Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Hockey pool top pick(s) poll Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  10:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Assuming Crosby and Ovechkin go 1st and 2nd overall, who would you pick if you held the 3rd choice?

Choices:

N. Backstrom
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
E. Malkin
S. Stamkos
I. Kovalchuk
Z. Parise
J. Thornton
M. Gaborik
Other (specify)

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  10:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To make sure this is clear, this would be in a standard hockey pool where you're awarded 1 pt for a goal or assist by all positional players and no goalies are to be drafted.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irrelevant. Any of the players listed would be fine picks. The hockey pool is not won in the 1st round. It is won in the mid to late rounds.

That being said, I would be cautious of the Henrik Sedin. It has been nearly a decade since there has been a repeat Art Ross winner.

Also, I personally like guys going into the final year of their contracts. Joe Thornton needs to prove something and I think he will have a standout year production wise.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  11:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really a tough choice but I went with Stamkos. Providing he'll be playing with St. Louis again I believe he will put up the same if not more points than last year. They have great chemistry and it'll only get stronger this season. He had 24 PPG's to lead the league last year and if he sees more time on the PP that total will only increase. He has one of the best one timers I've see in a long time. I'm also a believer that Stammy is going to be a contender for the Maurice Richard Trophy once again this season. Tampa IMO is a real dark horse this season.

Question...If Marty St. Louis is on Stamkos' right wing, who would you have from the current roster on his left wing? I'm thinking Gagne.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  12:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backstrom got my vote. Playing with OV is only a part of it. This guy is really good and should be a top5 scorer for years to come providing he avoids injury.

Although this may be irrelevant Beans, and i'd agree that any would be a good pick, i'm more curious to see who others think is next best in line to possibly sneak in and steal the Art Ross like Henrik did last season. I was very surprised to read in one hockey pool mag, that Daniel Sedin was pegged to be the top scorer this season? NHL.com's fantasy top 150 has Daniel at 12th and Henrik at 14th. Oddly, it says Henrik should top 100 pts again? NHL.com must be expecting a serious spike in scoring if it's picking the 14th overall scorer to be cracking 100!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0362
( )

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  22:35:30  Reply with Quote
I take H Sedin 3rd overall. Not only do I get him but possibly I set it up to get D Sedin in the second round on the way back. After that I could likely get a few others from Vancouver later on sinceif the best Vancouver players are gone, most people will find another team to monopolize. You could do the same with Kovalchuk and then Parise on the way back but I doubt he is around and I don't like their depth players as much to pick up cheap.
Backstrom is a good choice but I hate chearing for his linemate to do well to get my player points but not as many.
Thornton or Heatley are good picks as they could be both picked up in the first two rounds and depth players are outstanding
Getzlaf and Perry same as above
Stamkos and StLouis same as above
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  11:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On straight points, I say it's a dead heat between Thornton, Malkin, and both Sedins.

Luckily, I am running a goal heavy pool - 2 points for a goal, 1 for an assists, with extra points for hattricks, ot goals, sh goals. My #3 then would be Kovalchuk.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  15:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0362

I take H Sedin 3rd overall. Not only do I get him but possibly I set it up to get D Sedin in the second round on the way back. After that I could likely get a few others from Vancouver later on sinceif the best Vancouver players are gone, most people will find another team to monopolize. You could do the same with Kovalchuk and then Parise on the way back but I doubt he is around and I don't like their depth players as much to pick up cheap.
Backstrom is a good choice but I hate chearing for his linemate to do well to get my player points but not as many.
Thornton or Heatley are good picks as they could be both picked up in the first two rounds and depth players are outstanding
Getzlaf and Perry same as above
Stamkos and StLouis same as above

First off, i don't think you'd stand a chance to get Daniel "on the way back" (round 2) as his ppg was right behind Henriks. His injury is the only reason he wasn't up there with the top guys in points!
Second, your linemate / team mate thing makes more sense in playoff pools. Regular season pools, i rarely worry about loading up on a team as over the long haul of the season, the guys who're gonna get points get'em regardless!

Either way, if you're in a 10 team draft, little to zero chance of getting Daniel at pick # 18! If he's still there, i want in your pool!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  16:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had the 6th pick this year (first time i got a pick in the top 10 in my life) and i took Thornton and he would have been my pick as high as number too for 2 reasons as beans said contract year,,, and he is rarely injured imo he is as close to a sure thing as their is,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  16:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think that most of the guys listed are going to be gone first or very early 2nd round so unless your pool has 5 people, they will be gone.

You're only chance for a double up is if you snake drafting and you are a later pick. Then, and only then could you think of gettting your hands on a Thornton/Heatley type. However, I would suggest it would be more likely to get a Marleau/Heatley.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a pool with CAP HIT????

The pool my buds and I are doing this year will have a $35mil cap for 6F,3D,1Goalie.

In my pool, STAMKOS/PARISE will definitely be in third, with the lowest cap hits of any players listed above.

Although, like Beans said, the above is truly irrelevant, because either way, they are Fantasy GOLD.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  01:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

How about a pool with CAP HIT????

The pool my buds and I are doing this year will have a $35mil cap for 6F,3D,1Goalie.

In my pool, STAMKOS/PARISE will definitely be in third, with the lowest cap hits of any players listed above.

Although, like Beans said, the above is truly irrelevant, because either way, they are Fantasy GOLD.

Never done a "cap hit" pool. Sounds interesting, but is this like those one's you see in pool books? The ones where 100's of people potentially can go in it? Not big on those if that's what it is. It's like the "pick one guy in the box" pool. Fun, but not the most challenging pools really.

To be honest, my favorite is the auction pool. Takes some time and effort to organize a good one, but i have to say, most fun to attend (you have to have it really well organized) and most fun to participate in!
Go to Top of Page

shootscores
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to pick in the middle of the round so that I can get a top 5 player and hopefully catch another top 8 on the way back. If I am in a 10 man draft with no goalies I would say you could get a Thornton at 5 and Marleau or Heatley at 16.
If I am 3rd pick, I would pick H Sedin definitely
4th N Backstrom
5th D Sedin
6th E Malkin
7th Ilya Kovalchuk
8th Zach Parise
9th S Stamkos
10th P Kane
11th J Toews
12th R Getzlaf
13th H Zetterberg
14th P Kessel
15th C Perry
16th B Richards
17th D Heatley
18th M Gaborik
19th J Spezza
20th Last pick in the 2nd round would be Datsyuk, Staal, Cammalleri, St.Louis, Nash, M Richards, Kopitar, Stastny or Carter, all of which I see at the same value
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Really??

D.Sedin, P. Kessel, H. Zetterberg, B. Richards, Toews are all too high. Heatley, too low. Where is Marleau?? St. Louis and Datsuyk too low.

Let me know if you need any more people for your pool. If that the order if picks, I will comletely clean house!!
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  09:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Alex

I can't remember what a "pick one guy in the box" pool is. But in the pool I will be in, it'll be between 12-20 guys, depending on who shows up, and we just draft.

Usually, we had no cap restrictions, this year though, we will use their real cap values, and the team we pick can't go over 35Mil.

So, if you get Ovie, you are left with about 25Mil for 9players, or about 2.8mil per player.

It's fun in that you can have various drafting strategies, like always pick the best (albeit usually most expensive) player, and then just pick up cheap players at the end, or pick good deals (a la Stamkos) and leave the big cap hits nearer to the end.

But, I agree, Auction Drafts are the absolute most fun. I'm gonna push for that system next year.

Just how do you organize an auction draft well? (ie, is there a site which will do in person auctioning, not requiring everyone to have their own computer?)
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  10:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

PE....the "pick a guy in the box" style is like the free one here at PUH.com (admin will love me for the plug). Have you done that one? I actually won a Canucks jersey last year on this site! It's when there's a box with say 5 guys listed, you pick the one you think will do best? Usually upwards of 20 boxes with guys obviously classed together with others of the same potential. These are great pools for huge groups and especially for fundraisers where a portion goes to the charity / team running it. What i don't like about these is they're not personal. You don't get together and have a few beers and do your draft.

The cap pool you're doing sounds like a mix between a regular one and an auction style. Let me know how it goes, it sounds pretty interesting, only you'd have to have serious hockey fans as there's more strategy with managing your cap!

When i say the auction style takes time and effort, i mean, basically having it organized. There's a few different ways to do it. First one i went in, the top 250 projected players were placed in a box (written on small pieces of paper). They were then pulled out by the auctioneer and auctioned in that random order. The other way i've participated is where you display all the names which will be in the draft, say on a small piece of paper on the wall. Then, the participants take turns picking 2 or 3 players that will be auctioned. The organizing is more or less making sure you have all the players on papers in advance. We also have a large sheet on the wall for each participant and when you pick a guy, it's written on your team so others can see who you have and how much cash you have left (we limit it to $100 "auction dollars" and you have to pick 10 guys meaning if you have 10 bucks left and only 8 guys, the max you can bid is 9 bucks, saving a dollar for your last pick). Money management is very key and if you can have the most money left at the end with some good players still on the board, you can do well.

There's different strategies for these too. In the one where you're randomly drawing out of a hat, you really need to keep track of who's still in the mix! You need to keep tabs on who's got money left, who's got more than you and try to scoop up a guy who comes out late for a bargain. It's always fun to look back and see how much guys paid as there's always a handful of picks that were way overpaid and others who are a deal!

The one where you pick guys off the wall taking turns i like for playoff pools. I always go up and pick three studs off a team i figure won't go more than a round or two (insert Canucks jokes here). That way, i hope that others who like this particular team will overpay and thus reduce their cash for later!

Whew, you still with me?

I definitely recommend trying the auction style pool, it's been a lot of fun over the years!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  10:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Wow. Really??

D.Sedin, P. Kessel, H. Zetterberg, B. Richards, Toews are all too high. Heatley, too low. Where is Marleau?? St. Louis and Datsuyk too low.

Let me know if you need any more people for your pool. If that the order if picks, I will comletely clean house!!

Beans, and i'm not saying this as a Canucks fan, but if anyone's pegging Henrik at 3, Daniel prob shouldn't be too far behind. His ppg was crazy good last year trailing only OV and his bro (almost the same as Hank).
Have to agree, Toews is a little high, even though i do have one mag with him in the top 10 or 12, right at the same level as Kane? Then again, the same mag (i think) had Kopitar listed as the 3 pick? I know he started well last year and LA should be even better this year, but 3rd overall? I think i'll pass.
Kessel, def too high. When i first read the post and saw Henrik at 3 and Daniel at 5, i figured the "newbie" to be a Canucks fan. Then i saw where Kessel was ranked and was left to assume he's a Leaf fan?
What is it shootscores? You a Leaf fan? Either way, welcome to the site......

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daniel Sedin, even with this sick PPG last season is a 2nd round pick in most drafts. Until one has PPG through an entire season most poolies will wait.

For example, no one has Semin in their top round and he was pretty close to the same as Sedin. Granted, Sedin played 10 fewer games and produced the same points but both were over 80 points.

If Sedin is a 1st round pick, Semin has to be very close too, no??

Both will be picked very late 1st or early 2nd in most every pool I am in.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  12:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Daniel Sedin, even with this sick PPG last season is a 2nd round pick in most drafts. Until one has PPG through an entire season most poolies will wait.

For example, no one has Semin in their top round and he was pretty close to the same as Sedin. Granted, Sedin played 10 fewer games and produced the same points but both were over 80 points.

If Sedin is a 1st round pick, Semin has to be very close too, no??

Both will be picked very late 1st or early 2nd in most every pool I am in.

Semin's got a bit more of an "injury-prone" tag than Daniel. Last year's inj was Daniel's first as far as missing many games. Until last year, he'd played in no fewer than 79 games every season since his first when he played 75. After this past season's injury, who knows, maybe some will wait till round 2 for him but if he's not gone by the end of round 1 in a 10 team draft, i'd be surprised. Around here (Van), i bet he's gone no later than 6th or 7th in most drafts and prob top 5. Me, i prob won't take him, as i find hometown fans tend to get caught up in the hype and overvalue the locals. If he's available at 7 or later, i'd jump on him. Thing is, and again, i'm not sure if it's a local thing, the past few years of pools i've been in have seen the twins going high round 2. A few pools last year, they went to the same guy at 10th / 11th. Others grabbed the second of the pair "on the way back up" with their 2nd pick? To each their own, but i personally would take Daniel over Semin at this point, if for no other reason than durability.

Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  12:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, I'm wondering where Kovalchuk should be valued??? He's supposedly to be on Parise's front line.

Tell me that's not a scary line for opponent, as well as a poolie's dream?

Another question? Who's liable to center that line? Zajac? Because Zajac is usually picked (at his highest) as a low, low 2nd rounder, am I right.

I'm thinking that Zajac may move up in fantasy value this year if Kovalchuk and Parise are together with him on one line.

Maybe even worthy of a high second round pick??

Edited by - polishexpress on 09/30/2010 12:45:12
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  12:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

Now, I'm wondering where Kovalchuk should be valued??? He's supposedly to be on Parise's front line.

Tell me that's not a scary line for opponent, as well as a poolie's dream?

Another question? Who's liable to center that line? Zajac? Because Zajac is usually picked (at his highest) as a low, low 2nd rounder, am I right.

I'm thinking that Zajac may move up in fantasy value this year if Kovalchuk and Parise are together with him on one line.

Maybe even worthy of a high second round pick??

Zajac's almost certain to be that guy. He's played with Parise the past few seasons for the most part. I'd have to think he's gonna continue to improve his numbers regardless but playing with these guys certainly can't hurt!!!

Kovalchuk / Parise are both potential first rounders. It'll be interesting to see which one goes first in most pools? As i believe Beans stated earlier, it's not likely you'd get both as they'd prob both be drafted before the 2nd round.

I'd have to think Kovalchuk would go higher in a pool like Slozo's where goals are worth 2 although Parise is a bit of a sniper himself?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  14:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a goal heavy draft such as the one Slozo spoke about, Parise and Kovalchuk are both top 5 picks.

I would be wary of Zajac. Did his play improve over last season when Kovalchuk arrived??? I don't recall.

Further, I would suggest that most goals in the NHL (3 out of 5) have a defensemen with an assist.

In fact, most dynamic duo's in the NHL are not dynamic trio's for a reason. With the exception of Heatley/Marleau/Thorton, most 3rd wheels to a dynamic duo are 20ish point behind their line mates. Alex Burrows anyone??? Who played shotgun with St. Louis and Stamkos??

Don't blow your chances on flyers, especially 3rd wheels. Pick them in the right spot.

Edited by - Beans15 on 09/30/2010 14:20:46
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was draftee #6 in my keeper draft this year (10 people), and my first pick was Parise at #6 overall. I got very, very lucky and got Daniel Sedin as my second pick . . . and he could easily get me more points than Parise.

But I will tell you something - McKeen's hockey pool mag (the one I use religiously for the past three years, and it has won me lots of money) has Daniel Sedin winning the scoring race this year, if you can believe it (art ross). I consider it a bit of a wild pick (and don't necessarily agree with it), but we are living in unpredictable times . . .

Kovalchuk went #3 as expected, after Crosby and Ovie.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  22:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason i can see Sedin (Daniel) dropping to you in the second round is if it's a keeper draft, he is 30 this year? I know it's not old really but there are younger guys out there i suppose?

Just curious, when did guys like Hall, Eberle, Seguin, etc go? I've never been in a keeper draft and am wondering how early do people take "future stars"?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  04:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It IS a keeper draft, Alex, and it was the inaugural draft . . . so yeah, some interesting choices were made all around that will be the topic of hot debate.

First off, in a goal heavy pool like mine, Crosby was picked #1, Ovie #2. I look at his 51 goal season as a "one-off", probably like most of us . . . but there is a strong argument to be made about longevity, etc - and, the fact that I will be running a playoff pool where you can keep a few of the same players.

So yeah, from an age standpoint like you said - could be why Daniel fell to 13th overall (I made an error - 9 guys in our pool not 10) behind young guys like Stamkos (5), Tavares (8!!!), Toews (11), Mike Richards (12) and Kessel (21 overall . . . but we are in Toronto).

To me, Tavares really went too early . . . but it's all about projecting his point totals maybe a year or two away. I guess he thinks Tavares will get to the 35+ goals, 90 point region. Who knows?

PK Subban was taken round 7.
T.Hall was taken round 13.
Eberle, Bozak, round 14.
Seguin went round 16 only, which was a surprise.
I took Pajaarvi round 18 (see Beans? I do listen to you! )

They are all calculated risks. I mean, PK Subban could become the next Mike Green, and that guy will look like a genius . . . you just never really know.

That's what is fun about it!

Go to Top of Page

Guest9351
( )

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  08:12:17  Reply with Quote
Can you explain to me how a keeper pool works?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest.....i've never done one, but from what i know, you draft a certain number of players, let's say 15, and at the end of each season, you're allowed to protect a certain number and "keep" them for next season! I've heard of drafts where you keep most, others where you can only protect a few? It varies.....

Slozo, i did catch that it is a keeper draft, maybe my wording came off miscued but that's exactly what i was getting at with D. Sedin (his age). Prob the reason he went when he did. EIther way, still a pretty good pickup.

Some surprises for sure in there, however, i'm more surprised how late a guy like Hall went than i am how early Tavares went!

I'm surprised Ovie wasn't #1. Were you implying his health could be a concern (longevity)? If so, i can see that, but i'd prob have taken him at #1 and taken my chances. I see Crosby as a 45 goal scorer and Ovie at 55 (avg). That's a 20pt swing in your pool. Not to mention, if Ovie can settle himself down a bit and avoid the suspensions, he also will likely out point him overall. Really though, at their ages, i'm sure the guys who got them are happy they got either of them!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A "keeper" pool indicates that after the end of the season you have your pool for (regular season or playoffs), that you get to keep a certain number of players that you have from that team and have them for the next year's team as well.

So, a lot of high draft picks this year will be held on to for a long time, or until their returns start to really dwindle. At the same time, some people pick a guy like Tavares early in the initial draft, hoping he will be the next Stamkos. Guys pck totally unproven high rookie drafts (Hall, Seguin, etc) hoping they will fulfill a promise of whatever round they were picked in or more. Sometimes it works out, sometimes no . . . it's a risk when it's not an Ovechkin or Crosby being drafted (someone you know will be very good).

And when next year's draft starts, you still have to draft to fill up the spaces you have empty (most have specific rules for what is the maximimum and minimum # of players you can keep) and it goes as a snake draft, with whoever finished at the bottom last year picking first - from all the unpicked players, rookies, etc.

And when you don't want to be in the pool anymore, you get a replacement . . . and if someone joins, they get some special picking dispensation to compensate coming late to the party.

etc

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex - I agree, I would have taken Ovechkin hands down, I was shocked at his #1 pick. I still would have taken Crosby second, seeing as how after last year we try thinking of him as a 40 goal scorer on average at this point . . . so, no different than Kovalchuk, except with many more assists.

I thought even Henrik being taken 5th was a bit of a flyer, frankly. He is at the apex of his career IMHO, and won't likely score much more than 30 ever in his career (his career high was last year's 29). Daniel, on the other hand, has scored 36 and could potentiall get 40 goals at some point, along with the 50 assists he gets with regularity. That's a difference of at least ten goals or so, twenty points difference which would put them even almost in my pool - except that all the extra points in pool for goals (o/t, s/h, hattricks) would put Daniel over the top.

Myself, I'd rate them about even, giving Daniel the slight edge in my pool.

And I'd take a guy like Heatley or Kessel or Parise before them as well, just for the potential to score 50 at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo......assuming that this keeper pool you're in is with a somewhat trustworthy group, i pretty much agree with everything you just posted. What i mean is, i would need to know that this pool is going to carry on for the next 10+ years to make value of some of the young guy's i'd pick! If i was at all worried the pool would fizzle out and die in a couple years, i'd take D. Sedin before some of those guys you mentioned! Guess you have to trust your buddies to keep it going, even if it means having new guys brought in to take over "franchises".

Kessel over Sedin may sound strange, and it certainly would be for the next couple years, but he's about 8 years younger than D. Sedin (who i'd def take over his bro in a 2pt for goals pool) and therefore prob more valuable in the long run! For non-Leaf fans, those who will think i'm crazy for saying that, keep in mind, he may not be a Leaf when his contract comes up? Or, the Leafs could be a top team by then?

In a pool that rewards goals like yours, Daniel would clearly be the Sedin to pick, IMO. When healthy, which the twins have been for the most part until Daniel's inj last year, they score similiar numbers as far as points go each year. The double points for the extra goals and the bonuses for hattricks and other goals would make Daniel much more valuable as far as i'm concerned!!

What pick did you get Slozo, and who'd you go with???
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was #6 seed.

1-Parise
2-D.Sedin
3-Keith
4-Carter
5-Hossa
6-Greene (plus/minus counts for d-men, btw)
7-Eriksson
8-Vanek
9-Myers
10-Niemi
11-Gagne
12-Boyes
13-Seidenberg
14-Bozak (a bit high, but I wanted a Leaf, and I think he's got great potential
15- Krejci
16-Turco
17 - Goligoski
18-Paajarvi
19-Wideman
20-Havlat
21-Theodore
22-Carle
23-Hamhuis
24-Kane (Evander)
25-Kulemin (needed another Leaf! But has potential . . .)

btw . . . just remembered an argument Beans and I had. Seems I wasn't the only one who thought as I did! Gaborik only went in the third round (just before I picked).

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  16:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good picks in there, but that's coming from a guy who doesn't know the in's and out's of your draft. Does +/- only count for dmen?

BTW, Kulemin as your last pick, i'd consider a very good pick. I think he's gonna be a good one, but it may take a couple years. That's where it'll get tough. If you only can protect 15 guys, he'll have to show some promise or you'll find yourself having to repick him next year, and so on, and hope he doesn't get snagged before you get him! That's part of the fun in these things!
Go to Top of Page

shootscores
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  22:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans says:
In our pool we have a lot of Leaf, Flyer, and Detroit fans so they all take Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Richards in the first round no matter how much sense it makes and Toronto players usually go around #9 or so (Kessel). I love getting St. Louis in my pool but usually around the 20 - 25 range. I took him in the 11 range one year and got crushed because he got hurt so anyone that wants to take a chance on him that high they can have him. Marleau is top 30 for sure but questionable to me in top 20.

I am a Habs fan so as you can see I can't very well go with any Habs in the first couple of rounds. As a Habs fan I naturally hate the Leafs but Kessel is going to be in on 80% of the Leafs goals so that should get him 90 points but I hope it is more like 50.LOL
Somebody in our pool actually got both Sedins in our pool and we laughed at him but he ended up 2nd overall. I had Ovechkin 1st and Backstrom 20th and St. Louis 21st. I also stole the pool later on with Kopitar, Rick Nash, Huselius, Rene Bourque, Plekanic, Dustin Brown, Patrick Hornqvist, Pronger, Arnott, Prospal, Pavelski, Stamkos, Byfuglien, Dan Boyle

I decided to run a pool this year that is a little different. I eliminate 40 of the top point getters and you have to pick the next 30 top scorers this year. 1 pt for goal. 1pt for assist. No limit to forwards or defense, just pick 30 players
Here are the 40 players not allowed to pick:
Getzlaf Perry Staal Nash Iginla Kane Toews Stastny Richards Eriksson Datsyuk Zetterberg Kopitar M Koivu Cammalleri Plekanek Zajac Kovalchuk Parise Gaborik Spezza Alfredsson M Richards Carter Wolski Crosby Malkin Thornton Heatley Marleau St. Louis Stamkos Lecavalier Kessel H Sedin D Sedin A Ovechkin N Backstrom Semin Green

I know everyone can think of a few players should be on the list but everyone seems interested in the pool. Anyone want to give their expertise to this style pool?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  00:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex - yes, +/- only counts for d-men in my pool. brings up their potential point totals closer to the forwards.

I actually think Kulemin is about right there . . . may even be too hopeful - potential for 25 goals and 55 points, but hasn't been there yet. I considered Carle and Hamhuis steals in those late rounds, as well as getting Havlat in the 20th (as long as he stays healthy!).

I also didn't explain an important part of the set-up in my pool:
Final Standings takes the top 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies . . . which gives everyone 5 extra picks of their choosing. This takes away bad seasons and injuries as factors for the most part, and gives a little leeway in picking a prospect or two that may not work out.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo....sounds like a pretty good pool. I always like one's where an injury to a key guy doesn't always spell doom. I go i'm in one every year where we meet monthly and drop and pick up guys. Seen guys in dead last in Dec win the pool in the end! Keeps everyone interested!

Any pool with a group of 10-15 where you pick your team and that's it for the year, i always suggest picking another player or two that can be used in case of injury!

Shootscores.....need more details. Also, as a new poster here, no offense, but can i trust you? How much is your pool?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  03:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it's a good pool, Alex . . . I am the one made it and is running it!

Go to Top of Page

Guest6685
( )

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  05:33:27  Reply with Quote
I actually had the 3rd pick and took geno machino!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0362
( )

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  07:15:02  Reply with Quote
Went in a draft last night and this is the order of top two rounds (22)
1 Ovechkin (me)
2 Crosby
3 Malkin
4 Backstrom
5 H Sedin
6 D Sedin
7 P Kane
8 Stamkos
9 Thornton
10 M Richards (Flyers fan)
11 Toews -end of 1st round
12 Kovalchuk
13 Kopitar
14 Heatley
15 Parise
16 Greene - must have 2 defense in counting roster
17 St. Louis
18 B Richards
19 Semin
20 Datsyuk
21 Nash
22 Getzlaf (me)
the rest of my picks which I think are interesting, not sure if good or bad, are
3rd rd Perry 4th Doughty 5th Keith 6th Vanek 7th Samuelsson 8th Frolov 9th Gionta 10th Michalek (Ott) 11thFleischman 12th Raymond 13th hall 14th Benn 15th Ruutu (Car) 16th A Kostitsyn 17th Eberle 18th Recchi 19th Horcoff 20th Paajarvi-Svensson.
I went for a lot of players with upside especially with my later rounds. Interested in what people have to think since I am kind of new to this. My guess is I either clean up or bust. I didn't think I would ever choose that many Oilers going into the pool.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0362
( )

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  07:23:58  Reply with Quote
Alex116 says
Shootscores.....need more details. Also, as a new poster here, no offense, but can i trust you? How much is your pool?

I didn't actually put this pool idea on here to get people in my pool, I just wanted feedback as to the idea of it. It is just a pool for the guys at work and some friends (no offense). I find a lot of the guys around here know or follow 1 or 2 teams and know nothing about the rest of the teams or they know the top couple of players on most teams and nothing about the other 20 on each team. This pool makes you do a little homework on the entire league and makes you want to stay up and watch the late game from out west to follow your players that would not be in the spotlight otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0362

Alex116 says

I didn't actually put this pool idea on here to get people in my pool, I just wanted feedback as to the idea of it. It is just a pool for the guys at work and some friends (no offense). I find a lot of the guys around here know or follow 1 or 2 teams and know nothing about the rest of the teams or they know the top couple of players on most teams and nothing about the other 20 on each team. This pool makes you do a little homework on the entire league and makes you want to stay up and watch the late game from out west to follow your players that would not be in the spotlight otherwise.

No offense taken, i misinterpretted your wording, no biggie. Funny, someone mentioned a pool last night to me that is pretty much the same as the one you are doing! Cool idea, but really, you're only taking out 3 or 4 top players per drafting team and those generally, aside from injuries, should balance out somewhat anyway? I'd prefer to simply do a deeper draft where you get into the rookies a little more as well as the guys who rarely get drafted. Trick there is to find the hidden gems!

Either way, keep us posted on how it works out. I'd be interested to hear who the top 5 were?
Go to Top of Page

Guest5806
( )

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  17:31:22  Reply with Quote
why wouldn't you pick malkin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page