Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Luongo to start... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  01:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it appears that Luongo will get the start tomorrow for Canada? This doesn't mean he's the #1, in fact, it's already been said that Brodeur will start the tougher game on Thursday and, failing a completely horrendous game, the game vs USA on Sunday as well? The thought is, get Luongo a game he should be able to win with ease and allow him to get any "jitters" out in case there's a need to use him somewhere down the line?
Not sure i entirely agree, but hey, i'm not the coach....

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Luongo-starts-vs-Norway-for-Canada-Brodeur-in-;_ylt=Ajw6Pwc0VHZZdxVlVLtQtmjflQY6?urn=oly,219859

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  05:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Brodeur is indeed going to be the man, then i do like this setup better. Give Luongo the early start, then let Brodeur run with it. Instead of having Brodeur play Tuesday, and then nothing until Sunday.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  07:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, i'm against the idea of Brodeur not starting at the very beginning. However,

If they do start Luongo, they should dress Fleury as the backup. That way, if Canada medals, Fleury will get one. I believe he has to dress atleast one game, or he will not be considered a part of the team during medal ceremonies.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  08:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy win or not - Canada shold not take any game lighter than another.
I don't think Luongo should start only because this is an easier opponent - a coach should always play his best players no matter who the opponent is. If the opponent is weaker, all the more reason to ensure a win with your best players.
I think he's in there because he's played better then Brodeur in the last week or so of NHL games.
If Luongo has a hell of a game - he should also start the next one too and keep going till the end if he can.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  09:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think this is Canada taking an opponent lighter by putting in Luongo, How the hell do you even come up with that. Intead of putting the best goalie in the world in lets put the second best who as been playing a little better than the other one in the last month. I think a pretty strong arguement could be made that all three of our goalies are the best three in the tournament, and really against Norway you can really go wrong. I agree with Beans, I would even have Fleury on the bench for this one, hell even let him play a period if there up a few going into the third. Then ride Broduer with Luongo on the bench until Broduer gets cold.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not Beans... sorry.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez, a guy tries to be patriotic for a couple of weeks and people get all confused!!

Kidding.

I like the Luongo start. Game one, in his garage. Absolutely the right choice. I also agree with the Fluery better dress at least one game to get a medal.

I still think Broduer is the guy and I can see him getting all crazy clutch again.

Although, one bad outing by Marty and the Van/Canada fans will be all up in his jock.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  11:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see i'm not the only one who mistook someone else for Beans!

The more i think about this, the more it makes sense. Gives Brodeur a little more rest before his start(s) and will def get the Vancouver crowd into "it" early. Not that the crowd wouldn't be crazy either way, but with Lui in there, it's gonna be wild!

I love the though of getting Fleury in there at some point but that'd almost have to be tonight you'd think, no? They're certainly not gonna take the Swiss lightly after what happened in Turin. I'm not saying that Fleury's not good enough to back up Brodeur in that one, but if they've decided Luongo's the #2, then you'd think you'd want him on the bench vs Swiss, just in case Brodeur falters?

I doubt Luongo sees even a dozen shots and it may not even get to double digits, but if he looks bad in the slightest way, Fleury may find himself on the bench sooner rather than later!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  11:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they dress Fleury for one of the first two games as well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7309
( )

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  13:22:28  Reply with Quote
all i can say is mamia
Go to Top of Page

Guest2234
( )

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  14:14:35  Reply with Quote
canada should be able to beat norway with six skaters and no goalie...bet they would...who cares who starts this game. Give Brodeur a rest...HE IS the man.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page