Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 leafs problems Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What shouldthe leafs do to turn their franchise around for the next few seasons?

GO PREDATORS GO

Choices:

Fire JFJ
Fire Paul Maurice
Get new ownership
Make trades
Sign more big names
most/all of the above
Nothing, the leafs are pretty much destined for failure the next few years

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 11/26/2007 18:16:19

Kyrens gpa
Top Prospect

14 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  16:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what should the leafs do> How about ressurrect Connie ..........no well how about move to Hamilton
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  18:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, the leafs don't have one owner!!!!! MLSE owns the leafs...That's a LARGE group!!!!!! (did you know that 58% of MLSE is the ontario teachers pension plan)...And how do you fire an owner?...Get rid of that option, cause I'm pretty sure MLSE isn't gonna "fire" itself!

Anyhow, the leafs better not fire Maurice!!!! He's one of the few bright spots in that franchise. He's a very good coach, he just needs better goaltending....
Ya, JFJ made a few bad moves (McCabe isn't a franchise player!!!!!!!...but he's a great man!)

I don't get why everyones freaking out about the leafs. I was a fan during the leafs dark days of the late 90's, so this is nothing!!! They'd be fine if they had better goaltending....Both goalies have potential, but it must be hard to play in that pressure cooker of T.O, and it's showing.....If only the majority of leafs fans were true like, say, me, and cheered their team regardless, then maybe the players would have a shred of confidence...Look at Saskatchewan (roughriders)...Those fans stuck by through thick and thin, and were paid off immensely....Every player I heard for the Riders made sure to thank the fans.....I couldn't blame the leafs players for not thanking their "fans".

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  18:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot you can't "fire the owner" I'll make it get new ownership then.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  19:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

...Look at Saskatchewan (roughriders)...Those fans stuck by through thick and thin, and were paid off immensely....Every player I heard for the Riders made sure to thank the fans.....I couldn't blame the leafs players for not thanking their "fans".

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Oh yeah we've been sticking it through for a while. Only 3 Grey Cups in 95 years. What a shame. But to the point. JFJ needs to go. He signed a player who had one really good season long term and a lot of money. He also signed Jeff O'neil who had only one good season too. I think they should do what Don Cherry said, bring Scott Clemensen from the minors and put him in and give your goalies who are sucking a break.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  11:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Hate Crosby Guy - You seem to painting all us Leaf Fans with the same brush. Yes, there is a contigent of Leaf fans that boo when the need overcomes them but there are allot more loyal and intelligent hockey fans of the Maples who are just like yourself that would crawl up a mountain on broken glass for their team. Being disappointed in them is just a part of being a concerned fan and no different than armchair critics second guessing the manager in a baseball game? I am an oldtimer and have been a fan since the fifties and never wavered in my support for our team even when they realistically suck allot of the time. Right now is one of those times unfortunately. There are a good many people with broken legs right now from jumping off the bandwagon. We suck at the moment but it really sucks to be one of them!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  12:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am of the opinion that if the team is playing like crap, they should be booed by their fans. Toronto may be a little more fickle and have a few more bandwagon jumpers than most, but look that the team. They have the personnel to be a middle of the road team and to streak above average at times. They are not playing like that. They are playing horrible. And although Maurice might be a bright spot, a team of solid players with decent chemistry playing poorly is 100% the responsibility of the coach. I am a die hard fan of the Oilers, but if they are playing well below their abilities, damn right I will boo.

What TO needs to do is very much like MacKenzie said on TSN the other day. Higher a solid, prove GM and let the man do his job. There are far too many cheifs and not enough indians in the TO organizaiton. They need one man, and a proven one at that, to call the shots. Commit to the fact that you will be a bad team for a few years, and build that spinach salad that Fly talked about in one of the other 50 Leafs threads.

If the Leafs continue the trend they have done for literally the past 25 years, they will continue to have the same results.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest1466
( )

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  12:24:38  Reply with Quote
you are right in many ways antroman there are good and bad fans. however, the media is hte worst. they will jump on and off the bandwagon almost daily. now they are wining and crying, but if the leafs win tonight those stupid idiots like mike landsberg or all those guys will talk about how good they are and how they will end the cup drought.

there is not a winning culture there, but a culture of mediocrity. they are content to be around 8th place and make the playoffs. then they talk about the promises of next year and it begins again. it is an absolute joke there. get rid of everybody for good draft picks, get good scouting, draft well. this all starts from ownership so fire everyone up there, keep maurice though. there ownersip is dispiccable. get qualified hockey personnel who know and care and start all over. if you continue to do this, making a couple trades in the offseason, and slapping bandaids on everything, you are destined to hover around mediocrity.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  12:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As IHC said, the Ownership is a Board of Directors. They represent an organization of money for the most part.

And what do the Owners really care?? The team makes money weather they win or lose. The Leafs can be the worst team in the league and they will still sell out every game and make millions upon millions in marketing. The team's value went from $100 million when the Teacher's Pension Fund got involved to over $700 million without winning. I personally don't think the Board of Directors is as concerned with putting a quality product on the ice as in other Teams because they don't have to and they still make money.

I personally think that it would take something drastic (say CBC not putting the Leafs on every Saturday Night) or a significant drop in attendance before the Ownership would force the issue.

Think of it this way, if you owned a company that produced a crappy product but still made the money you wanted to make, what kind of effort would you put in to improve???

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  14:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe if they improved they would make more money. Maybe the owners should think about that.

GO PREDATORS GO

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 11/27/2007 15:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Guest4057
( )

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  15:10:31  Reply with Quote
FYI, The Leafs generate more income financially then any other team in the NHL. Always sold out and they sell more jerseys and such than any other team in the NHL. It strives from their International popularity. Money should not be the biggest concern for them at this point. There is an internal problem somewhere in the organization.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  15:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem has to do with their board of directors, staff and players

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  18:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Leafs have had many problems for a long time now. Try and pinpoint them all you want, but the only problem is that no problem has been properly addressed. It starts upstairs , and the $#!& rolls downhill. I 'm not a Mats Sundin fan, by any means, but the man is a saint for his loyalty to these chuckleheads.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrens gpa
Top Prospect

14 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  18:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the whole franchise since it passed from Smythe, to Ballard, to the teachers, has had the'same problem, it is called the "I Love the Money" they don"t care about their fans, thefans will come hell or high water and whats more they will keep coming because someday we will win a game. The boards only interest is to maintain the money the teachers put in to it...........It is sad, and the only way to change it, is for the fans to stay home, can u do that TO??????????????? No, so quit crying
Where's Tommy Smythe?????
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  20:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sad part about all this is the fact they made 81,000,000 million dollars last year according to Bill Waters on Leafs Lunch. I agree that they need a President and General Manager that will have complete autonomy over the hockey operation side of things just like Colangelo has over the Raptors. The main problem seems to be that all the board members governing the hockey team are just hockey fans like the rest of us and like the rest of us can't agree on anything. You know what I mean, one wants to blow it up, one wants to fire Ferguson, one wants to hire a new coach and another wants status quo. Now you see why nothing gets accomplished and the dough just keeps rolling in anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9252
( )

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  07:59:47  Reply with Quote
Most games played, least wins in the nhl, most goals against in the nhl...
In fact, if there wasn't an extra point for losing in overtime the leafs would be in last place of the league...

The problem is not just one thing -it is everyone. Their only chance in the next 5 years is to buy the Ottawa Senators
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the leafs should rebuild their team entirely. If I were the GM this is what I would do:

Trade Sundin While he's still good. He;s nearing the last couple seasons of his career, you want to at least get something from him for the next few seasons. Trade him at the deadline, maybe even to Ottawa.

Get rid of McCabe. Make him the highest paid minor leaguer ever or at least buy out the guy's contract already, the guy is stinking up the team. I'm sure the organization has already tried getting rid of him. I heard he was going to pheonix a couple years ago. At least give him to Kevin Lowe

Other guy who have to go: Hal Gill, Andrew Raycroft, Carlo Colaiacovo (good but will never play a full season) and Andy Wozniewski (no wonder he's playing on a line with McCabe)

Just lose completely this season and grab Tavares first overall next season. As a very last resort, I might actually talk myself into this one.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page