Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 SJ vs. DET Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  20:54:33  Show Profile
Poll Question:
Now that the 1st round is over, all the matchups have been decided. San Jose is playing Detriot in round 2. Who is winning this series? I think this is going to game 7 forsure. In the end I think Detriot is going to take it. What about you guys?

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~

Choices:

Detriot
San jose

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:00:10  Show Profile
I think San Jose has much more depth and is a more physical team them Detroit. I call it SJ in 6

Losers always whine about doing their best, Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen - Sean Connery (The Rock)
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:25:41  Show Profile
San Jose in 5. Detroit is too undisciplined and SJ ABSOLUTELY OWNS Detroit on the PP. This will be quick but Anaheim and Vancouver will have to battle it out hardcore so SJ will be nice and rested for the third round .

One thing is for sure though, this will be an amazingly exciting brand of hockey to watch, probably the best second-round series.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/23/2007 21:27:19
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:31:54  Show Profile
I think the Detroit Red Wings can pull it off in Game 7 because they are back to there Stanley Cup playoff forum they were in in 2002

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:33:54  Show Profile
Detriot to undisciplined??? Now i hate Detriot but they are a pretty disciplene team if you ask me

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  21:42:37  Show Profile
Not against SJ they aren't. In four games this year SJ was 13/31 on the PP against the Wings. That's just PP's, Detroit also took a few more penalties that didn't result in SJ PP's (fights, off-setting minors, etc.). 31 times shorthanded in 4 games (almost 8/game) is pretty undisciplined hockey to me.

13/31 = a 42% PP. See what I mean? Last time they played each other, SJ was 6/9 on the PP (WHAT???) and won 9-4 (Hasek was in for the first 8 goals). SJ was 3-1 in the season series and the only loss was 2-1.

If that isn't domination...

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/23/2007 21:43:51
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  22:24:35  Show Profile
This should be a close hard-fought battle...
However I dont agree with you Babs, Detroit has been the most dicipline team in the playoffs. That point precisely was pointed out as a huge benefit for them in the Calgary series.

Close matchup - should be a good one.
Go to Top of Page

kanadian7
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  22:33:06  Show Profile
I voted for Detroit, and the reason is discipline. Detroit is simply tough to handle 5 on 5. With all do respect, I agree Detroit took a few too many penalties against SJ in the regular season, but playoff hockey is different hockey. Detroit knows how to take abuse and just skate away. I am not a Detroit fan, and would prefer to see SJ through to the conference finals, but I just don't think they have it in them. I say Detroit in 6.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:04:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

This should be a close hard-fought battle...
However I dont agree with you Babs, Detroit has been the most dicipline team in the playoffs. That point precisely was pointed out as a huge benefit for them in the Calgary series.

Detroit was shorthanded 34 times in the first round, 3rd most behind Calgary and Vancouver. SJ was shorthanded only 22 times, 4th least. Detroit only played one more game than SJ... I fail to see how you think Detroit is a disciplined team... Calgary is not the standard to measure against...

And by the way Kanadian, SJ has the most goals 5-on-5 so far in the playoffs (14), compared to 11 for Detroit who played one game more. Again, I don't see how your point holds up... Granted Detroit did allow much fewer 5-on-5 goals, but we're comparing playing against Calgary and playing against Nashville, which is apples to lightbulbs (oranges are boring).

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/23/2007 23:08:34
Go to Top of Page

kanadian7
Top Prospect

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:21:42  Show Profile
babs I've been watching playoff hockey for years. One conclusion I have come to is that you prepare for teams differently in the playoffs than you do in the regular season. This warrants different results in the wins and losses columns than you see in the regular season. I would like to point out the Toronto/Ottawa rivalry that arises each year.

I.e. Ottawa manages to win 7 of 8 a few years back in the regular season. 5 games later Toronto had sent the Sens to the golf course. The same thing had happened the year before as well as 2 years before that. I agree with you that there are stats from the regular season that suggest SJ might have the advantage on regular season paper, but I have to say, Detroit just has all the matchups they want. The defence SJ possesses I just don't think will be strong enough. They are going to need to get 3 pp goals per game to succeed.

Having said that, we are both just going on hunches. Yours that The playoffs will follow the regular season pattern, and mine that Detroit will show up and show SJ why they were 1 point away from the presidents trophy. We'll meet back here after what could very well be the most entertaining series in round 2 is over and reconvene at that point.

Quote me as saying go San Jose. The Canucks would prefer the easier matchup ;) (he says playfully)

Edited by - kanadian7 on 04/23/2007 23:22:24
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:34:53  Show Profile
Unless something miraculous happens and Thornton starts playing like he does in the regular season, then I don't see San Jose competing. Detroit looked awesome against the Flames, outshooting them 2-1.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  03:39:32  Show Profile
Detroit in 5. They have MUCH better offence, defence and I hate to say it, better goaltending. San Jose will probably win a game but nothing more.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  05:41:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Unless something miraculous happens and Thornton starts playing like he does in the regular season, then I don't see San Jose competing. Detroit looked awesome against the Flames, outshooting them 2-1.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz

What are you talking about Thornton is tied for second in assists so far in the playoffs only playing five games so far that sounds pretty much like Big Joe from the regular season. You are also forgetting about the rest of the team . SJ has more then just Thornton to beat you with any given night. I really don't think anyone here besides babs is giving them any credit. Furthermore, DET was barely able to hold off the number 8 seed in the west, SJ dominated the #3 team in the NHL.

Losers always whine about doing their best, Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen - Sean Connery (The Rock)
Go to Top of Page

tds1
Top Prospect

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:20:37  Show Profile
ARE YOU KIDDING ME sjtrufan:

Detroit more than readily handled the Flames, unlike your comment about barely holding them off. They outshot them by a margin of 2 to 1(255 to 129) for the series. What saved the Flames was a good goalie, and SJ doesn't have a Kipper. The only worries Det will have is whether SJ comes out and plays dirty and if Det will play disciplined. And most importantly...the playoffs are nothing like the regular season games...this is a whole new season and Thortons legue leading assists in 5 games isnt anything compared to 8 point in 4 (Nylander...) It will be a tight matchup thoughbut i see Det pulling it off in 6 maybe 7

NY Rangers in "07"
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  07:00:12  Show Profile
You're right they don't have a Kipper they have a great tamdum in Nabokov and Toskala. As for DET dominating the Flames by outshooting them 2 to 1 thats great, they outshot them everygame and still lost two games. SJ won everygame they were outshot in. By the way thats a great point you bring up comparing Thornton to Nylander considering the fact that Nylander has no bearing on this series what so ever.

Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  07:04:32  Show Profile
One more question how many players on DET have more goals then Michalek or Marleau?

Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  07:24:15  Show Profile
I think SJ doesn't have a Kipper. They have two of him.

Detroit is going to get rolled. SJ is way faster than Calgary, and the fire in their belly is burning a lot hotter.

Detroit doesn't have the forward depth they used to. Bertuzzi for nothing has the potential to be a great deal, but i don't think he'll be enough. SJ is a big team, and i think they will play a lot bigger than the Flames did.

Gimme Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau, Michalek, Guerin over Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Lang and Bertuzzi any day.

Cheechoo had a "bad" year... and he still had 37 goals. Same for Thornton, he ONLY had 114 points. So who was supposed to be compared to those guys? Not only is San Jose's top point getter 27 points ahead of Datsyuk, but the top five goal getters in SJ crush Detroit, 153 to 129, with the remainder of the scoring lines getting out done by a 72 to 64 tally.

Of course SJ doesn't have anyone on D that compares to Lidstrom, but the Dead Things have a fairly ancient defence core, and that will wear on them. Detroit's playing Chelios, 45, a regular shift, and they also have Schneider at 37 and Lidstrom, 36. Their other three dmen aren't youngsters, at 32, 30 and 25. Not by any means saying age is everything, but i don't think SJ's D corps is shabby, and they are way younger. That means a lot more energy, they heal faster, and in a rough game you can expect them to be moving at full speed in game 6 (Just for reference: Carle 22, Hannon 29, Rivet 32, Vlasic 20, Ehrhoff 24 and McLaren 29).

The only upside Detroit has over San Jose is Lidstrom. SJ has both mopre and better depth at forward, a comparable and younger group of Dmen and I'd take either Nabakov or Toskala at even money against Hasek this year.

* edit for spelling.

Edited by - BigShow on 04/24/2007 08:26:17
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  08:00:03  Show Profile
I'm pulling for the Sharks on this one. Yes, Hasek was playing pretty good against Calgary, but Nabokov has a ay hotter hand right now. He was amazing against Nashville and will continue to be against Detroit. Marleau woke up in the last couple of games, and Thornton likes to feed Michalek now as well. In my opinion, Datsyuk and the gang weren't playing as well as should be expected, and if it weren't for the Franzen's or Schieder's on the team, they would have also went to a game 7 and possibly been ousted in the first round again.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

stactum
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:23:12  Show Profile
I do have respect for SJS and all their offense, but they'll be too busy playing defense in this series.
Nabby is great no question about that, but allowing 13 goals from 133 shots is NOT ANYWHERE NERAR KIPPER! :)
Hasek allowed 10 goals and faced 129 shots.

Don’t forget, you are going to play at JLA and that is deadly. Good luck Sharks.

Detroit in 6.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:43:36  Show Profile
This series is a crap shoot. I think it's going to be very entertaining. But if I were to bet on it I would bet against SJ. Don't underestimate what defense can do for a team. Lidstrom is fantastic and Chelios is still playing at a very high level. He may show signs of tiring later in the series but he's still smarter(more experienced) than 95% of the players coming at him. I'd love to see him win a cup at 45 years of age too. That would be great. Schneider is an experienced veteran too. And then there's the flip flop in net. I see this d-core giving SJ fits.
I give SJ the edge in offense but not overwhelmingly so. Should be fun!

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:48:20  Show Profile
I watched almost every game from each of the SJ vs. Nas series and the Det-Cal series. Here is what I think:

1) I think anyone that says this will be a quick series or one sided is off their respective rocker.

2) Of course Calgary got smashed. They were the 8th seed coming in and on a losing streak. They had a descent offense all season that didn't show up in the play-offs. They were a struggling team into the play-offs and Detroit learned their lesson against the Oilers last year. So, as impressive as Detroit looked against Calgary, the Opponent wasn't much of a match. Without Kipper in net, this would have been a 4 straight series.

3) San Jose had a much tougher opponent against Nashville and had control in pretty much every game. They had to get over a very physical and cheap Nashville team. SJ did show a lot of discipline against that team when others would not. However, Detroit showed a lot of discipline at the end of game 5 and game 6 to not falter against a cheap Calgary team.

4) We all know that in the Play-offs, you can throw most of the regular season out the window. The play is called differently, and what a penalty was in the regular season is not always a penalty in the play-offs. Also, more often than not the teams will match each others intensity. The PP/PK difference between the teams in each series were less then 2 penalties per game difference. I don't think that special teams will play a huge factor in this series. Maybe a game or two, but the winner of this series will be the better overall team in 6 or 7.

5) Goaltending Match Up is pretty close. I think San Jose has a better tandem, but how can you count out 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts and a Cup?? Experience may play a factor here. It's close because Nabokov has been there before too.

6) Forward Match Ups I give to San Jose as they are deeper than Detroit and all of their lines can produce. The Red Wings are also pretty deep, but not quite as much as San Jose.

7) Defensively, I give the nod to Detroit. Their top 4 could be the best in the league. San Jose is no slouch, but not quite as experienced as Detroit.

So all things being said, all of the match ups are very close and I think this may be the best series of the play-offs. It's the old battle of age and experience against Youth and Energy.

This series will go 6 or 7 and it will be tight the whole way. I am pulling for San Jose, but I would not be at all shocked if Detroit wins.

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/24/2007 09:52:26
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:36:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stactum

I do have respect for SJS and all their offense, but they'll be too busy playing defense in this series.
Nabby is great no question about that, but allowing 13 goals from 133 shots is NOT ANYWHERE NERAR KIPPER! :)
Hasek allowed 10 goals and faced 129 shots.

Don’t forget, you are going to play at JLA and that is deadly. Good luck Sharks.

Detroit in 6.

Yeah Nabby might have allowed a few more goals then Hasek but you have to take a look at the level of forwards that Nabby was facing vs. Hasek. NSH was doing a great job taking advantage of the puck in SJ's defensive zone. Yeah that might be a hit on SJ's D-line but NSH didn't finish third in the NHL for nothing. So just because Hasek and Nabby's shots against are pretty much even the quality of NSH's shots were better. I mean I'm pretty sure if CGY had faced NSH in the first round CGY would still be going home.

And as for playing at the SJL....have you ever been inside the Shark Tank (HP Pavillion)? The crowd is deafening. There's a reason they say that playing in the Tank is like haveing a sixth man on the ice. I would actually say that if DET loses home ice they won't be able to recover.

This is going to be a great series probably one of the best of the 2nd round but all the "experts" on ESPN. com and SI.com can't be wrong when every single one of them picks SJ in six or seven

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:39:47  Show Profile
I want the Wings to win, but I think SJ will. They have better depth, with a mix of on-fire players and solid ones, and, assuming they stick with Toskala, about equal goaltending. Again, Detroit's numbers are inflated a bit due to an easy conference. SJ's conference was much harder, and they finished with only 6 points less than the Wings. San Jose in 6.
Go to Top of Page

sancarlos
Top Prospect

2 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:26:25  Show Profile
Mikhailova- I'm guessing you meant Nabokov, because Toskala is riding the pine and wearing a cap during games.

I think this one will be very close, but I'm picking the Sharks in seven, because I think their big fast forwards will wear down the Wings defense progressively as the series extends, leading to more penalties and PP goals for the Sharks.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  15:31:04  Show Profile
San Jose in 6 great depth and can hit. Babs do you know there average height I think it is like 6''3 or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  15:54:08  Show Profile
Wow it's amazing how misled some of you are...

It shows how underrated Nashville is. Some of you seem to think that beating Detroit beating Calgary was more impressive than SJ beating Nashville. SJ scored only 2 fewer goals against the #3 ranked team in the NHL than the #2 seed scored in one more game against the #13 seed!

So big deal Nabokov's SV% was the lowest among advancing goalies... remember who he played against? He also had the highest GAA of all advancing goalies... Yet somehow, he won 4 out of 5 games against the 3rd best team in the NHL. I wonder who said that winning was the more important stat of all...

Did any of you watch the SJ-Nashville, like really? Because to just look at the goalie stats says nothing about the real game. You would have seen how many amazing saves Nabokov had to make to keep SJ in each game. It is not necessarily a knock against SJ's defense, but like sjtru said, Nashville wasn't the 3rd seed for nothing. I'll bet you all anything that had Nabokov been in net in place of Kiprusoff, that he would have matched if not beat his performance. I would lean towards beat because at least Nabokov can make glove saves... It's not like Detroit has it any easier against Nabokov, and to think that is absurd.

Anyways, this series is not just about goaltending. I think those who rely too heavily on the fact that Detroit outshot Calgary 2-1 are completely misguided. SJ's defense is MUCH better than Calgary's and SJ also ices one of the best shut-down lines, especially in these playoffs. Detroit won't even come close to outshooting SJ by that margin, if they even outshoot them at all.

There is no reason to be afraid of the JLA. Detroit only lost four games there, 1 of them being against SJ (won 5-1 on 5 PPG's and the other game there, SJ lost 2-1). SJ also had the second-best road record in the league and took two road games against Nashville, the next-best home team behind Detroit. So why is this series going to be any different? Okay so Lidstrom will isolate Thornton (maybe). That leaves SJ with Michalek, Cheechoo, Marleau, Grier, and a ready-to-burst Guerin. Hannan and Vlasic will pretty much isolate Datsyuk and Zetterberg, so that leaves who?

I didn't even address everything I wanted to because I have to leave but I strongly maintain that this series will end in 5 in SJ's favour, 6 AT THE VERY MOST (this is SJ only manages to win one at the JLA).
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  16:34:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sancarlos

Mikhailova- I'm guessing you meant Nabokov, because Toskala is riding the pine and wearing a cap during games.

No I meant Toskala. In my book, if I say anyone's goaltending abilities are equal to Hasek's, that's a compliment. Nabokov is nowhere near Hasek, he's inconsistent and you never know if he'll do a great job or a bad one.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  16:59:44  Show Profile
San Jose. Detroit will have a hard time trying to shut down Thornton's line and will have an incredibly difficult time handeling the fast second line. Lidstrom can't play too effectivly if SJ plays a more physical game, which I think they will. SJ has an underrated and highly capable defense. They will shut down Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Fast, physical, gritty hockey vs fast, defensive normal season hockey. SJ in 5, maybe 6.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  17:23:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by sancarlos

No I meant Toskala. In my book, if I say anyone's goaltending abilities are equal to Hasek's, that's a compliment. Nabokov is nowhere near Hasek, he's inconsistent and you never know if he'll do a great job or a bad one.

Well it's because you said "If they stick with Toskala...". Toskala hasn't played a minute of this year's playoffs...
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  18:41:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

You are delusional Babs.. but I don't blame you.. you're a fan.
It's going to be very very close.

This is going to be a close series and either team can take it. Detroit plays a better team game, is a little bit more well rounded, has better defensemen, and more experience. SJ has the edge on the high-end skill players, plays a better defensive style game, and is probably a bit bigger and tougher. Both are very good teams. Should be fun.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  19:08:55  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

This is going to be a close series and either team can take it. Detroit plays a better team game, is a little bit more well rounded

Mind elaborating? I know my opinion is biased so I would like to know why you say this.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  19:35:09  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

This is going to be a close series and either team can take it. Detroit plays a better team game, is a little bit more well rounded

Mind elaborating? I know my opinion is biased so I would like to know why you say this.

ok.

quote:

Nashville wasn't the 3rd seed for nothing.

True. They are a good team and it was a good series, SJ just simply beat them.
quote:

I'll bet you all anything that had Nabokov been in net in place of Kiprusoff, that he would have matched if not beat his performance.

I doubt this myself, but this is something we'll never know.
quote:

I would lean towards beat because at least Nabokov can make glove saves... It's not like Detroit has it any easier against Nabokov, and to think that is absurd.

I believe they do have it a bit easier against Nabokov. Kiprosoff kept the scores as close as these were in the DET/CAL series. Not to say that Nabokov isnt a great goalie, he is, but he doesnt quite have that 'shut-down' valve closed quite as tight as Kipper so far. (I thought you werent even a Nabokov fan and wanted Toskala to start? Didnt you say something like the Sharks are in trouble if they rely on Nabokov a month or two back? .. .perhaps my aging memory fails me...)
quote:

SJ's defense is MUCH better than Calgary's

Is it? They certainly play a better defensive team game, but I wouldnt say that this statement is true about the defense themselves
quote:

and SJ also ices one of the best shut-down lines, especially in these playoffs.

All teams have great shut-down lines. I'm not sure i'd say that SJs is better than the Draper line.
quote:

Detroit won't even come close to outshooting SJ by that margin, if they even outshoot them at all.

I think they will outshoot them, but I agree, it will be close.
quote:

There is no reason to be afraid of the JLA. Detroit only lost four games there

Exactly why teams should be afraid of the JLA. :) Thinking otherwise is wishful. I'm not saying that teams need to be afraid or intimidated per se, but know home ice is certainly going to make a difference.
quote:

Okay so Lidstrom will isolate Thornton (maybe). That leaves SJ with Michalek, Cheechoo, Marleau, Grier, and a ready-to-burst Guerin.

Lidstrom will isolate whoever he needs to isolate during his 30mins+ of icetime. Don't underrate his effectiveness. And I'm shocked that you even mentioned Grier
quote:

Hannan and Vlasic ..

Who? Yes yes.. I say that Hannan is pretty underrated and Vlasic has played well for a youngster. But dont mention these two guys in the same breath where you just mentioned Lidstrom.
quote:

will pretty much isolate Datsyuk and Zetterberg, so that leaves who?

How about Lidstrom/Holmstrom/Lang/Schneider/Samuelsson/..? The Wings had 13 players with 10 or more goals (none of which was part-time 1st line players)
quote:

I strongly maintain that this series will end in 5 in SJ's favour, 6 AT THE VERY MOST (this is SJ only manages to win one at the JLA).

You know what? I agree that this is a possiblity. SJ is a very good team. But, it's not as easy as you state. It could very well be DET in 5 as well. This is a tough series to predict and I think whoever gets the momentum out the the gate is going to run with it.

Now, all that being said, I'm completely cheering for the Sharks and want them to kick some Wing butt!!!

GO SHARKS GO!
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  19:43:56  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

This is going to be a close series and either team can take it. Detroit plays a better team game, is a little bit more well rounded, has better defensemen, and more experience. SJ has the edge on the high-end skill players, plays a better defensive style game, and is probably a bit bigger and tougher. Both are very good teams. Should be fun.

I don't know what SJ team you've seen play this season but SJ doesn't play a defensive style of game at all. They relied heavily on their forecheck and maintaining the puck in the O-zone as their heaviest defense. That was until our young d-corp got a little more experience and added the services of Rivet. As far as them being " probably a bit bigger and tougher", SJ has the "biggest" team in the league, the only thing that brings our average down is the size of our goalies.

As far as your coment that DET plays a better team game, well, thats no more then wishful thinking. SJ had more players score a point in the first round then DET in one less game. Sounds like SJ has the team game down pat.

You are right that DET has a little more experience then SJ but they lack the fire in their play that SJ has.

I changed my mind SJ in no more then 5 (SJS-NSH repeat)

Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  20:02:21  Show Profile
tctitan, quick question did you watch the SJS-NSH series? Because if you did you would know who Grier is. He was the one giving NSH hell all over the rink and outskating every single player on the NSH bench. ( yeah he's fast) Furthermore Lindstrom isn't playing 30+ minutes nor will he against SJ. As far as your list of potential scorers against SJ you might want to rethink having Samuelsson on there because I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything in the first round. And as far as Home ice I still think that the Shark Tank is a little more intimidating then the SJL.

Oh yeah DET had 13 players with 10 or more goals right? Well SJ had 12 with 10+ the only difference is DET top 13 combined for 216 goals SJ top 12 combined for 246 so much for that stat.

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  20:07:22  Show Profile
quote:
I believe they do have it a bit easier against Nabokov. Kiprosoff kept the scores as close as these were in the DET/CAL series. Not to say that Nabokov isnt a great goalie, he is, but he doesnt quite have that 'shut-down' valve closed quite as tight as Kipper so far. (I thought you werent even a Nabokov fan and wanted Toskala to start? Didnt you say something like the Sharks are in trouble if they rely on Nabokov a month or two back? .. .perhaps my aging memory fails me...)

That's unfair to say because Nabokov has never been tested at the 50-shot/game level, probably due to the fact that SJ's defense is MUCH better than Calgary's. Most elite goalies play better the more shots they face, and I would know. When I was a goalie on some crappy teams, I often loved getting 50 shots against/game (yeah, in 12 min-periods). This is because I'd usually only end up giving up about 3 goals. I loved more shots and I'm sure Kiprusoff feels the same way. I mean look how well Nabokov played in the first game of the series that went to double OT. Funny, he faced more shots and even though he let in a few at the start, he got better as the game went along, much like Kiprusoff. And yeah I won't deny I was skeptical about Nabokov playing because at one point he was 16-19-something when Toskala was like 25-9-something. Who would you rather? Then Toskala got injured and Nabokov's light turned on and he started doing well. Now he's doing well and even though I still would have preferred Toskala, I might as well support Nabokov because he earned my respect back.

quote:
Is it? They certainly play a better defensive team game, but I wouldnt say that this statement is true about the defense themselves

Calgary has Phaneuf (who is just a young Souray, he can hit and score on the PP but seriously lacks defensive skills, although he is still young), Regehr (who is good, I won't take anything away from him, but he was injured against Detroit), Brad Stuart (an ex-Shark who's played for Cgy for what like 20 games?), Hamrlik who isn't bad and Zyuzin/Giordano, neither of which are good enough to be regulars. This compared to two rock-solid, veteran defensemen in Rivet and Hannan, arguably the two best rookie defensemen in Carle and Vlasic, a good PP quarterback and a solid hitter in Ehrhoff and McLaren respectively, who are still developing, but they only play 3rd-line minutes. It might just be me...

quote:
All teams have great shut-down lines. I'm not sure i'd say that SJs is better than the Draper line.
Let's call this one a draw.

quote:
Exactly why teams should be afraid of the JLA. :) Thinking otherwise is wishful. I'm not saying that teams need to be afraid or intimidated per se, but know home ice is certainly going to make a difference.
Like I said, SJ accounted for one of those losses and took two on the road against the second-best home team in the league, no reason they won't do the same against Detroit, in fact I'm willing to bet they split the first two in Detroit.

quote:
Lidstrom will isolate whoever he needs to isolate during his 30mins+ of icetime. Don't underrate his effectiveness. And I'm shocked that you even mentioned Grier
Yeah, Lidstrom can isolate one, maybe two guys. Too bad SJ has the deepest lineup in the NHL. I mentioned Grier because of his speed and for the amount of chances/breakaways he had against Nashville, he is sure to leave Detroit's slow defense in the dust. Unless he plays against Lidstrom's top line, in which case SJ's lines 1A and 1B will take care of Detroit no problem. Look for Grier to be out against Detroit's top line in SJ where they have last change.

quote:
The Wings had 13 players with 10 or more goals (none of which was part-time 1st line players)
So SJ had 12, big deal?

Sharks in 5.5 (covering my bases), final answer.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  12:57:28  Show Profile
quote:

Well it's because you said "If they stick with Toskala...". Toskala hasn't played a minute of this year's playoffs...

Well I hadn't seen any SJ games because they're only showing eastern or central teams in the playoffs here, so I didn't know.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/25/2007 13:05:33
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:08:24  Show Profile
At the beginning of the playoffs, I said that Detroit will only go as far as Hasek takes them. I think this still holds true. I had a pretty good first series, but I think this will be the series he starts to decline. SJ's too good of a team to not capitalize on an aging Dominator. It will be a good series, but I predict SJ will win in 6.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  19:21:42  Show Profile
Hmm, SJ plays one period and it's enough to beat Detroit 2-0 at the JLA...

I know it's only the first game but already SJ has stolen home ice. Detroit was BRUTAL tonight and all SJ needed was one PP to get a PPG (now 44% this year against Detroit). None of Detroit's shots were really dangerous scoring chances. SJ blocked 17 shots to Detroit's one and Detroit gave the puck away 24 times to SJ's five. I mean if SJ can dominate Detroit like this by only playing 20 minutes, God knows what they could do with a full effort. Now I said that this series would go just like the Nashville one (well I said that to my dad, not on here), so I would expect Detroit to come out a little stronger in Game 2. However, if SJ wins Game 2, consider the series over.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/26/2007 19:25:21
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  20:12:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sjtrufan

I changed my mind SJ in no more then 5 (SJS-NSH repeat)

I did say that. Honestly I think SJ was just protecting their lead. There was no need to go out there and risk injury when they already got the job done. So much for SJ "inexperienced" D-Line, because from the game I saw SJ defense outplayed detroit at every turn of the game. For that matter SJ outplayed them at all points of the game.

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  15:50:10  Show Profile
quote:

Now I said that this series would go just like the Nashville one (well I said that to my dad, not on here), so I would expect Detroit to come out a little stronger in Game 2.

Just like I thought...

Doesn't matter how much Nabokov earns my respect, he'll always do something to mess it up. Datsyuk should take Nabokov out to dinner tonight. Nabokov, thinking he's Turco or Brodeur tries to clear the puck out (he was under 0 pressure at the time) of the zone when a couple Sharks were standing right beside him so Zetterberg intercepts it, keeps the puck in and a few seconds later Datsyuk scores. I don't know what the hell he was thinking... I know Detroit had been owning SJ towards the end of the game but SJ was just picking up their game and I'm sure they would have gotten back into it if they had the extra period to do it. I'm not one to complain about the officiating so I won't really make a big deal of it, but Detroit was running interference all over the ice and only got called a couple of times on it. They should breathe a huge sigh of relief as that game was not theirs by any means.

Oh well, Wings fans can cheer all they want, SJ still stole home ice from them and will certainly show up tenfold at the Shark Tank on Monday.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/28/2007 15:51:41
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  16:21:57  Show Profile
quote:
This compared to two rock-solid, veteran defensemen in Rivet and Hannan, arguably the two best rookie defensemen in Carle and Vlasic, a good PP quarterback and a solid hitter in Ehrhoff and McLaren respectively

It's obviously a shark fan who wrote this. :)

quote:
Too bad SJ has the deepest lineup in the NHL.

Another shark fan talking (mind you, I wouldnt say that this is very far off)

quote:
I mentioned Grier because of his speed and for the amount of chances/breakaways he had against Nashville, he is sure to leave Detroit's slow defense in the dust.

I know Grier very well, and I know why he has been a journeyman and been on so many different teams.

quote:
The Wings had 13 players with 10 or more goals (none of which was part-time 1st line players)
So SJ had 12, big deal?

You suspicously omitted my qualification. How many of SJs 12 have played on the 1st line? for how many of their goals?

I'm not a Shark-hater. I like the Sharks, and want them to win. But I left my rose coloured glasses on the table beside where I watch my Canuck games.

Edited by - tctitans on 04/28/2007 16:23:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page