Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Stanley Cup Final - Vancouver Vs. Boston Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest6816
( )

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  21:10:31  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who will win the 2011 Stanley Cup Championship?

Choices:

Vancouver in 4
Boston in 4
Vancouver in 5
Boston in 5
Vancouver in 6
Boston in 6
Vancouver in 7
Boston in 7

Guest6816
( )

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  21:13:48  Reply with Quote
Vancouver Vs. Chicago in 7
Vs. Nashville 6
Vs. San Jose 5

Now Vs Boston 4
Go to Top of Page

Nucks07
Top Prospect

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  21:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im hoping Vancouver in 7 cause im in Calgary for games 2-5 and my bday is on game 7 so it would be the best birthday present ever!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  21:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My prediction is Vancouver in 5, but like the Van/SJ series, it will be MUCH closer than the 4-1 line seems to show.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  03:59:24  Reply with Quote
Boston has the better goalie THIS year and I believe a better defence. Vancouvers first line is better than Bostons, but Bostons other lines are better than Vancouvers. I was at the only game Boston played here in Vancouver and I thought Boston clearly was the better team in a 3 -1 game. If that game was any indication Lucic should really explode in this series.

My prediction Boston in five
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  09:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it will be a grinding series with too equally balanced teams going at it. The goalies are both candidates for the the leagues top stopper and could be decided here. They've both stolen games this year throughout the playoffs. I'll stay with my pre-playoff prediction that Boston wins it.

However the Canucks have shown me that they are a very good team so in 7 games.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  09:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every single team I have cheered for has lost. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly, Tampa, and SJ.

GO VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  09:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Every single team I have cheered for has lost. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly, Tampa, and SJ.

GO VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!

You forgot Nashville
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  10:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West over East, Vancouver in 5
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  10:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see the stanely cup be lifted in a home
barn. I always hate when the emotion level is so high on the ice, but it's so quiet in the stands. So I'd like to see Vancouver win in 5, but I have a feeling they are goin to win in 6
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  10:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was at the only game Boston played here in Vancouver and I thought Boston clearly was the better team in a 3 -1 game. If that game was any indication Lucic should really explode in this series.

That game (on Feb 26) featured a Canucks team playing without Bieksa and Edler on defense (it was right at the beginning of our dman injury woes), so BOS will see a better defense this time around.

I think the two teams stack up against each other well - 3 solid lines each capable of scoring, good defenses, and great goalies. Both have a stellar defensive centre (Kesler vs Bergeron) capable of shutting down other offensive units, both have first lines that have been dominant in the playoffs so far. Its gonna be a very good series I think.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  16:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

I was at the only game Boston played here in Vancouver and I thought Boston clearly was the better team in a 3 -1 game. If that game was any indication Lucic should really explode in this series.

That game (on Feb 26) featured a Canucks team playing without Bieksa and Edler on defense (it was right at the beginning of our dman injury woes), so BOS will see a better defense this time around.

I didn't catch the whole game, but i seem to recall a pretty even game overall. Looking back, Boston didn't take the lead till under 5 mins left, then added an empty netter to make the score look a slight bit more one sided than it was. Here's a few numbers from the boxscore:
Shots: Canucks 28-25
Faceoffs Won: Canucks 31-24
Hits: Canucks 32-22

If in fact Boston was the better team on the night, it couldn't have been by much judging by these numbers? I seem to recall a close game with neither team being "clearly better".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  19:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

GO VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!

You forgot Nashville

No I didn't. I never cheered for Nashville. I called Vancouver in that series, but I was hoping for Detroit to beat SJ and Detroit to then grossly and significantly beat Vancouver because of far superior coaching. (It's just an opinion).

Quick story, I am leaving the driving range today and decided to cruise around downtown Edmonton on a beautiful spring evening. I live about 4 blocks from the Alberta Legislative building in Edmonton and they have been doing some construction on the buildings about a block away from the Leg grounds for about a year so there are some tall (about 100') cranes erected there. I am stopped at a red light and I look over at the the cranes and glance to the top. What's up there??? A massive Vancouver Canucks flag waving proudly with the image of the Alberta Leg building in the background.

I'm moving.............maybe to Calgary or maybe to Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  21:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am stopped at a red light and I look over at the the cranes and glance to the top. What's up there??? A massive Vancouver Canucks flag waving proudly with the image of the Alberta Leg building in the background.

Ha! I love it.

Was driving home today from UBC, there are of course Canucks flags everywhere... however, I was surprised to see a bunch of firetrucks heading to a fire, all of them with 4x8 flags attached to the backs of the trucks, fluttering away as they cruised through my red light...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2011 :  00:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No I didn't. I never cheered for Nashville. I called Vancouver in that series, but I was hoping for Detroit to beat SJ and Detroit to then grossly and significantly beat Vancouver because of far superior coaching. (It's just an opinion).

I'm moving.............maybe to Calgary or maybe to Toronto.

I must have mistook what you were saying Beans. I didn't know it was teams you'd "picked" but thought it was teams you were actually rooting for, and i assumed Nashville had to be one of them.

As for moving, how about Vancouver?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2846
( )

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  04:00:34  Reply with Quote
GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  04:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can throw out that regular season match-up. Doesn't mean diddly-squat at this point.

I voted Canucks in 5.

Their defence is too good for Boston. Their goaltending has been excellent since game 7 of the first round. Their offence is the league's best, I'd say, and they are rolling, and it's not just one line you'd have to shut down.

Thomas playing one good game, one not so good has been enough to get them through at this point . . . but I think the non-existant power play, and the at times softish defence will be exposed mightily. And I think the forwards will just not find many opportunities to score . . .

I just can't see Boston winning much more than two games, I say it might just be one.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest0409
( )

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  18:18:31  Reply with Quote
I am cheering for the team with the most Canadians: Boston.

The Bruins have 14 Canadians on the current game roster of 20.
The Canucks have only 11 Canadians on the current game roster of 20.

Therefore, if Boston wins the cup, it will spend more time in Canada on tour during the off season!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9286
( )

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  03:12:45  Reply with Quote
Plus there are more Boston fans in Canada (everywhere except BC) than there are Cunuck fans so in a way Boston is Canadas team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0848
( )

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  15:52:54  Reply with Quote
Bruins in 6 games. I cant see the Canucks winning with team Euro!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6816
( )

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  19:46:16  Reply with Quote
WHAT!

There are WAY! more nucks fans in Canada than there is for Boston

This Guy is a canucks fan!

Nucks in 4
Go to Top of Page

Guest2831
( )

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  06:19:56  Reply with Quote
I voted Canucks in game 6.

They might not win in game 5 or four, but they are a wicked team.

And plus- do you REALLY think BOSTON will win?

Boston is okay. I like Marchand and Chara. The're good.

Not as good as Henrik and Daniel of course!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  10:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I'm looking forward to game 3, mostly to see what new and wonderful way the Canucks can manage to win a game. 3 straight games now won in the most improbable of ways, what next?

What a great day it was. I was fortunate to be at last nights game, and it was worth it. A very emotional return for Manny, the fans chanted his name every time he stepped on the ice, and he was great making that 4th line respectable, and winning faceoffs. A back and forth game between two great teams that was exciting the whole night, and to finish like - with Burrows fighting off both Thomas and Chara of all people - I thought the stadium would literally melt down with excitement. Then leaving the stadium only to march all the way up Georgia (pretty much shutting it down) to Granville, to Robson - all of them full to the brim with fans flooding the downtown. Magic.

I don't think that a sweep will happen in this series - the Canucks have won 2 games that could have easily gone the other way, BOS are the best team that we've faced so far and are capable of winning games against us, and they're good in their own barn. I do think the Canucks are capable of taking one in BOS though, which would set up a possible game 5 victory next Friday.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  05:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan - as a Nucks fan, it surely must have been magical after that exciting game. Was fantastic to watch on the tv, can't imagine the atmosphere in the rink and outside it.

I think you should really put a lien on your car and go for those game 5 tickets, dude. These moments sometimes come only once in a lifetime, so appreciate it. I agree with you, I think it'll be a split in Boston myself, the Bruins have shown they are very resilient and won't go down without a fight, for sure.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest5649
( )

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  06:27:15  Reply with Quote
If Vancouver wins one of the two games in Boston, this thing is over......I know about the "If" but if Vancouver can stay close in one of the games and it goes into OT I think it is very possible.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  07:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think you should really put a lien on your car and go for those game 5 tickets, dude

Sadly, thats probably what it would take. Any game where the Canucks have a chance to win the cup, I can see tickets going for near 5-figures. But honestly, you don't need it. Vancouver learned a lot from the Olympics, and one thing they learned was how to setup a great outdoor viewing area. The Granville/Robson and Hamilton/Georgia area (the latter right outside the stadium) have both been completely closed off, filled with very big screens, chairs, and standing room. I think the news said 30,000 on Granville alone, and you can see the screen from 4 blocks back.

For tonight, they're closing all of Georgia street at 2pm (for those not familiar with Georgia, it is our main artery out of the downtown core - so closing down on a Monday afternoon before rush hour is pretty significant) due to the Saturday night fiasco, as well as the open viewing areas - and its an AWAY GAME! They're expecting another 80-100K people into the core again.

You're right slozo - we're definitely enjoying it now because you never know if/when it will happen again.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  07:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is a great time when your teem is in the final Van city has done itself proud by getting behind their team. I agree this has been two great teams going toe to toe as a fan of neither but a hockey fan I hope it goes 7 so we can enjoy the full value!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  09:53:13  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by nuxfan

[quote]
Vancouver learned a lot from the Olympics, and one thing they learned was how to setup a great outdoor viewing area.

It's too bad the games are on so early in Vancouver (5 p.m. local time), but it's hard to argue with the NHL scheduling all of the Stanley Cup final games at 8 p.m. Eastern time.

What's it like watching the games outdoors during daylight? I've been to Times Square in New York during the day, and the big screens are quite visible, but I'm not so sure how a hockey game would look on a big screen toward the end of the day?

When Nuxfan commented that "you can see the big screen from 4 blocks back," is this so during the daytime? (Or late in the day, between 5 - 8 p.m.)

Assuming there's a game five (and there's a split of the two games played in Boston), I'm curious how much someone would pay for a pair of tickets in Vancouver? And how much would someone (with tickets) take for a pair of tickets? I suppose it depends on the seats, but I'm guessing a pair of nosebleed tickets would go for at least $2k a pair, and for prime seats, someone might pay $5k - $8k a pair. But would someone pay $10k (or more) for a pair of tickets?

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  10:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest4178 - the screens are pretty good in the daylight actually, they're very bright even in indirect sunlight. Granted, they are setup in locations that are shady in the evenings (the Granville section is between two hi-rises, the CBC building one is in a shady alcove), and the people that set them up know what they're doing in regards to lighting, but for the most part they can be setup anywhere. It is similar to the Times Square screen. The screen is so huge that its visible for a good few blocks, but its obviously pretty small when you're that far back.

I have not watched a game outdoors yet, nor do I plan to - I'm too old to stand up for 3 hours and watch hockey, I'd rather be at the game or in a pub . The other problem is they're first come first serve, apparently all the decent spots were taken by 1pm on Saturday, so you need to be there 4 hours before gametime.

One can only imagine what the cost would be for tickets. For game 2, tickets were going for 700 minimum, and up to 2K per ticket for lower bowl. I saw some tickets advertised for game 7 for 8,000 each - yes, thats right, 16K for the pair. I think if Vancouver has a chance to win the cup, nosebleeds could go for 2K a pop, and lower bowl for 5-8K each (at a peak). We'll see, I'm sure there will be news about it.

I have half season tix, was at game 2 and I have tickets to game 7 should it go that long. I asked my wife what our "price" should be (the price we'd be willing to sell them), and we came to an agreement at 2,000. If someone was willing to buy my tickets for 2,000 each, I'd have sold them. 4K buys a lot of beer for us and our friends at a pub .

If it goes to game 7, I don't know - a chance to see the cup presented, even in a losing cause, is something special. I was at the cup-winning game in Calgary in 1986, when they lost to Montreal in 5 games. Even though we lost (I was a Flames fan back then), it was great to see them all parading around with the cup.

Edited by - nuxfan on 06/06/2011 10:13:54
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  10:38:21  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback Nuxfan!

Maybe I should buy your game 7 tickets (assuming there's a game seven), and turn around and sell them for a profit? Just kidding – I don't like brokering tickets, even if there's a tidy profit to be made.

The last time I did so was in 1988 when game four went back to Edmonton (the lights went out in Boston for game four there), and I bought the maximum number of tickets (6), and kept three tickets for me and two buddies, and one of the buddies sold the remaining three tickets. We ended up getting more than double face value for the extra three tickets, so we caught the Stanley Cup winning game for free! (And the Oilers 4th cup win in 5 years.) I was just a kid then, so selling the extra tickets was no big deal.

Funny story, we made a huge sign (actually three signs spelling out Dynasty), and I forgot my piece of the sign after the game, which was the "Dy" part. We went downtown after the cup winning game, and my two buddies were holding up their remaining two pieces of the sign, which spelled out "Nasty," and chanting this at the same time. Nobody really got it, but at our young ages, we thought this was pretty funny.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  20:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zoinks! Certainly not the way I saw game 3 going down, what a meltdown. Series on!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0409
( )

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  21:26:52  Reply with Quote
Bruins 8 - Canucks 1!

Where was the Canuck defence tonight and what happened to the stellar goaltending?

Ha, Ha, Ha.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6260
( )

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  21:48:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0409

Bruins 8 - Canucks 1!

Where was the Canuck defence tonight and what happened to the stellar goaltending?

Ha, Ha, Ha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its 1 game I dont care if they lose 2-1, 8-1 or 100-1 the nucks are still up 2 games to 1 and they'll bounce back next game
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  22:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

well, the Canucks defense was down by 1 for nearly the whole game, which is really where things started to fall apart. Once the game was 4-0, the Canucks really didn't try to do much but break the shutout and hit everything Bruin. Not much support for Luongo on those last 4 goals, thats for sure.

Ah well, we'll see what happens in game 4

Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  18:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston in 6 is my prediction, but I admit it's a prediction based entirely off of hating Vancouver's style of play.

When people talk about the NHL they talk about the teams that battled hard, not the teams that play more of a 'soft' style of game (trapping, drawing powerplays) and I especially don't want to see a league of teams playing like Vancouver.

Here's a good photo from the finals so far:
http://www.topcaptions.com/?photoid=4

and for the first time in my life i must say go boston! (unbelievable that 2 years ago i cheered for vancouver and tried to get to a playoff game)
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  22:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice
When people talk about the NHL they talk about the teams that battled hard, not the teams that play more of a 'soft' style of game (trapping, drawing powerplays) and I especially don't want to see a league of teams playing like Vancouver.

Uhhhh, tell me, do you have any idea of what "trapping" teams do or how they play? Ah, nevermind, i already know the answer.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, game 4 was not much better than game 3!

What a difference a few days make - when VAN left town on Sunday it was all about how they could do no wrong, and seemed able to win all the little battles as they found great ways to win games. 2 dominations later, we're all tied up and BOS has all the momentum. CBC was even commenting that AV might consider start the Schneids in game 6 back in BOS, Luongo has played so badly there... ouch. This series is feeling very much like the CHI series.

Perhaps this will end up being the series of home wins... I picked VAN in 7, so all home wins would do it for me. No overstating how important game 5 is for both teams, I'm both looking forward to and dreading Friday.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  00:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm dreading it more that i am looking forward to it! Sure, the first two games were wins, but scoring with 19 seconds left and 11 seconds into OT, i began believing in the "fate" and that it was finally our time! Truth is, Boston could be up 3-1 or maybe even have swept us at this point!

Keeping the faith, assuming we will get some bounces eventually but going into Friday s***tin' bricks!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  06:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find this series eeriely similar to the CHI series. The only difference is that BOS got it together one game quicker than CHI did. In both series, Vancouver came ahead with a lead in the series but did not dominate any games. The first 2 games of this series came down to 2 mistakes. Nothing more.

What is even more surprising is that BOS is doing to VAN what VAN did to SJ and that is they are getting them off their game by playing more physical and pushing the boundries of legal. This was VAN's issue in the past as well. They need to stay disciplined and not fall into the fingers in the face crap or they are in big trouble.

3 game series for the Cup. No clear cut favorite anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  07:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruins have shifted the momentum in their favour It's been a great series but I expect Vancouver will have to forget what happened in Boston and embrace the fact hey have home ice advantage in a best of 3 for the cup. Boston is a punishing team to play so Vancouver needs to step up and give some back to be successful.

Bring on Friday SB great!!!
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  12:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Game 5 may be a must-win for Vancouver if you think about how well Boston (and Thomas) have played at home recently.

And Alex, of course I know what the trap is, I've already admitted watching games 1 & 2 of the finals. If you are fine with every game being played like that then i won't criticize that, I just personally don't want every game to be low scoring. Home team usually sets the tempo, look at games 1&2 vs 3&4.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page