but solidified they will be doing it through the draft. They will fire sale anything they can for this season, draft a huge crop this season, keep salaries lower next year, then start the push in the 11/12 season.

It will be a long few seasons in Edmonton, but hopefully will be worth it with a Washington/Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA type team in 2ish seasons.

Gilbert's name is out there, apparently Sather has been interested all season. Not sure why. I think that guy is getting a cataract in his later year and can't see players as well. Gilbert and his $4 million a year contract and his countless turnovers every game would be beautiful on a different team.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/01/2010 15:49:33
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what you're saying, Beans, but I'm thinking Grebs is better than Leopold. Why settle for the same return - rebuild or no?

The other thing I've heard in my travels is that this 2nd could be a way to unload some of the other potential trade candidates (ie Moreau, Staios, Gilbert) to upgrade their high 2nd-rounder to a low 1st-rounder.

On the positive side, the pick brings liquidity to their assets. It's easier to shop a 2nd rounder than it is a struggling defenseman.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  20:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, a good move by Oilers management. I guess you can't do much worse with the setup Lowe gave Tambellini.

Great value for Grebeshkov: getting anything for a RFA or UFA is always good, especially with his contract size.

Hopefully the Oil will be able to trade for as many picks as possible, and maybe dangle some of them to get rid of bad contracts.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  13:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grebs injured!!! Not in a way you would even wish on your enemies. Had to have surgery on his "berries" after taking a shot to them...poor guy...ouch!!!

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.

Mod Edit - Here is a link to the Story. Poor Fella!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Injury+jinx+follows+Grebeshkov/2660765/story.html

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/10/2010 14:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  19:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, do "cups" not protect the "stones" anymore? I mean, i know these guys shoot the puck real hard but do they destroy the cup so much that the "nads" get cooked too??? Crazy....
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  20:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man! Emergency nut surgery does not sound good. I'm still cringing.

Not to completely bail out Lowe, but not forget that no one wants to play in Edmonton and they end up paying inflated contracts to get some players to stay there I think. Horcoff's contract certainly didn't end up working out too well though, but besides Souray that's the only bad contract left really.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page