Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Biggest Name Traded by Feb 27th? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  05:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who will be the biggest name traded by the time the deadline has passed on February 27th, 2012?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Bobby Ryan
Jeff Carter
Eric Staal
Mikhail Grabovski
Rick Nash
Ales Hemsky
Cory Schneider
Roberto Luongo
no big names traded
other player
Ryan Suter
James Van Riemsdyk

Edited by - n/a on 02/07/2012 06:20:53

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  05:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Leafs fan I just hope Mikhail Grabovski is NOT a name ever mentioned in a trade. I have been a fan of this guy ever since they got him. Even though some fans have expected more out of him. Now he is really coming into form on this Toronto team, I think he could be a top player there for a while, provided they let him.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

As a Leafs fan I just hope Mikhail Grabovski is NOT a name ever mentioned in a trade. I have been a fan of this guy ever since they got him. Even though some fans have expected more out of him. Now he is really coming into form on this Toronto team, I think he could be a top player there for a while, provided they let him.

Easy there shepsky we get the point no need to post three times ROFL honestly though yeah grabo has been productive for the leafs but i think he is too much of a puck hog. he tries to do to much and then it gets turned over because he doesn't pass the puck. it wouldn't bug me at all if he got traded.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:50:24  Reply with Quote
columbus will take much less for carter than they gave up for him. they are a poorly run team that keeps making horrible mistakes. i'm going to make a book on what not to do as a franchise and base it on that team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4830
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:13:58  Reply with Quote
how come samuel phalson or james van riensdiek is not there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:27:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4830

how come samuel phalson or james van riensdiek is not there.

good point on jvr... no one cares about about S.P
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Jeff Carter. It's no secret that CBJ are going to trade him by the deadline. I think you'll see Alex Hemseky moved as well, but I consider Carter the "bigger name". As for the rest of the guys on the list, it'd be nice to see a player or two of that quality move, but I'm not counting on it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's in CBJ's best interest to trade either Nash or Carter as i don't think either player has the market value to make a positive impact to CBJ. I would think building around those two players would be better than moving one or both of them. The only thing I could see is moving Carter to ensure they are not carrying that contract. However, with the exception of Parise there are few if any solid UFA's this off-season that would be an upgrade on Carter. I think The CBJ stars stay put.

I also don't think Anaheim will be sellers. They are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games and have won 10 if their 17 games since Christmas. I don't think moving any of their big names would be a wise decision. All are under contract and all reasonable contracts. None of Ryan, Getzlaf, or Perry will move. They might write off this season to a really poor start and stock up for next season. Selanne is rumored to move to San Jose for a Cup run but that is only if he wants to. With Blake, Koivu, and Selanne all UFA's next season and potential retirees, the need for the Ducks in future secondary scoring. Outside of that, they have a nice squad who significantly under performed for 25ish games.

NJ has already said they want to work on re-signing Parise and if they can't find a way to make that happen they trade his negotiating rights at the draft or before July 1st. Parise is not going anywhere either.

Hemsky is all but gone from Edmonton. Hemsky's agent has proposed an offer to the Oilers to which they have not responded at all. He has stated he wants to re-sign with Edmonton however with the Kids clicking and Gagner showing a recent spark I would suggest Hemsky is going, going, gone.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5744
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:29:39  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't think it's in CBJ's best interest to trade either Nash or Carter as i don't think either player has the market value to make a positive impact to CBJ. I would think building around those two players would be better than moving one or both of them.

i agree completely. they wont be getting anywhere near what they gave up for carter. they need to bring out the wooden spoon give him a good spanking and get his act together.

just curious why wisniewski's name has not been mentioned in any trade rumours?? if they are willing to trade nash and carter why not the wiz? simply because he is injured? he should be back soon tho...
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver media is increasingly speculating that neither Luongo or Schneider will move before the deadline, and I'm starting to agree. Luongo would be a huge longshot to move at all, and while Schneider is the likely man out before next season, his trade value does not drop if they wait until the summer to do it. Meanwhile, he provides a very good backup plan should Luongo go sideways or south in the playoffs this year, he has shown recently that he's able to play the big games and perform. I think they'll elect to keep them both thru this season.

All bets are off if the whale offer comes along.

I picked Carter - I think its almost certain that he'll be moved as well.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Bobby Ryan because I think the Ducks will need some good secondary scoring next season, and if the offer is good and high (combination of draft picks, prospects and a top six forward)

Once Selanne, Koivu and Blake are gone this is gonna leave a big void and they will need to spread the talent. They might keep Ryan and build around the whole first line but I think they can / should build around Perry, Getzlaf and Fowler (maybe Hiller) and get some depth around them.

I agree for Columbus, they should hang on to Carter and Nash. Dont give up on Carter just yet he's having a horrible season with injuries and tough time to adapt. Next season should be better. Anyway like somebody said they will never have back what they gave him for so hold on, get his value back higher and then trade him IF you have to.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  12:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Jeff Carter. I was watching NHL Live last week and someone from the Blue Jackets organization was on, can't remember who it was (tv play-by-play guy perhaps??). He came right out & said that the Jackets will trade Carter by the deadline. When asked if they were disappointed in his on ice performance, or if it was the contract that they wanted to rid themselves of...he said it was the player himself they just want gone!
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  12:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

On the topic of Jeff Carter. I was watching NHL Live last week and someone from the Blue Jackets organization was on, can't remember who it was (tv play-by-play guy perhaps??). He came right out & said that the Jackets will trade Carter by the deadline. When asked if they were disappointed in his on ice performance, or if it was the contract that they wanted to rid themselves of...he said it was the player himself they just want gone!

Nothing like triing to motivate him.......
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  13:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ryan, I am not trying to call you a liar, but I have never seen or heard anyone from any organization make comment such as this while the player was still playing for the team. It has happened where a team rep slagged a player while that players was suspended or holding out (a la Lindros or Yashin) but Carter is still playing for the team and was activated today.

Another thing is as a GM or rep from the team, why tip your hand?? If they are looking for the most value possible for the player than why would they publically say they wanted to dump him??? Dumb move.

Not only that, if it was a rep from CBJ that made comments like that it would likely be the hotest topic on every sports website, blog, and TV report in Canada. A google search of Jeff Carter has not a mention of any quoted comments from any one from CBJ.

I am not saying that Carter will not be traded nor am I saying that CBJ doesn't think what you have said. However, I think it was likely a 'source close to the team' making these statements or that meatball on sportsnet who was once the GM for Columbus. It would eat my own shoe if there was a legitimate story quotes an actual member of the CBJ management team making these statements. Find the story and I will post pictures of me eating my shoe.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  14:25:33  Reply with Quote
How about the Oilers trade Horcoff, I can't see where he fits in or what he even brings to the table anymore. Not that he isn't a solid all-around player and the Captain but I just don't see him anywhere with the team and chances are they will be moving the "C" to someone with more potential (Hall, Eb's, Nuge or even Smyth or Gagner i think would be a better fit). I think if they can get rid of Horcoff and Hemsky they can get something pretty beneficial to the team.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  14:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious so I started searching for an article/video clip. I couldn't find a video clip of it, but here's an article which mentions it. http://tenminutemisconduct.com/?p=1394

Today, Aaron Portzline appeared on NHL Live and stated unequivocally that Jeff Carter will be traded before the trade deadline. He didn’t say that Carter might be traded, or that the CBJ would try to trade him — it was conveyed as a certainty. If that is true (and the guy’s full-time job is covering the Blue Jackets, so how could it be wrong?), then the parameters of a deal must already be in place. Shortly after Portzline’s appearance, NHL Home Ice stirred the pot a bit by reporting that Calgary and Los Angeles were “very interested” in Carter.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/06/2012 14:27:41
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  14:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So does that mean that Carter is 100% definitely on the move? Of course not. I just had to prove I didn't make that stuff up
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  15:24:43  Reply with Quote
I would add another name to the list – Ryan Suter. If he doesn't sign by the trade deadline, I think they will need to trade him. (He's a UFA at the end of the season.)

And what about Dennis Wideman? He's not a big name player, but he's having a very good season with Washington (35 points in 52 games, and big minutes on defense), and he's also a UFA at the end of the season.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  17:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

I would add another name to the list – Ryan Suter. If he doesn't sign by the trade deadline, I think they will need to trade him. (He's a UFA at the end of the season.)

And what about Dennis Wideman? He's not a big name player, but he's having a very good season with Washington (35 points in 52 games, and big minutes on defense), and he's also a UFA at the end of the season.

For teams that are likely going to make the post-season, trading away big names is a riskier proposition. You want to get max value for players, but you also realize that these players are key to your potential success in the postseason - Suter or Weber definitely falls into this category. I don't see NSH moving Suter for anything other than a ridiculously good package before the deadline - its not clear that NSH won't resign him this summer, his rights are still valuable before July 1, and he might actually help the team get somewhere this spring.

Schneider, Parise, Grabo all fall into this category. I would not be surprised to see none of them move by the deadline.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So does that mean that Carter is 100% definitely on the move? Of course not. I just had to prove I didn't make that stuff up

I never said was a made up story. I said it was highly unlikely that a member of the blue jackets organization would make such statements. This Aaron Portzline guy is a writer for the Columbus Dispatch which appears to be to top newspaper in CBJ.

This is not Columbus making the statements.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  19:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I know you didn't...just wanted to find the source to clear things up. And yes, you were right that it wasn't someone from the Columbus organization, I was wrong on that part. I actually already said that in my previous post, but I edited it after posting & just noticed I must of deleted that part haha.

They were talking Blue Jackets which I had no interest in so wasn't really paying attention, but the statements he made regarding Jeff Carter caught my attention.

Enough Carter...no doubt there'd be plenty of teams interested in Ryan Suter. I just don't see Nashville moving him though, not now at least. They are currently 4th in the West & have a legitimate shot at finishing 1st. If it becomes clear that Suter won't be resigning in Nashville, then chances are you'll see his rights dealt at the draft.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/06/2012 19:54:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  06:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added JVR and Ryan Suter, who I wanted to add initially but forgot.

Myself, I think there will be a bigger name than JVR, and the fact that I ask for the biggest name is the reason why I don't include lesser players that are almost guaranteed to move on from their teams.

Personally, I think there is a very good chance it's a player not discussed in any significant trade rumours at all . . . an off the board pick. That being said, I voted Jeff Carter - I think he's a lock to move, and it's just a matter of whether a bigger name than him moves.

Go to Top of Page

Guest1451
( )

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  00:32:31  Reply with Quote
personally I think the Devils are in big trouble. They are most likely going to the playoffs where they will need Parise but if they don't trade him they will get nothing. I believe I heard that he did not want to resign before the off-season so i really don't know what I would do with him. Keep him and hope to go deep so he will want to resign I guess but it's dicey. Same situation with Suter.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  09:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1451

personally I think the Devils are in big trouble. They are most likely going to the playoffs where they will need Parise but if they don't trade him they will get nothing. I believe I heard that he did not want to resign before the off-season so i really don't know what I would do with him. Keep him and hope to go deep so he will want to resign I guess but it's dicey. Same situation with Suter.

I agree that this Parise situation could totally become a very dicy situation. I have also heard rumours that he won't re-sign.

If that is the case (and obviously NJ would know), they might wait until the very last second to deal him, and try to maximise the return for him before the playoffs. Could totally see that happening for some odd reason.

And who would want Parise? Everybody, get in line!

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  09:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see the Devils moving Parise at the deadline. They are playing really well right now, and have moved up to the 5th place in the East (only 6 points behind the Rangers, so they have still have a shot at winning the division). They have played virtually all season so far without their #1 center too in Travis Zajac.
If it becomes clear that he's not going to sign in NJ, then I'm sure they'll atempt to trade his rights before July 1st. Sure, they wouldn't get as much as if they were to trade him right now, but I just think he's far to valuable to the team to let go during the Devils playoff current playoff drive.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1451
( )

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  00:27:57  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Ryan. How about Parise for B. Richards straight up? I know the Rangers just got Richards but he hasn't really done much and I also know they are one of Parise's top suitors. Would be weird to swap top liners right before the playoffs but could work well for both teams. I guess it's all just speculation until we are up against the deadline and know about where everyone will finish. Also don't know the details of Richards' contract.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2260
( )

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  07:22:04  Reply with Quote
I would have to areee with most of the comments so far.
Columbus has had a horrible year and Carter has not performed as expected but he has also spent much of the year injured. I beleive Columbus would be embarrased to trade him away they will clearly be rebuilding and they need to rebuild around someone Nash and Carter would be god choices.
NJ is in a playoff race and will want to keep Parise if they make the playoffs most definately. The only way I see them trading Parise is if they can get a top notch defenceman in return like Weber or maybe Karlsson in Ottawa but I can't see that happening.
Toronto has already mentioned thier interest in a big power forward but since there doesn't appear to be any being shopped around I doubt Grabovski goes anyware. Toronto is in a better position to trade a Defenceman.
Anaheim has started winning games and history tells us the second half should be a good one for Anaheim but lets face it it's doubtful they can make the playoffs and even with the slow start Perry Getzlaf and Ryan is still about the best line in hockey and the future of that team.
Why Is Staal on this list? what benefit would Carolina have in tradeing him? Staal, SKinner and Ward are the only players who I am certain will stay in Carolina.
Hemsky I think is the best bet to go. as another poster mentioned Edmonton is rebuilding thier young talent is showing promise they will rebuild around them. Vetran leaders are easy to find in the off season there will be plently of Hemsky like players available as UFA and I am sure there are a few teams that would be interested in adding Hemsky to bolster a playoff push.
Luongo and Schneider are interesting both are valuable for trading but I am not sure Vancouver needs anything bad enough to trade either of them especially after last years playoffs when Luongo had some bad games they might want a solid backup option
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page