Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ovechkin VS Crosby Salary Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  06:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua, one stat that you left out.
Ovechkin led the league in giveaways last year.
It is hard to compare these two players strictly on stats. Do you think a team of Ovechkin's would beat a team of Crosby's not a chance. ( I think a team of Datsyuk's would beat them both)
You will see again come playoff time. It is quite a bit easier to shut down someone like Ovechkin than Crosby. In the regular season Ovechkin will get his points. Come playoff time I will take Crosby
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  09:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about that giveaway stat. Wasn't listed on NHL.com. I dont buy that Crosby makes everyone better on his team than Ovechkin does. Backstroms, Green, Laich hell even Pottier stats are all elevated because the play on a line at some point with Ovechkin. And you can tell me even an offensively talented guy like Semin doesn't benefit because most teams cant cover both players. The only clear cut advantage I see for Crosby is the fact he has a more rounded Defensive game. I might agree with you if you said by leading by example and having his team play a more defensively sound game, Crosby makes his teamates better.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  10:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin increases people's stats ONLY when he scores. Crosby elevates the level of play of the people he is with AND increases their stats.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4882
( )

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  20:28:44  Reply with Quote
ovechkin is the most exciting and dynamic player the nhl has seen in years. who else impressed people in their rookie season like he did, one guy, pavel bure. ovechkin loves the game and you can see that in his play. hes talented, big, strong, basically a one man wrecking crew.
im not russian, but they are the greatest players in the world(as individuals)
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  09:40:58  Reply with Quote
Ovie has himself restricted for 13 years...so stupid...imagine how he will feel when crosbies 5 years are up, only in his ultimate prime, and he gets 12 million or more per season, Ovie will realize his mistake..
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Posted - 02/22/2010 : 09:40:58 Ovie has himself restricted for 13 years...so stupid...imagine how he will feel when crosbies 5 years are up, only in his ultimate prime, and he gets 12 million or more per season, Ovie will realize his mistake..

by Guest2211

I don't see Ovechkin regretting this deal, at all. Yes, if individual max salaries continue to rise, Ovechkin will fall behind Crosby (and perhaps others, as time goes on), however...

We can't predict the future, neither can Ovie. Salaries could gradually drop, due to league/average team revenues dropping. And, Ovie will be locked in at that rate. So if the max becomes $8.5 Million (as an example), they can't turn around and say Ovechkin has to take that. He's locked in at his $9+ Mil per year.

I doubt the player max will ever drop to that, but it can happen. And Ovie is secured.

The main thing though, is injury. Ovechkin plays a fairly wreckless style of hockey. He plays physical, hits whatever moves. Throwing his body around at such a high rate, day in, day out can take a tole on any player. And, injuries just happen. No matter how you play.

Ovechkin could have a career ending injury tomorrow, but he's locked in for a nice pay cheque for the next 12 years regardless. Something, not many players are guarunteed.

I don't see him regretting it. He's making a lot of money, for years to come. No matter what. $124M is nothing to sneeze at, regardless if he could be making more down the road.

So many factors...

Max per player drops,
Injury,
Ovechkin slows down for a couple of years, reducing his value,
etc.. etc..

This way, he is guarunteed.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  22:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic is embarassingly terrible. For all the idiots praising Crosby for taking slightly less than the max, let's remember all the extra endorsement dollars he makes off of the ice. I'm guessing its twice or three times anyone else in the league, even #8. What does he care if he loses a million or two from the Pens, if he can win more cups/be on more reebok ads and do more crappy Tim Hortons commercials? Geez.

Who is worth more? I'd give either player the max for as long as I could and be happy about it. I think Ovechkin's contract is better for Wash, since they locked him up forever, and salaries tend to rise over time.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  00:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh,

If you believe the topic I created is "embarassingly" terrible, please tell me why it is you took the time out of your day to

A) Read it
B) Reply to it

I'd love to know, since you know, it's not worth the time and all. Yet, you took it.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  09:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just see a wave of ignorance on both sides. I don't really see why you are so concerned why I do things. I certainly didn't read the entire thing- once I saw the level of responses. I am no longer allowed to comment positively or negateively on threads anymore? Next time stay on your high horse and ignore my comments if they offend you so.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, please don't get into the personal comments.

Don't forget :

RESPECT! - Please respect your fellow members. Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated. Personal attacks are not tolerated. Offending content will be removed and a warning will be issued. Repeat offenses can lead to a site ban.

JUST LET IT FADE AWAY - If you simply don’t like a topic, just don’t reply to it. If enough people don’t like it, it will just fade away. Don’t tell the person that you think it is “stupid” or words to that effect. Please just let it go. If you don’t understand a topic or it is not really clear. Simply, be polite and ask the owner to explain what they mean. If one person has already asked for clarification then please don’t ask again. We don’t need 6 people asking the same thing. If they do not come back and fix it or clarify their point then just let the topic fade away. Or a Moderator will remove it after giving them time to correct it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5807
( )

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  13:25:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

... All that Crosby is is a playmaker, not so much of a goal scorer he'll never have a 50 goal season...

You should edit that statement. Change it to him never having a 52 goal season. Then if he hits that just change it again.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  04:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, as a poster and moderator, it is the absolute pinnacle of irony and great comedy to me when a poster complains about a topic and yet takes the time to reply to it.

High horse indeed! Classic, lol.

Next time, if the topic is so nauseating, stay away from it! I never reply to topics I find idiotic, and usually, they die.

To the topic: I think Crosby is showing everyone why all the hype was there in the first place when he first came into the league and got all the deals - but even then, I'd be surprised if anyone could have guessed he'd be this great.

The king's crown is definitely on Crosby's head this year, IMHO. He is worth every penny to the Pens and more.

Still, the Pens could just as easily get knocked out in the 3rd round by the Caps, even if Ovechkin is held to a few points and Crosby dominates as he is doing. Let's just all hope they both make it to that showdown, hmm?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6616
( )

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  17:39:09  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

I heard that Ovechkin negotiated his own contract. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Go to Top of Page

Guest6616
( )

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  17:51:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9052

You say crosby is the face of the NHL. Its true in Canada but there is a reason for that Crosby is Canadian

I wish Crosby was not Canadian. He does not represent us. Canadian hockey players do not whine at every whistle. We do not dive, we play the game with pride and nobility. Something Crosby has not learned yet.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

youre completely right,canadians are tough as nails
Go to Top of Page

Guest6729
( )

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  18:00:39  Reply with Quote
how did this go from ovechkin vs crosbys salary to who's the better player?

They both deserve the same amount, the NHL isn't dead anymore because of them, so lets stop comparing them and start thanking them. I wouldn't be surprised if their friends outside all this media bull. Specially after that surprising commercial they made together.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9660
( )

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:57:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9840

Another point that should be mentioned is the timing. Ovechkin had Crosby's salary as a benchmark from which to start negotiations, naturally he's going to go up. If Ovechkin made the deal first, he might only be making 8.7m a season and then Crosby could've negoiated for 9m (or whatever).

Go to Top of Page

Guest4267
( )

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  16:26:19  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9420

ovechkin should be making more and crosby is not the face of the nhl ovechkin is the best there is and that is theway it is going to be for the next 13+ years.
Yes crosby is good but ovechkin is the best next to Wayne Gretzky.
you people dont evenhve to fight this topics so ovechkin is the best and is the way it is going to be

ovechkin rules the world

GO Alex Ovechkin

die hard Ovechkin fan you hate it that crosby is better than Ovie
Go to Top of Page

Guest2692
( )

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  12:15:46  Reply with Quote
well it use to be the best scorer vs the best playmaker, now it is the guy who cant score vs the guy who cant play.

Today you gotta take Ovechkin and it isnt even close
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page