Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Booing Phaneuf Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The Toronto fans booed Dion Phaneuf on Saturday night. Did the new captain deserve the ridicule from the Leaf faithful?

Choices:

Yes
No

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no - but I think most Leaf fans thought that Phaneuf was going to be far more than he ever was, so its no surprise that they're disappointed in what they see. He got Obama'd, there is no way he was ever going to live up to lofty expectations there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4412
( )

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:04:06  Reply with Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but why was he booed?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4412

Pardon my ignorance, but why was he booed?

I didn't see/hear it, but from everything i've heard, he's not living up to expectations for a player making the kind of money he is. Expectations, unfortunately and even unfairly for Dion, are sky high!!! The quick start for the Leafs, with them now coming back down to earth, is likely getting many Leaf fans frustrated.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  05:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What . . . how could there be booing from the quietest fans in the league, according to most?

Personally, I think it's a bit premature and unfair to boo Phaneuf. He hasn't been terrible more than 1 game I'd say, and beyond that he's had quite a few mediocre performances, with a couple of solid ones.

He is finding his feet still in Toronto, so I find it puzzling that they would boo him so quickly here. Then again, it's Toronto, and if you don't start performing well quickly, the pressure gets ramped up. Versteeg is going to find the same thing happening too, if he doesn't score soon.

So, based on his play, no - I wouldn't boo him. But, as paying customers they have a right to show their displeasure at anything, especially so at the prices they are paying for their seats.

Hey, at least there are some vocal fans out there!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest2992
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:41:02  Reply with Quote
We shouldnt boo. Being a leafs fan myself i dont blame him. Torontos team is terrible with or without him, its not his fault they suck and are inconsistant!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  08:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Leafs are 5-5-1. 4 points out of first in the conference.

Sure they are on a losing streak right now, but there are ups and downs for every team in the NHL. Id say this is pretty good for a team that finished 29th last year.

Fans have the right to Boo whoever they want, Phaneuf is a tough guy. He can take it. A couple good games in a row will ease the fans minds. (when he comes back from the cut on his leg)

Versteeg, grabovski and Kulemin have the ability to score goals, its just not coming right now. Over the course of the season, itll even out. All 3 of those guys will finish somewhere between 15-22 goals.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest9438
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:13:38  Reply with Quote
Fans may have the right to boo anyone they want, but it's my(and many others) opinion that you should never boo your own team. You have to support them. I think most fans consider themselves to be a part of the team especially when they are at the game, you know the 7th man, or 13th(depending on the sport)
I've been on many teams before, and the ones that work are the ones that support each other when they make mistakes or aren't up to par. Not the ones that throw blame on individuals.
I am a sens fan, and even I think your fans shouldn't be booing phaneuf. You can keep booing alfy though, did he ever look good last night.
I was pretty pissed when the sens fans booed spezza at the end of last year, and then he admitted that he wouldn't mind being traded. He is not a superstar first line centre, but he is definitely one of the best, as they are hard to come by, and I would not enjoy losing first heatley and then spezza.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9438
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:15:29  Reply with Quote
Oh and now phaneuf is out atleast 4 weeks, let's see how your buds do without him...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4780
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:41:09  Reply with Quote
Stay classy Toronto!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  10:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/11/03/brophy_years_of_frustration/

A pretty scathing article by Brophy today, on the state of sports in Toronto in general, and why TOR fans should be booing.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  10:41:25  Reply with Quote
Booing is overrated and overstated. Most times, the number of fans booing amounts to 100 or 200 fans. I missed the Toronto game, but I doubt more than 500 fans booed Phaneuf.

I've been to many games where players were booed, including games when Gretzky came back as a King to play against the Oilers. (Yes, a few loudmouths booed the "great one.") There were a lot of boobirds out when Comrie came back to play against his old team, and especially with Pronger too, but most fans were indifferent about expressing themselves vocally.

When looking around the rink, it sounds loud, but most times, it's a minority of fans making the noise. One could argue that most fans do not feel the same when a player is being booed, or perhaps, they are too classy to boo?

It's rare (but kinda neat) to see the entire crowd boo a player or team, but when they do, it's deafening.

The loudest boos I ever heard was when the Oilers played against the Islanders in the 80's (in two cup finals), and you could definitely hear the majority of fans boo Billy Smith when he came on the ice, and whenever he touched the puck.

It's interesting who and how fans choose to boo. While a few fans booed Gretzky as a King, the vast majority of Oiler fans cheered for him when he came back to play against his old team. Messier was mostly cheered too, when he came back to play against Edmonton as a Ranger. Both players essentially left Edmonton to play somewhere else for more money (and perhaps for other reasons too), and fans seemed to understand this, but it didn't work out the same with Mike Comrie. It was great to see Comrie return to Edmonton last season, and Edmonton fans (for the most part) have a different and better opinion of Comrie because of this. Pronger, of course, will continue to hear the boobirds in Edmonton, and for that matter, in most cities where he plays!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phaneuf is a guy who thrives on pressure, and if you boo him he will respond and play better. I think the booing your own team has few benefits (ex. It lights a fire under their ass so that they start playing better), but in this situation it makes sense for a few reasons:

1) Phaneuf has been pretty terrible this season. Your captain should be the an example for the rest of your team, and should therefore play at a high level. Phaneuf has been far from the best Leaf, and even far from the hardest working Leaf. The booing tells him to get it in order, and to act like the captain.

2) He makes 6.5 mil a season. He needs to produce at a 6.5 mil level. He isn't paid all that money without the notion that he will pot at least 8 goals and add about 30 helpers. He needs to step up all facets of his game in order to justify his money.

Now, based on what the Leafs gave up, they still got Phaneuf for a steal. But now he has to prove he WAS a steal.

It will be interesting to see how he plays in 4 weeks, after he comes back from injury.
Go to Top of Page

bananas
Top Prospect

26 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Phaneuf is a guy who thrives on pressure

What makes you think Phaneuf thrives on pressure?
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phaneuf has always responded to pressure generally well in his career (minus Calgary last season). In the WJC with Canada he responded well to it, and in parts with the Leafs this season he has put up solid/better games than those in which he stunk the game before.

Phaneuf's problem is that he hasn't matured as a player yet, and still makes junior mistakes (ex going for a huge hit). But at the beginning of this season Phaneuf played solid hockey. It was only when he started getting out of position he was terrible. But, even yesterday, when booed he stopped going for the hits that put him out of position.

Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  14:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Phaneuf has always responded to pressure generally well in his career (minus Calgary last season). In the WJC with Canada he responded well to it, and in parts with the Leafs this season he has put up solid/better games than those in which he stunk the game before.

Phaneuf's problem is that he hasn't matured as a player yet, and still makes junior mistakes (ex going for a huge hit). But at the beginning of this season Phaneuf played solid hockey. It was only when he started getting out of position he was terrible. But, even yesterday, when booed he stopped going for the hits that put him out of position.

I am a Flames fan, so take it from me...

HE IS AWFUL UNDER PRESSURE!!!!!!!
The guy is a choker who makes his fans angry .
I worshipped him for 3 years, and then I started questioning my allegance to Calgary.

He belongs in Toronto. Go Leafs... I mean Golfs!

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/03/2010 14:38:41
Go to Top of Page

bananas
Top Prospect

26 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  15:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know how much pressure was on him in the WJC. That team was unbelievable. When you have Crosby, Getslaf, Weber, Carter....... on your team it takes the pressure off a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  16:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and similarly there is little pressure as a defensively-weak-but-offensively-skilled defenseman in Calgary when you have Bouwemeester/Regehr/Sarich/others manning your blueline along with you.

I don't think that Phaneuf has faced a challenge like he is getting in TOR - where he is expected to be the best DEFENSEman on the team, and to be one of the two best players on the team, and be the captain. Lots of new experiences there.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  16:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well phaneuf is injured so this should be forgotten in a hurry

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  16:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

... and similarly there is little pressure as a defensively-weak-but-offensively-skilled defenseman in Calgary when you have Bouwemeester/Regehr/Sarich/others manning your blueline along with you.

I don't think that Phaneuf has faced a challenge like he is getting in TOR - where he is expected to be the best DEFENSEman on the team, and to be one of the two best players on the team, and be the captain. Lots of new experiences there.

Little pressure? He was always expected to be the best defenseman on the ice. For his first three years he was awesome!

Calder candidate, All-rookie team, end of season all-star, norris finalist, all-star!
He was always expected to be amazing on the ice

He went from all-star to whipping boy in the blink of an eye.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/03/2010 16:50:03
Go to Top of Page

Guest9296
( )

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  17:04:27  Reply with Quote
Fans are always entitled to express their feelings in a non-offensive way. If people feel strongly against Phaneuf they should have the right to boo him. That said fans in Toronto are pretty quiet so it can be frustrating for anyone if people only express their displeasure. Personally I think people confuse the business of hockey with the sport. It shouldn't matter how much money a player makes for the fans. He's an offensive defenseman with the ability to throw some bone crushing checks. He is definitely pressing for points and taking some risks without getting the rewards, but that is the way he plays. It makes him exciting and he is definitely not invisible on the ice. One of the disappointing things about the defensive acquisitions by Burke is that they were brought in to fill certain roles and because they got a lot of money and there were leadership voids, they have been trying to do too much. If Phaneuf relaxes a bit, I am sure he will produce (when he recovers and gets back into game shape). Komisarek seems to have figured it out.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  17:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come when I cut (or lacerate) my leg at work, I have to continue working? :( Why don't I get 2+ weeks off, with pay.

All kidding aside, I only said it because somebody said "he's a tough guy... and, when he gets back from a cut on his leg" in the same paragraph.

As for the booing, I don't personally like booing my own team or players. No matter the performance. You're supposed to support them threw the ups and downs.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4013
( )

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  15:44:06  Reply with Quote
Phaneuf shouldn't have been booed. It's not his fault that the Maple Leafs as a whole aren't the greatest team. Being from Calgary, I got to see Dion play for years and his play get worse season to season. When he left Calgary many Flames fans didn't care who the Flames acquired, they were just happy to see Dion and his constant lack of defensive playing on the way to Toronto. When he arrived the Leafs fans and media hyped him up to be "their saviour" and get the Leafs back in the playoofs and a serious contender for years and years. I'm sure if Dion ended up in Florida they would be happy to get him, but would not consider him their saviour. It is just what the Toronto media does.... look and the Kadri situation.
Compared to last year at this time the Leafs are doing awesome. This is not Dion's doing by himself, but the team as a whole, if you are going to boo anyone at least boo all the other players that deserve it as well. Now, Dion is out of the lineup, do you think all the Leafs fans will be booing when he get back? No! They will all be happy and say "thank god Dion's back, we have missed him so much". How's that for irony?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4198
( )

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  05:02:50  Reply with Quote

6.5 million, 2 total goals as a leaf, none this year, ego-maniac, Calgary through a party when he left....no brainer....he is overpaid BUM !!!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you come to the hockey mecca of Toronto, get paid the big dollar, and accept the "C" on your jersey, what can you expect? You want to hear better luck next time? go to Atlanta. When your team, the Leafs, have the stones to be the highest priced ticket in hockey, and have been hosed with medeocre teams for 42 yrs, ya, they're going to let you know what they think.
If your feelings are hurt Burkey, get over it, you know what you signed up for, as did Dion.
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  09:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. If you take the big money, proudly wear the 'C' to your sweater, and declare that this year is the year you lead the team to the playoffs, you better produce. I don't feel any sympathy for the guy, and probably would have been booing if I were at the game. I get a lot worse than booed if I don't produce at work, and I sure don't make $6.5 million a year, nor do I promise things I can't deliver because I am an egotistical d***.

What is the worst to happen when you boo a player? You hurt his ego? Usually that's a bad thing, but in this case, I'll take it. Maybe Phaneuf will stop trying to lay big hits and actually play his position.

Phaneuf needs to tighten up his game when he comes back, or the boos will continue. And I, for one, will be adding my voice to the chorus.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  09:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This made me realize Luongo can never be booed - he'll always think he's hearing Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  10:10:09  Reply with Quote
Very funny "Just in!" about boing Luongo.

Does anyone remember Don Luce, who played for the Sabres in the 70's? Same thing – when the fans were shouting out his name, it sounded like boos.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  17:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's typical where a small amount of fans make the majority look foolish. It's makes the life of a Leaf hater even easier but really it's unfair. Phaneuf is one player who is doing exactly what he has done through his entire career with the exception of one thing and that is scoring. He has not lit the lamp a bunch and I can see how a fan could be frustrated with that.

However, the truth of the matter is the Leafs lack of scoring depth has been brought to the forefront in the past 1/2 doz games. If Kessel is not scoring, the Leaf struggle mightily to win. Period.

Phaneuf does not deserve the boos any more or less than any other Leaf player.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9729
( )

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  08:22:08  Reply with Quote
If you are a paying customer you have the right to display your displeasure. I personally would rather cheer and encourage and support. However if a boo is in order, so be it
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  13:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It's typical where a small amount of fans make the majority look foolish. It's makes the life of a Leaf hater even easier but really it's unfair. Phaneuf is one player who is doing exactly what he has done through his entire career with the exception of one thing and that is scoring. He has not lit the lamp a bunch and I can see how a fan could be frustrated with that.

However, the truth of the matter is the Leafs lack of scoring depth has been brought to the forefront in the past 1/2 doz games. If Kessel is not scoring, the Leaf struggle mightily to win. Period.

Phaneuf does not deserve the boos any more or less than any other Leaf player.

Most reasonable Leaf fans knew the team was going to struggle to score goals, and knew that Phaneuf was spotty on the defensive end. Those who expected a Pronger-esque, Norris candidate were sucking wind. You're right to say that the only thing different about Phaneuf's game compared to his time in Calgary is that he hasn't been scoring, but I think you're wrong to just blow that off; for the amount of money he is paid, Phaneuf should offer more to the team than the odd monster hit and a good defensive showing every three games or so.

But even then, that's not the real reason he was booed. There are plenty of other players on the team who aren't playing to their potential, and most fans are willing to accept that players have cold-spells, or see that they are playing well and just don't get the bounces, or might take a while to click with new linemates etc. It's early in the season yet, Phaneuf might have just been in a slump, it happens. Why the boos then? Ego, that's why. The fans don't boo other underperforming players (yet) because they (usually) don't make elite money. Nobody else accepted the role of captain based on their willingness to shout at the other guys on the ice, despite never having produced anything as a member of the team. Nobody else said at the beginning of the year that they wouldn't accept anything other than playoffs.

If Phaneuf tries to play the role of an elite player, but puts up journeyman numbers and makes bad defensive plays, what more should he expect? People say the crowd at the Air Canada Centre is weak, and they are right. The fans haven't had a sniff of even modest success for years. Phaneuf promissed it, and it was probably unfortunate for him that the Leafs came out of the gate as strongly as they did. Starting the season so well got people's hopes up, and when reality started to hit, they blamed the guy who promissed this year would be different.

Leaf fans often (always?) have insane expectations, but this isn't a case of somebody failing to live up to unreasonable hype. Phaneuf embraced the hype, fed off it, fed into it, and now he's failing to live up to it. It's his own fault as much as it is the maniac fans.

Edited by - TheRC on 11/06/2010 13:46:23
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  14:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did Phaneuf feed into the hype?? When he got his $6 million contract he was an elite scoring player on a team that (if I am not mistaken) won arguable the most competative division in hockey. It wasn't hype, it was production that got him the cash.

Furthermore, he did not ask to become a Maple Leaf, he was traded there. It's not like he was a UFA that signed a big deal and knowingly came to the team as the messiah and advertised himself as such.

As I said, he has done exactly what he has always done with the expection of goals. And face it, the Leafs team today does absolutely nothing to support any defensemen scoring goals. Who was the last Leaf defensemen to score 10 goals??

It honestly comes down to a select group of fans that jump on and off the bandwagon as they see fit. They will choose their martyr based on their own ignorant views and make nonsensical statement based on what the media tells them.
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  16:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may not have had any say in coming to Toronto, but since arriving Phaneuf has made confident/arrogant predictions in interviews with the media, he's been all over a few different advertising campaigns, both for the team and hockey related products, and he was more than happy to accept the captain's C over the summer.

Did he ask for the C? Maybe not directly. But he sure did take it when it was offered, and embraced the role. That's a big deal considering Toronto fans haven't had a captain since Sundin left a couple years ago. You'd have to be stupid not to think that role comes with intense expectations. Has he lived up to the hype? Nope. You can blame the media and us ignorant fans all you want, but his mug was plastered all over this city all summer. Not Kessel, not Kaberle, not Versteeg, not Giguere, Phaneuf. The new captain, the sign that things were starting to turn around. There are plenty of semi-delusional band wagon fans in Toronto, I won't deny that. As stupid as I think those people are, you have to know that promissing them anything and failing to deliver will get you booed off the ice. Simple as that.

I guess at the heart of it we both agree he's underperforming, but we disagree where the expectations should be set. If you've watched him for years in Calgary you know his deal. Most Toronto fans hadn't seen much of him; if Calgary games were available, they were on late at night. All we saw were the huge numbers and highlight reel moments. When he was brought to Toronto Phaneuf was marketed as en elite defender by the media, but also by the team and, most importantly, by himself. You don't let them put you on a billboard out of modesty. Considering the hype versus the reailty, it's not unreasonable for fans to be dissapointed.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  18:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

but since arriving Phaneuf has made confident/arrogant predictions in interviews with the media, he's been all over a few different advertising campaigns, both for the team and hockey related products

Phaneuf did all that in CAL. Again, this is nothing new, and just supports the argument that Phaneuf is pretty much the same player in TOR as he was in CAL. As you say, most Leaf fans probably didn't see much of him before he got to TOR, so the surprise is understandable.

quote:

Did he ask for the C? Maybe not directly. But he sure did take it when it was offered, and embraced the role. That's a big deal considering Toronto fans haven't had a captain since Sundin left a couple years ago. You'd have to be stupid not to think that role comes with intense expectations. Has he lived up to the hype? Nope. You can blame the media and us ignorant fans all you want, but his mug was plastered all over this city all summer. Not Kessel, not Kaberle, not Versteeg, not Giguere, Phaneuf. The new captain, the sign that things were starting to turn around. There are plenty of semi-delusional band wagon fans in Toronto, I won't deny that. As stupid as I think those people are, you have to know that promissing them anything and failing to deliver will get you booed off the ice. Simple as that.

Although no one wanted to talk about it last year, there are reasons that Sutter was willing to give Phaneuf up, and this trade perhaps is not as lopsided as people thought.

Fact is, Phaneuf is Phaneuf, and you get what you get. The Leafs have tried to make him a leader and build a team and ideology around him, and so far it has not delivered. Perhaps Phaneuf just hasn't had time to grow into the role, or has been taken by surprise as to how hard it actually is. Or maybe he's just not that guy and Burke is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Time will tell I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  21:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know who Phaneuf reminds me of! Brian Mccabe!!!! its uncanny!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  07:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fans well over-pay at the ACC...look at what they pay out every season to watch a losing team, unbelievable if you asked me anything...biggest suckers in hockey.
If they want to boo, i can`t blame them. I Don`t think they even boo a particular player, i believe they are boo-ing the over-all ( just sick of losing scheme ) that has been in Toronto for a long, long time.
I personally can`t believe that Burke didn`t pursue Kovalchuk and solve a lot of the leafs scoring woes, while keeping the fans happy witha superstar to look at every night.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  06:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a lot of love for Phaneuf, it would seem, from Leaf fans themselves . . .

. . . but guys - to make comments that he has been making outrageous predictions and the such is pure crap. For clarification, please see Fourth Line Banger's post on the Leafs' new whipping boy.

The media creates almost all of this hyped up crap, and it is all to justify their job. It is a requirement to sell newspapers! You have to create hype, excitement, controversy . . . so they take comments out of contaxt, phrase it as if it wasn't an answer to a specific question, etc etc. I really find it sad that most people (not just sports fans) don't look past the soundbytes offered to them by the media.

Because going by the play on the ice . . . even despite Wilson bagging Phaneuf quite often . . . they are a much better team with him in the line-up.

Period.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Traveller
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  07:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me preface this by saying I am an Oilers fan so I will openly admit that I may hear some biased reports when it comes to (ex)Flames. I am not really sure if this is true or not to be honest but what better place than the Interweb to perpetuate rumours...

I heard that during his Junior carreer, Dion was so disliked by his team, they had all planned a trip to Kamloops (Or Kelowna...can't remember which one right now) as a sort of informal Team Building trip...and Dion was not invited.

Every report I have ever heard of him says that he is a cancer in the dressing room and only cares about number 1...or number 3 as it were.

A buddy of mine had a very sick little girl who spent alot of time at Ronald McDonald House in Calgary and the ONLY Flame that did not visit the House was...yup...you guessed it Phaneuf.

I am very surprised that he was chosen as a Captain of any team
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  07:57:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller

Let me preface this by saying I am an Oilers fan so I will openly admit that I may hear some biased reports when it comes to (ex)Flames. I am not really sure if this is true or not to be honest but what better place than the Interweb to perpetuate rumours...

I heard that during his Junior carreer, Dion was so disliked by his team, they had all planned a trip to Kamloops (Or Kelowna...can't remember which one right now) as a sort of informal Team Building trip...and Dion was not invited.

Every report I have ever heard of him says that he is a cancer in the dressing room and only cares about number 1...or number 3 as it were.

A buddy of mine had a very sick little girl who spent alot of time at Ronald McDonald House in Calgary and the ONLY Flame that did not visit the House was...yup...you guessed it Phaneuf.

I am very surprised that he was chosen as a Captain of any team

All this that you mention does not matter in T.O. (and neither does winning a cup... by the way)
What matters in T.O. is ensuring fans come in to watch the games, and that and the brass has the proper TV rights in place.
So, booing Phaneuf is probably an unexpected PLUS for the brass - it's generating media interest and anticipation for the fans on what will happen once he hits the ice again... perfect combination for more interest in this saga.
Nothing to help win a cup however.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2691
( )

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  08:46:59  Reply with Quote
Why do you think Calgary traded him?? Phaneuf is not worth anything close to what he is getting paid and his attitude sucks, I cannot believe he is Toronto's captain.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4412
( )

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  17:28:23  Reply with Quote
Why did Calgary trade him? Their management's motives are questionable to say the least, so you can bet that whatever reason they had for trading him, it was for reasons that were anything but logical or with purpose.

True, he is maybe a little overpaid, but he is still at least within a good range of his actual value, although that is very much a matter of opinion.

I think he's a pretty good captain, considering he pretty much embodies Burke's style of play - hard, ruthless. I do not know all the details of why he was booed, but as long as he plays hard, shoots the puck, and nails people, I think he's doing his job.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page