Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 O, Canada - Poll Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
With July 1st come and gone, which Canadian team do you think had the best showing?

Choices:

Montreal Canadians (Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek)
Toronto Maple Leafs (Komisarek, Orr, Exelby, Stuart)
Ottawa Senators (resigned Chris Neil)
Vancouver Canucks (resigned Sedin Twins)
Calgary Flames (Bouwmeester, Sjostrom, resigned Moss, Pardy)
Edmonton Oilers (Khabibulin, resigned Strudwick)

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I would have liked a solid scorer to come in, have to be happy with the toughness Burke brought in.

After Belak left (no thanks to Fletcher), there was no one of the Leafs squad for opposing players to be afraid of. Now that we've added Orr, Exelby and Komisarek, opposing players will think twice before taking runs at Blake, Grabovski etc.

I think our forwards will be more productive this year simply because teams won't be man-handling them.

Solid pick ups.

As for Montreal, big names, but an overpaid under achiever in Gomez, Gionta had a contract year last year, he'll have no more then 50 points this year, Gill is a beast, Spacek, contract year. Cammelleri will have around 65-70 points (not playing with Iginla and Jokinen anymore).

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  21:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the signing of Pardy is underrated. This guy can throw his weight around alot. I've had the privledge of watching him play here in Cape Breton through junior and this kid is really coming along.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  22:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I think the signing of Pardy is underrated. This guy can throw his weight around alot. I've had the privledge of watching him play here in Cape Breton through junior and this kid is really coming along.

Gotta agree. He is one of the most underrated defensemen. He has alot of defensive talent and hes solid offensively but cant do anything special. He could work a bit on his agility and his hands.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  08:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, it's clearly Calgary. Adding Bouwmeester to an already sick defense is wicked good. I still think they need some help scoring or some luck with some player having career years, but who's to say. They just might grind out more than their 40 - 1 goal games a year. In the end, it only takes one more than the other team and it appears Sutter's built a team to stop that 1 goal rather than score it.

That being said, the UFA season is only 3 days old. There are still some impact players out there. Maybe not the huge names, but Tangauy, Kovalev, Lang, Koivu, Beauchemin, Bertuzzi(still good for 40 points), Peca, Kotalik, Goc, etc. Maybe not huge, team changing moves, but as I said above with Calgary, a little scoing insurance would be scary. Maybe they can pick someone up for that middle of the road contract and provide a bit more secondary scoring. There are many teams that made a big splash that could still use a move to shore up a position or two.

And there are still trades. Obviously, Edmonton announcing their Heatley deal(which looks done) tells the league they want a gamer and they are willing to give something in return. Vancouver should know by now that they can't win with the Sedin's alone so they will still shop. I don't think Burke is done either.

I think this question will be better answered part way through August rather than July 3rd!
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  10:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the Habs, hands down. People are pissing on Gomez saying he is overpaid and underproducing. Don't forget people, he was on the UFA graveyard known as the Rangers. He just didn't fit into their system like sooo many before him.

He WILL thrive with Jacques martin now behind the bench. I think Gomez exactly suits the style of play that Martin is known for. Then they go get a reunion going by getting Gionta, who's offensive talent is well known. Somebody said that Cammeleri's game is going to suffer not playing with Iginla, that maybe so but I don't see it being too bad having Gomez dishing off to him, he can score.

Gill needs to work on his skating, but his size alone does help and Spacek with Markov with the new players are going to be sick on the powerplay.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  05:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly think that montreal had the best showing.
These players that montreal signed are great but they will have to get paid an awful lot.

The only thing that affects montreal right now is there size.
They are starting to become a small team but hopefully in games they won't get injured.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page