Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Luongo Trade Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  18:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all the way a huge Canucks fan, (which was very hard to be on June 15th, 2011).

But I see one very glaring issue with the team, regardless of the outcome of the 2012 playoff season. And that is without a doubt the problem between the pipes. (If you can actually call having two starting goalies a problem).

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few people from Vancouver who believes that if we were a hell of a lot less critical of Luongo and just let him play his game without jumping down his throat whenever he has a bad day, that he would be a lot more confidant and play a lot better in live or die situations. I actually like Luongo.

But in my mind, Schneider has the potential to be the better goalie, and given the teams long term aspirations, I believe that Schneider should be the goalie they pick to backstop the team. He's younger, has proved that he can hold top 3 in the league numbers, AND he has been solid in very critical situations. The guy just doesn't crack.

Now of course the problem that we all know is Luongo is under contract until the year 4043 or the apocalypse, (whichever arrives sooner), and his salary cap is HUGE. What are the chances of dumping Luongo on a team like Toronto, NY Islanders, Columbus or Tampa, (all of which have HUGE needs in net)?

Just for discussions sake, what are the chances/problems/pieces/logistics of a Luongo trade? And where would he go

"If you can play, You Can Play"

Guest4465
( )

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  18:45:44  Reply with Quote
Cory Schneider is a free agent come June, so they will be signing him to a better deal obviously. They won't let him leave as a free agent and get nothing from him. He's currently on $900,000 a season far less then what Luongo commands.

If the Canucks win the Cup it will be a lot easier to negotiate with Luongo, in other words he will be more likely to agree to be traded, but Tampa Bay is the only logical place where he will end up. Due to his wife who is constantly trying to get Luongo to move back to Florida.

If they keep Luongo and trade Schneider then something is wrong, Schneider is arguably just as good as Luongo and has the potential to be better then Luongo once given more games. Not to mention Schneider is 8 years younger then Luongo, meaning they could get 8 years out of him if he was to end his career at 33 (the age of Luongo right now) not likely but my point is they will get more out of Schneider for less then what Luongo commands.

Also it will become impossible come June/July to keep both goalies as the Canucks will exceed the salary cap. Schneider will probably get 3 million a year once they renew his contract.

The question is if Luongo goes to Tampa Bay, what will the Canucks get in return? Please don't say St. Louis as he is past it now, still putting up points but not a fair trade for Luongo. Not Lecavelier either as he won't play for a west coast team.
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think they could pull out Hedman, Connolly and a high draft pick?

Or do you think they could possibly work Purcell into a deal?

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  19:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a topic out there somewhere with this discussion, but i will add this here. First of all, IF the Canucks do trade Luongo, do not expect to get fair value in return. It will be viewed as somewhat of a salary dump as sad as that sounds. But it's his contract that will make it that way. The Canucks will have to take some salary back and prob get a 2nd line type player. Off the top of my head, a guy like Malone, since you'd mentioned Tampa Bay.

Secondly, don't just assume that it's a given that Schneider will develop into the better of the two. There's MANY examples of goalies out there who've shone early in their career, only to become very pedestrian and while still maybe a starter, not necessarily a top 5 goalie. Jose Theodore is a great example, having won a Hart Trophy and then never really live up to that level of play over the long haul! Also, as good as Schneider has been, it's still only a small sample size of games.

Third, as was mentioned, Luongo would have to agree to a trade!

BTW, i'm a big fan of both these guys, but if i were making the call, i'm on side with you guys in thinking i'd do whatever i can to keep Schneider and roll the dice. Just want you to know that i'm not arguing for Luongo, just laying out the risks of taking a chance on Schneider and making sure that you understand that the Canucks wouldn't be likely to get a lot for Luongo in a deal!

Hopefully that cup win you mentioned, begins tonight, as in right now!
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  19:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hedman,Connoly and a high pick? How good do you think Luongo is?

I agree with Alex you will get a second line player and MAYBE a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  19:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One loss and the Luongo trade talk starts??? Don't trip getting off the bandwagon.

I think Luongo is not a keeper to shine on the bigges stages but I don't think you trade him. Not only is Schneider not an upgrade, but the contract that Luongo signed means a team can never trade him for value.

Connelly, Hedman, and high draft pick??? Maybe in NHL '12 on playstation. Not in the real world. Not a chance.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  20:32:18  Reply with Quote
3 way trade:
Van get's: Rick Nash
Florida or Tampa get's: Luongo
Columbus get's: Prospect's and/or Draft Picks

Obviously it's not perfect but this could be the main focus. Van gets a big forward to add that grit needed. Luongo goes home to wife. Columbus get's something to help build.
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  20:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luongo has a cap hit of 5.333m for 10 more years. I just don't see any other team wanting to take this on. If there is a team out there that would be willing to take that salary they certainly won't give up much to do it.

Rick Nash is at a cap hit of 7.8m

Vancouver has $0 in cap space to date so if they want Nash and pay Schneider more they are going to have to make more moves to free up some space

A 3way deal is hard to pull off when your taking about these big salaries

Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  08:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clatts

Luongo has a cap hit of 5.333m for 10 more years. I just don't see any other team wanting to take this on. If there is a team out there that would be willing to take that salary they certainly won't give up much to do it.

Rick Nash is at a cap hit of 7.8m

Vancouver has $0 in cap space to date so if they want Nash and pay Schneider more they are going to have to make more moves to free up some space

A 3way deal is hard to pull off when your taking about these big salaries

Don Cherry on Visors

I think his cap hit is actually very reasonable, given the recent contracts for other current top talent goalies. Rinne is at 7M, Bryzgalov at 5.66M (for a similar time period), Lundqvist at 6.5M. Even Kipper is at 5.8M. I don't have any problem at all taking that cap hit for a goalie like Luongo.

The problem with Luongo's contract is the actual dollar amounts paid and the length. Only a reasonably rich team could afford to pay him the 7M a season that he will be owed for each of the next 6 years, and not many teams want a 10 year contract for their goalie. So the list of possible destinations is thin, should the Canucks decide to trade him.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  08:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

One loss and the Luongo trade talk starts??? Don't trip getting off the bandwagon.

Is two losses a safe enough time to jump off Beans? Lol...

Funny thing is, i didn't even think it was the loss that sparked this thread, just figured it was on someone's mind, but it does make some sense that that's what caused it. Ironically, it followed one of his best games of the season that was a wasted effort in the end.

To whoever asked about Purcell. Yes, he could be worked into a deal. However, he'd prob be the deal, him alone! Hedman, Connolly AND a high pick? NFW! You could change "and" to "or" and i'd still say prob not!!!

I agree with nuxfan, his cap hit is affordable for many, but the ownership would need to have deep pockets to take him on.

My proposal....

To Vancouver: Montreal's first rounder (3rd overall?)
To Montreal: Roberto Luongo, 2 "like new" President's Trophy's, the Canucks ridiculously slimmed down anthem singer, 3 burned cop cars and 1 green man.
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're not speaking to a bandwagon fan here Beansy.

And ps, you need a new line. You used the same one talking to Alex earlier.

But back to the issue, the issue isn't even so much how Luongo plays (which would be hormonally...), its the fact that his contract goes until 2022. Schneider has 8 years on him, and a whole lot of potential. I agree with Alex. Roll the dice and see how it works out. But Luongo isn't going to be Brodeur, where we can rely on him to back us into the playoffs when he's 43.

And Beansy...I only play 360. I hate Playstations

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  10:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, I don't need a new line. Like a great pair of shoes, it's comfortable, it fits nearly every occasion, and it looks great! The only better one I have is when Leaf fans are planning parades in September.

I understand the logistics behind the contract and the age difference. However, I still don't think Schneider has proved anything. He has less than 100 NHL games playing his entire career with one of, if not the best defensive team in hockey and backing up an elite keeper.

Again, Luongo will never be traded for value. That's the bottom line for me. All this talk about Hedman and Connolley or Nash in a three team trade is rediculous. The closest deal I have read is the trade to Montreal for #3 pick. However, why on earth would Montreal want Luongo when Price has emerged as an elite #1 in his own right??

I still think if Vancouver is missing anything it is the elite, #1 defensemen. Sure, Edler and Hamhuis are great players, but I don't see them as true superstars.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  12:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again, Luongo will never be traded for value. That's the bottom line for me. All this talk about Hedman and Connolley or Nash in a three team trade is rediculous. The closest deal I have read is the trade to Montreal for #3 pick. However, why on earth would Montreal want Luongo when Price has emerged as an elite #1 in his own right??

1. Luongo speaks French, and is from Montreal
2. Luongo will likely end up being cheaper than Price, at least capwise.

Montreal can then flip Price to someone else. Just spitballing...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Ummmm, did you guys read the entire trade proposal i suggested? You do know i was joking, right? No way Montreal would be interested UNLESS they simply couldn't come to terms with Price i guess? But, i do wanna make sure you guys know i was kidding....
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex - Your trade simply wouldn't happen, it makes no sense. Much like the Sedin's the green men are a package deal

Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  00:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Ummmm, did you guys read the entire trade proposal i suggested? You do know i was joking, right? No way Montreal would be interested UNLESS they simply couldn't come to terms with Price i guess? But, i do wanna make sure you guys know i was kidding....

Back during the season, I had heard that the Canadiens were balking at the supposed asking price from Price of 7M per season for 10 years or something like that - similar to what Rinne got. Also recall his last contract was not an easy one to work out, Price wanted more and they had to settle in the middle.

I'm not arguing as to whether or not Price is worth a 7M per year cap hit, but if that is too rich for MTL (they are up against the cap with some other reasonably significant names to sign), they might have to look at options. Luongo might not be the option that they want, but he would be cheaper, and being French Canadian he would be appealing to MTL.

Stranger things have happened...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  00:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alex - Your trade simply wouldn't happen, it makes no sense. Much like the Sedin's the green men are a package deal

Lol...love the package deals! Question is, which package is more valuable right now, the Sedin's or the Green Men?
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  07:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Price in a cowboy hat the other day watching a game he wasn't dressed for, seems to me if he's too rich for MTL's blood he might look good in Stampede City

Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  17:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I saw Price in a cowboy hat the other day watching a game he wasn't dressed for, seems to me if he's too rich for MTL's blood he might look good in Stampede City

Don Cherry on Visors

Throw him in Edmonton. Backstop some great young talent, and then let Khabibulin finally retire and Dubnyk become a career backup!

Or we're you talking Calgary?? Because they can rot in hell...

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  18:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vandrew87

quote:

Don Cherry on Visors

Throw him in Edmonton. Backstop some great young talent, and then let Khabibulin finally retire and Dubnyk become a career backup!

Pretty sure "Stampede City" would be Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  18:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Don Cherry on Visors

Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

Guest0270
( )

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  11:03:47  Reply with Quote
Here's what it comes down to:

1) Who actually needs and can afford Luongo?
2) Who, of those teams, would Luongo waive his no-trade clause to play for?
3) What would those teams have to give up?

Answer to (1): Washington, Toronto, Florida, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, and maybe New Jersey (if Brodeur retires).

Answer to (2): Florida, Tampa, and maybe Washington.

Answer to (3):

Washington doesn't have a lot of cap-space, so they'd have to give up a Brooks Laich or maybe even a Mike Green. The Canucks could certainly use Wideman's services.

Florida has historically bailed-out the Canucks whenever they've needed it (think Jovo, Lou, Ballard, Booth). They have the least to offer the Canucks, but are the most likely team to be accepted by Luongo, so the Canucks might have to take what they can get (Bergenheim would sure be nice).

Tampa Bay has the cap space and enough draft picks and prospects to not move anyone in their current roster. Vancouver could stand to stock up the farm without taking an immediate cap-hit, and Luongo would be close enough to his wife. This looks like the best option for all parties.
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  14:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0270
Tampa Bay has the cap space and enough draft picks and prospects to not move anyone in their current roster. Vancouver could stand to stock up the farm without taking an immediate cap-hit, and Luongo would be close enough to his wife. This looks like the best option for all parties.

I agree, but I wouldn't mind getting a good player or two from the roster in a trade. And I honestly feel, after last night, that Vancouver would actually be improving their roster all around. Now nobody, least of all the fans, can blame the first two losses on Luongo. He's been grade A. But the fact is, the team plays better in front of Schneider. And if that's going to be how things go, then to get Luongo, and stack the farm team...so be it.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  14:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree, but I wouldn't mind getting a good player or two from the roster in a trade. And I honestly feel, after last night, that Vancouver would actually be improving their roster all around. Now nobody, least of all the fans, can blame the first two losses on Luongo. He's been grade A. But the fact is, the team plays better in front of Schneider. And if that's going to be how things go, then to get Luongo, and stack the farm team...so be it.

vandrew......Did you read what others are saying? The fact of the matter is, Luongo's salary, both value and length will be a huge factor in what they get in return. IF, they can find a team willing to take it on, that team will very likely not offer what some might think is fair. However, part of the trade will be somewhat of a salary dump for Vancouver. Don't get me wrong, i believe Luongo is a good goalie still, but teams will know that the Canucks at that point want to deal him and they'll know that to get rid of him and his salary, that they don't need to offer a whole lot!

Sorry, but the Canucks are very unlikely to land a whole lot in return. At least that's the way i see it.
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  15:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

vandrew......Did you read what others are saying? The fact of the matter is, Luongo's salary, both value and length will be a huge factor in what they get in return. IF, they can find a team willing to take it on, that team will very likely not offer what some might think is fair. However, part of the trade will be somewhat of a salary dump for Vancouver. Don't get me wrong, i believe Luongo is a good goalie still, but teams will know that the Canucks at that point want to deal him and they'll know that to get rid of him and his salary, that they don't need to offer a whole lot!

Sorry, but the Canucks are very unlikely to land a whole lot in return. At least that's the way i see it.

No, I have been reading it. When I say a good player or two, I'm not talking a Stamkos or a Purcell or a St Louis. I'm talking about a good prospect, someone who might not even don a Canucks jersey for a year or two. Take one or two prospects, who will blossom into a good player (preferably a defensive player), and if we're lucky a mid round draft pick. Keep our fingers crossed that the pick turns out to be a Datsyuk or a Zetterberg or a Vokoun or a Thomas, some late round gem.

So get a good player or two who will hopefully fill an important role in the next couple of years, dump Luongo's salary cap, and who knows, then maybe with the extra 4Mil a year in cap space you could pick up a good R/UFA?

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  17:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, i think you're on board then. A prospect / pick or two is fair to expect.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4604
( )

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  02:29:56  Reply with Quote
Luongo would excel better in a non-hockey market. schneids just seems more mentally stronger than Lou and that's huge in this game. an 82 grind.

the canucks can then call up lack who's a freakin' tree. 6'5" on skates
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  04:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0270

Here's what it comes down to:

1) Who actually needs and can afford Luongo?
2) Who, of those teams, would Luongo waive his no-trade clause to play for?
3) What would those teams have to give up?

Answer to (1): Washington, Toronto, Florida, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, and maybe New Jersey (if Brodeur retires).

Answer to (2): Florida, Tampa, and maybe Washington.

Answer to (3):

Washington doesn't have a lot of cap-space, so they'd have to give up a Brooks Laich or maybe even a Mike Green. The Canucks could certainly use Wideman's services.

Florida has historically bailed-out the Canucks whenever they've needed it (think Jovo, Lou, Ballard, Booth). They have the least to offer the Canucks, but are the most likely team to be accepted by Luongo, so the Canucks might have to take what they can get (Bergenheim would sure be nice).

Nice post, guest. Well thought out.

I mostly agree with you here - the Florida/wife connection is well documented with Luongo, and it certainly seems as if that would be the most likely destination. Washington though . . . man, that would certainly create some waves in the conference, I think, him going there. But again, with Neuvirth having really developed into a solid #1 (despite him being injured right now), I don't see it with Washington.

TB really does look like the place. Interesting to debate though what the price will actually turn out to be, as a huge/long contract like this is like a heavy weight that totally takes away from the value a team can get back in any deal.

It might end up just being a decent prospect, and a couple of 2nd rounders and lower picks.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  07:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My proposal....

To Vancouver: Montreal's first rounder (3rd overall?)
To Montreal: Roberto Luongo, 2 "like new" President's Trophy's, the Canucks ridiculously slimmed down anthem singer, 3 burned cop cars and 1 green man.

hahaha i noticed that too!!

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  08:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, I think your suggestion is about a realistic as I have read in regards to the value that Luongo would get in a trade. A prospect and a couple of 2nd round picks is about dead on in my opinion. I would also suggest that prospect is not a blue chipper like a Connelly type player. I think it is more likely to see a prospect like a Charlie Coyle or a Joe Coburne. Not a complete dud but not a sure thing either.

The other point that I am not sure if people have discussed is Luongo's no movement clause. It's not only where he would fit in a hockey sense but also where he would like to go. TB is the obvious answer as discussed. But what about back to Florida?? He has history there and that team is building for the future.......

It might only be one game but I thought the Canucks played far better in front of Schneider than they did in front of Luongo........

Go to Top of Page

Guest4425
( )

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:37:26  Reply with Quote
Predicting Luongo will go to Tampa. It makes the outmost sense for both clubs

Hard to argue even value but I'm sure we'll see a package deal involving Malone and something for Luongo, Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Guest4425
( )

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:41:07  Reply with Quote
Predicting Luongo will go to Tampa. It makes the outmost sense for both clubs

Hard to argue even value but I'm sure we'll see a package deal involving Malone and something for Luongo, Raymond
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if things don't work out for san jose.... havlat for luongo???

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Guest9500
( )

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:48:42  Reply with Quote
3-way trade at the draft:

To TB: Luongo (solves goalie need, salary neutral)
To Mon: Lecavalier (home town boy, can afford cap hit)
To Van: Montreals 1st rounder 2012 (salary dump)

I think Luongo would waive just to get out from the bright lights right now.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other point that I am not sure if people have discussed is Luongo's no movement clause. It's not only where he would fit in a hockey sense but also where he would like to go. TB is the obvious answer as discussed. But what about back to Florida?? He has history there and that team is building for the future.......

It might only be one game but I thought the Canucks played far better in front of Schneider than they did in front of Luongo........

Its not just one game - the Canucks have generally played very well in front of Schneider all year long.

For Luongo, I don't think there would be much difference between FLA and TB, and I agree they'd be the most Luongo-friendly destinations should VAN choose to move him. Its good to know that both teams there would have a need for him.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
San Jose already has a proven playoff goaltender in Niemi. Heard somewhere prior to the playoffs he had the best win record of any goaltender heading in to this years playoffs for the last 2 seasons. I dont know if, Loungo would want another tandom situation or if San Jose see's Loungo as an improvement.

Havlat would be a risky pickup for a team who already has offensive talent and lacks toughness. $ wise it makes sense. Player wise not so much. Havlat is above the quality of return I expect Loungo to fetch even though in the long run he is a more valuable player. This is a clear contract disadvantage to signing players for longer than 10 years.

I expect Tampa to be the front runner of any trade offer with prospects and a mid-level player possibly defenseman.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9500

3-way trade at the draft:

To TB: Luongo (solves goalie need, salary neutral)
To Mon: Lecavalier (home town boy, can afford cap hit)
To Van: Montreals 1st rounder 2012 (salary dump)

I think Luongo would waive just to get out from the bright lights right now.

NO chance in hell that the Canucks get a top 3 draft pick for Luongo. If they do, i'll be shocked, but i won't hold my breath!

Beans....the NMC was discussed before in an old thread but not much here, however something to consider before discussing that is just how critical tomorrow nights game could be to this entire discussion.

It was brought up by one of the local radio guys today, just how much tomorrows game could affect the Canucks organization moving forward. More specifically, the decision of who plays in goal! It's got nothing to do with whether or not they are swept either. It has everything to do with the goalie the team chooses at this point as there's widespread speculation that if Schneider is given the start, Luongo might be more likely to "want out" of Vancouver and waive is NMC. If he's at least given the chance to win tomorrow, he might understand not getting the start in game 3 more and be more content to stay. This one decision could be a huge hint towards which way the Canucks plan to go with goalies this summer as game 4 could very well have a huge influence on both Luongo's and the team's desires!

Very interesting game tomorrow night, regardless of the series score, the outcome of the game, or any of the other stuff that's already going on!
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tampa seems likely and i won't say it isn't going to happen. but based on things i have heard through the grapevine tampa made an offer for josh harding at trade deadline but minnesota was asking far too much (prospect and a 1st rounder). harding has a home in minnesota and met a young lady ... but obviously wants a number 1 gig. i think tampa goes younger than roberto and gets harding this offseason.

san jose made sense to me for a number of reasons:
- older players closer in age to luongo
- out of the spot light
- weak goaltending (i don't care if niemi won with chicago)
- tradeable assets

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  17:16:44  Reply with Quote
Whatever happens with Luongo, I TOLD YOU GUYS(any VAN fan who would listen) you should of traded him last year before the trade deadline while his value still holds higher than what he is actually worth. Schneider would be proven by now instead of a question mark and just imagine what teams would of gave for him last year compared to next year...
Now pick up your jaw and pray for better foresight
Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4604

Luongo would excel better in a non-hockey market. schneids just seems more mentally stronger than Lou and that's huge in this game. an 82 grind.

the canucks can then call up lack who's a freakin' tree. 6'5" on skates

Eddie Lack is gonna be the next Pekka Rinne. I'm so excited to see this kid take to the ice! He's gonna be gooooooood

Go to Top of Page

vandrew87
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  18:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was brought up by one of the local radio guys today, just how much tomorrows game could affect the Canucks organization moving forward. More specifically, the decision of who plays in goal! It's got nothing to do with whether or not they are swept either. It has everything to do with the goalie the team chooses at this point as there's widespread speculation that if Schneider is given the start, Luongo might be more likely to "want out" of Vancouver and waive is NMC. If he's at least given the chance to win tomorrow, he might understand not getting the start in game 3 more and be more content to stay. This one decision could be a huge hint towards which way the Canucks plan to go with goalies this summer as game 4 could very well have a huge influence on both Luongo's and the team's desires!

Very interesting game tomorrow night, regardless of the series score, the outcome of the game, or any of the other stuff that's already going on!

I think this is the article to go along with that radio conversation:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1147762-nhl-playoffs-2012-the-vancouver-canucks-need-to-start-roberto-luongo-in-game-4?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=vancouver-canucks

But as for what it says in the article, regardless if they think that since Schneider's contract would be easier to trade, I don't think that would be a legitimate reason for keeping Luongo...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page