Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2013 off-season...the most interesting in history? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  10:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could this be the most interesting off-season ever? with the salary cap coming down, and teams being given the golden opportunity to rid themselves of those mega-contracts, i think this is shaping up to be the most interesting off-season in NHL's history.

stories are already flying around about certain players being bought out. Briere's already been told, and others are likely to follow soon after the Cup is won. other potentials are B. Richards, Lecavalier, Bryzgalov, and Komisarek just to name a few.

some teams will need to make some moves in order to get themselves within the cap limit. one of those is Philly. by signing Streit they will certainly need to move some players to lower their salary level.

also sounds as though plenty of goalies will be on the move as well. Bernier's already making headlines. the Luongo rumours never go away. and it sounds as though Buffalo may want to part way's with Miller.

and of course with some teams locking up their top-tier players to lucrative long-term deals, rumours are flying that these teams will be looking to shed some salaries as part of their longer term plans. Pittsburgh and Anaheim are two that are being talked about today.

so let's put it out to the PUH public? what do you think will be the biggest move this summer? the boldest? which team will make the biggest splash? it's on the table people, let's hear it all!!

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  13:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Tampa really considering paying to walk away from his contract. I thought they were in a cash poor position. Doesnt seem smart on there part. Would seem wise to find a potential trade partner and swallow anothers mistake at a lessor value than lose that much money when they are cash poor. Here is a holy crap Batman scenerio, Horcoff straight up for Lecavelier. Edmonton has the cap space for Lecavelier and he has more upside than Horcoff, Horcoff is paid at lower than his cap hit at $7 million over the next 2 seasons of a cap hit at $5.5 million per season or $11 in the next 2 years and would finally get a fresh start.

http://capgeek.com/lightning/

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  13:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Is Tampa really considering paying to walk away from his contract. I thought they were in a cash poor position. Doesnt seem smart on there part. Would seem wise to find a potential trade partner and swallow anothers mistake at a lessor value than lose that much money when they are cash poor. Here is a holy crap Batman scenerio, Horcoff straight up for Lecavelier. Edmonton has the cap space for Lecavelier and he has more upside than Horcoff, Horcoff is paid at lower than his cap hit at $7 million over the next 2 seasons of a cap hit at $5.5 million per season or $11 in the next 2 years and would finally get a fresh start.

http://capgeek.com/lightning/

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

I agree. The reality is, only a few teams have the financial ability to buy out big contracts, and I don't think that the TB owners are among those rich enough to do so - especially for Lecavalier, who would cost 2.1M in each of the next 14 years (30M total). I think that Lecavalier is trade-able, albeit as a salary dump

However, among teams that can afford it, it should be interesting. Richards, Bryz, possibly Luongo would all be highly coveted UFA's if the buyout route were taken. Their availability would shake up a lot of team plans.

There will also be a fair bit of trading going on as well, as teams that have looming cap issues (VAN, CHI, PHI, BOS, PIT, NYR) have the need to re-sign valuable players in a limited cap world over the next couple of seasons.

And then on top of THAT - the list of already-UFA players is pretty tantalizing - Ribeiro, Dupuis, Elias, Iginla, Morrow.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  14:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was talk on the radio today about a possible deal where Van sends Luongo to NYI for Dipietro (and ?) and the Canucks then buyout Dipietro? Not sure about the source but it was speculated. Vancouver was said to be interested in Nino Niederreiter as well. He's already indicated he no longer wants to be a part of the Islanders (dates back to last year) and has now apparently told the team he's not planning on attending rookie or prospect camps. He's a big bodied winger who's tough to play against who also possesses some finish around the net! Not sure if the Canucks can land him as he's sure to fetch some interest from multiple teams, but he'd be a nice fit by the sounds of it!

As far as big moves, i heard there's at least 5 teams interested in Bernier (reported to be Toronto, Minny, NYI, Florida and one other which slipped my mind? Be intereting to see what is fetched by a guy who's yet to have a realy good chance at proving he's capable of being a full time #1.

My guess is, Toronto's gonna make a big move or two. I could see them going hard after Bernier AND possibly Bobby Ryan as well, who's name is near the top of the list of guys rumoured to be moved.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man the Flyers will be kicking themselves if the Penguins end up moving Letang after they already signed Streit.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the front-running suitors for Bernier are the Leafs and.......Philly. Of course. One day they will find the second coming of Bernie Parent, or Ron Hextall, or Pelle Lindberg, or Wayne Stephenson, or whatever.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  21:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every1 knew the cap was lowering this season. If tampa wanted to move V. lecav.........why didn`t they do it at last seasons trade deadline ??... they were out of the playoff picture....doesn`t make sense to buy him out

I think the leafs will move either J. Gardiner or M. Rilley......( don`t eat my head off leaf fans )...i don`t want to see either go but if they want a young 1st line center.....how else can they get one ??.......the only way they will receive quality is to give quality up......the leafs need a younger 1st line center more-so than 2 young puck moving defenseman.

I know 1 thing, this new salary cap ain`t gonna help Van. move Luongo.........NYI someone said ??...don`t forget he has a no - trade clause......Van was so stupid not to close that deal with Tor

Yes Gipper it certainly is going to be an interesting summer.

Hope the leafs get David Clarkson

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  22:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Every1 knew the cap was lowering this season. If tampa wanted to move V. lecav.........why didn`t they do it at last seasons trade deadline ??... they were out of the playoff picture....doesn`t make sense to buy him out

I think the leafs will move either J. Gardiner or M. Rilley......( don`t eat my head off leaf fans )...i don`t want to see either go but if they want a young 1st line center.....how else can they get one ??.......the only way they will receive quality is to give quality up......the leafs need a younger 1st line center more-so than 2 young puck moving defenseman.

I know 1 thing, this new salary cap ain`t gonna help Van. move Luongo.........NYI someone said ??...don`t forget he has a no - trade clause......Van was so stupid not to close that deal with Tor

Yes Gipper it certainly is going to be an interesting summer.

Hope the leafs get David Clarkson

Interesting point about Gardiner and Reilly. I too could see it happening, though i'm sure they'll do their best to not have to deal either!
As for Luongo and his NTC. At this point, I think he'd be willing to go pretty much anywhere he's going to be the starter! Only my opinion, but that's the general opinion around town and it's been discussed at length on the local airwaves.

As far as Clarkson goes, I too hope the Leafs land him. Why? Because I think whoever does, is gonna overpay.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

My guess is, Toronto's gonna make a big move or two. I could see them going hard after Bernier AND possibly Bobby Ryan as well, who's name is near the top of the list of guys rumoured to be moved.

the Leafs and Bernier rumours are all over the papers thanks to Kypreos and his Twitter account (he also mentioned Philly as a possible destination). not sure how much stock we can put into that one. stats wise Bernier and Reimer are almost identical, so i'm not sure how this would be an upgrade for Toronto. if Toronto is going to give up assets it may as well be for a position in which we're looking for an upgrade......like center and defence.
as for Ryan, i don't see why Toronto would be interested in acquiring him. we already have scoring wingers in Kessel, JVR, and Lupul. we don't need another winger. we need a center. i can see Ryan being moved, but not to Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i think it's too early to move both these guys. the bane of Leafs history has always been moving young talent before seeing them play first. this would be a typical example of that. i'd only move either of these two if it was part of a package to get a no. 1 young stud center. otherwise, for now, they're both untouchable.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

quote:

the Leafs and Bernier rumours are all over the papers thanks to Kypreos and his Twitter account (he also mentioned Philly as a possible destination). not sure how much stock we can put into that one. stats wise Bernier and Reimer are almost identical, so i'm not sure how this would be an upgrade for Toronto. if Toronto is going to give up assets it may as well be for a position in which we're looking for an upgrade......like center and defence.
as for Ryan, i don't see why Toronto would be interested in acquiring him. we already have scoring wingers in Kessel, JVR, and Lupul. we don't need another winger. we need a center. i can see Ryan being moved, but not to Toronto.

Bernier to Toronto would be solid insurance, if (and probably when) Reimer is out for any length of time due to injuries, which have plagued his otherwise bright career. It's a solid move, and one where they might be "selling high" on Scrivens . . . depending on how good you think he might really become.

But I certainly don't think the Leafs will be the biggest splash . . . it'll be hard to predict who will, but it might be a team like Calgary, looking for a new identity with a new star player or two. How they would go about acquiring that I'm not sure, but I see the possibility of one, if not two big names going there.

I think the Flyers getting Streit is an amazing move, better than Letang IMHO. He's better defensively, and I think Letang's numbers are very inflated in Pittsburgh's system. Letang is a great player, don't get me wrong; but I think we will really see how good Streit is by mid next season when he is getting used to his teammates. One of the most underrated players in the NHL, easily.

Luongo might get his Florida wish.
Briere is leaving Philly, it would seem (going west is my guess).
Clarkson will probably go to the Leafs.
Where Ribeiro signs is anyone's guess.

I don't know who will acquire the most big name players, but I have one easy guess for who will lose the most: Pittsburgh.
Iginla, Morrow, Letang, all likely gone . . . if any of them remain, might just be Morrow.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  07:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main shortcoming there is that Streit is nearly a decade older than Letang. Also I don't think the Flyers were thinking about defense in signing Streit - it was a puck moving dman they wanted.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  08:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Bernier to Toronto would be solid insurance, if (and probably when) Reimer is out for any length of time due to injuries, which have plagued his otherwise bright career. It's a solid move, and one where they might be "selling high" on Scrivens . . . depending on how good you think he might really become.

IMO, i don't see anyone getting Bernier as "insurance". I suppose if he's given a shot at winning the #1 spot and he doesn't "win" it, then he has to live with that, but he's obviously looking to move somewhere to be a #1, not just to be a backup or "insurance" in another location!

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

But I certainly don't think the Leafs will be the biggest splash . . . it'll be hard to predict who will, but it might be a team like Calgary, looking for a new identity with a new star player or two. How they would go about acquiring that I'm not sure, but I see the possibility of one, if not two big names going there.

Interesting. I just heard yesterday that Calgary had made an attempt to trade up for Colorado's pick (#1). Not sure if this is fact or just a rumour but it was being floated around.

Still not sure about Luongo. Florida has Markstrom, who may not be ready for full time duty today, but will be LONG before Lu's contract is even close to being done so i don't see how they'd be all that interested?
As for Iggy, what do you think he ends up doing? I still think he's gonna re-sign in Pittsburgh for another shot at playing with Crosby/Malkin and a possible cup run. He'll def be signing for cheaper than he could get elsewhere but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Pitt.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  08:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calgary has been trying to move into the top 3 but none of those teams are interested in a trade or the price is far too high. I heard COL said it would take a pick in the top 10, another early in the 2nd round, and a legit prospect from a previous 1st round to get the #1 pick. Pretty steep price.

I see the Oilers moving some things but no huge trades. The Lecavalier/Horcoff thing would be awesome but I don't see it happening. I see the Oilers getting bigger up front and looking for role players with heart. I would't be surprised to see the Oilers make a play at a UFA defensemen like Murray, Gilroy, or White. I don't think there is a legit top pairing guy available via UFA but those guys would shore up the top 4 and replace Whitney who I don't think will be back. For some reason I also think the Oilers will make a play for Iginla but I doubt the Oilers are far enough along in their development for that to make sense.

As far as some of the rumors, I don't put much stock in rumors in the NHL anymore. Sure, Bernier will be going somewhere but it will be to at least compete for a #1 spot. If he wants to stay as a back up, why would he leave the Kings to go to a team like the Leafs. No disrespect but that doesn't make sense.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lecavalier-type trades are rarely done at the trade deadline. Teams don't acquire gigantic contracts as a deadline quick-fix, and those are more often done in the summer. I expect he'll be moved this off-season.

As for Luongo - his seasonal cap hit was never a concern. A 5.33M in cap hit for your workhorse starting goalie is very reasonable in the NHL today with a 64M cap.
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on the Bernier front, i could see him going to a place like Minnesota, leaving Backstrom free to go wherever he wants.

would Backstrom be high on the Oilers target list, for example? or maybe a place like Phoenix where Smith is probably all but gone.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  14:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a three-way deal involving Van, TB, and the Oil. We will take Vinny, the Bolts take BobbyLu back to his real home state, and Van city can have Horcoff to help with their.....ummm...screw it. Take Hemsky too.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  15:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

How about a three-way deal involving Van, TB, and the Oil. We will take Vinny, the Bolts take BobbyLu back to his real home state, and Van city can have Horcoff to help with their.....ummm...screw it. Take Hemsky too.

Love this post. Can someone please forward to the braintrust in Edmonton, Vancouver and Tampa. They will all likely dismiss this as too much work to do and do nothing instead, but at least it would sell some season tickets if the possibility gets leaked to the newspapers.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  15:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I see the Oilers moving some things but no huge trades. The Lecavalier/Horcoff thing would be awesome but I don't see it happening. I see the Oilers getting bigger up front and looking for role players with heart.

Question, thats how I see Lecavelier? Has there ever been a rumour of Lacavelier coming to Edmonton in any scenerio?

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  18:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Briere has been informed he will be 1 of the players they choose to buyout. I went to look at his current salary and its $3 million for 2013/2014 year and $2 million for 2014/2015. Is Philly not able to find a buyer who wants the cap hit at $6.5 mill per season but paid ath $3 mill this year and $2 mill next year? Isn't he a $2-3 mill a year player still. This is making me feel old as he is exactly 2 months older than I am, still has a .5 ppg game pace with almost a ppg record in the playoffs. I would hope before the buyout is official, which is only after the last game of the stanely cup, if there is a team that isn't likely to spend to the cap next year and could use a players who's cap hit is higher than his actual salary, they might receive a call.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 06/20/2013 19:08:37
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  21:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, now that the Oil have Eakins and his inside knowledge of the leafs young D men....look for a edm / tor trade....Tor d-man going to the oil for a forward.....bet on it.

I think u may see a 4 player swap.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  21:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Briere has been informed he will be 1 of the players they choose to buyout. I went to look at his current salary and its $3 million for 2013/2014 year and $2 million for 2014/2015. Is Philly not able to find a buyer who wants the cap hit at $6.5 mill per season but paid ath $3 mill this year and $2 mill next year? Isn't he a $2-3 mill a year player still. This is making me feel old as he is exactly 2 months older than I am, still has a .5 ppg game pace with almost a ppg record in the playoffs. I would hope before the buyout is official, which is only after the last game of the stanely cup, if there is a team that isn't likely to spend to the cap next year and could use a players who's cap hit is higher than his actual salary, they might receive a call.

They may be going the buyout option because a) he will not waive his NMC, or b) there is a risk of early retirement

There are several players out there that fall under the Luongo rule, and I believe that Briere would be one of them. PHI has saved 8M in cap hit over the life of his deal so far. Were he to retire now, PHI would take a cap penalty of 4M in each of the next 2 seasons. They simply cannot afford that - hence the relatively cheap buyout option for them.

Edited by - nuxfan on 06/20/2013 21:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  21:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Calgary has been trying to move into the top 3 but none of those teams are interested in a trade or the price is far too high. I heard COL said it would take a pick in the top 10, another early in the 2nd round, and a legit prospect from a previous 1st round to get the #1 pick. Pretty steep price.

Is that really that steep??? Calgary picks 6th and it's a coin flip as to who they'll draft at this point. Jones may drop, but he's not dropping to 6! Lol. They're looking at a guy like Monohan or Lindholm i'm guessing. So, would that 6th overall, Calgary's 2nd rounder and prospect not be enough? I know you said a former 1st rounder, so how about this Jankowski kid? Heck, I know Baertschi is considered their best prospect, but if i'm Calgary, I might include him if it meant getting this deal done.

Just think about the 13+ page and counting thread we could have debating this 3 for 1 trade a year or two from now!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  10:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

They may be going the buyout option because a) he will not waive his NMC, or b) there is a risk of early retirement

There are several players out there that fall under the Luongo rule, and I believe that Briere would be one of them. PHI has saved 8M in cap hit over the life of his deal so far. Were he to retire now, PHI would take a cap penalty of 4M in each of the next 2 seasons. They simply cannot afford that - hence the relatively cheap buyout option for them.

Thats a good answer. Hadn't thought of Briere retiring as he only has 2 years remaining. From a press release about the buyout, he said although 2012/2013 was his most disappointing season, he still felt he could play the game at a higher level. The same article said in 2013 he was suffering linger concussion symptom's and was still at risk. I guess 35 year old smaller players with concussion history are dispossible.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  10:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is that really that steep??? Calgary picks 6th and it's a coin flip as to who they'll draft at this point. Jones may drop, but he's not dropping to 6! Lol. They're looking at a guy like Monohan or Lindholm i'm guessing. So, would that 6th overall, Calgary's 2nd rounder and prospect not be enough? I know you said a former 1st rounder, so how about this Jankowski kid? Heck, I know Baertschi is considered their best prospect, but if i'm Calgary, I might include him if it meant getting this deal done.

Just think about the 13+ page and counting thread we could have debating this 3 for 1 trade a year or two from now!!!

I think that is a steep price for one player. Let's face it, no one in this year's draft is a Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, or Doughty. The top 4-5 guys will be very good to great hockey players but I don't think any of them are worth this trade.

Calgary has #6, #22, and #28 in this year's draft and I don't see them with a pick in the 2nd round.

You are saying you would give up #6, #28, and Baertschifor the #1 pick of either Jones or MacKinnon?? As prospects, I don't put either of those guys that far ahead of Baertschi if at all.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  11:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, i probably overvalue Mackinnon. I've seen very little of him, but at one point the hype was he was "the next Crosby". Obviously that's been toned down with no guarantee he'll even be the first forward taken, little own let alone the first pick overall! If nothing else and i were going to do the deal and didn't have a second rounder, i'd either offer the 6 and 28 and NOT Baertshi but someone else (not my top prospect) OR, i'd trade down from 6 with someone else for say 9 and another pick and then send the 9, 28 (or a 2nd i'd aquire) and a prospect. All depends what Colorado would accept of course. If they want a top 10 and i could trade 6 for the 9 or 10 and a second rounder that would satisfy them, i'd consider that too.

Again, i'm not a scout, GM, etc of course, but if Mackinnon's got the potential to be anything close to a guy like Crosby then i'd take a shot at it.

Big question is, is it even Mackinnon that Calgary wants the #1 for? If it's Jones, he may be able to be had at #3, though i'd say it's gonna be very difficult to pry any of the top 3 picks away.

Lastly, anyone else hear what i mentioned the other day regarding Colorda claiming to be looking seriously at Barkov? They wouldn't really go with him at #1 would they when they could prob easily trade down a few spots and still draft him?
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i heard the same thing Alex. personally i think the Av's are just blowing some smoke up everyone's a$$. first they announce that they won't be taking Jones, now they "let it slip out" that they're targeting Barkov? personally i don't buy it. i think they're trying to stir the pot a little bit to see if it'll garner any interesting trade propositions for them. going back to Calgary, i heard that they offered all 3 of their 1st round picks to the Av's in exchange for the no. 1 pick. the Av's rejected the offer. i don't think the Av's move that pick unless it provides them with some solid immediate help. if all other avenue's fall through, and they end up keeping the pick, i think they'll take either MacKinnon or Jones.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what Calgary was trying to do was get a pick in the top 3 without giving up any of their other 1st round picks. That is laughable based on the value that draft picks have today. But you can't blame the Flames for trying. For a team to get a top 3, #6, #22, and #28 of a single draft class?? That's a big step forward.

Duke, as far as Eakins in Edmonton, I don't see a big deal coming. There might be some guys on the Marlies that Eakins might like but that doesn't mean a trade. Honest, the Oilers don't need anything the Leafs have and I mean that with all due respect. The Oilers need another defensemen to round out their top pairing, a big top 6 forward, and a few depth guys.

Who on the Leafs fit that bill and who from Edmonton would be reasonable to drop??? I would suggest that RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz are off the table. Gagner is also likely off the table. Unless the Leafs are willing to do something like JVR and Gardiner for Hemsky and the #7 pick. Maybe even throw a prospect in from the Oilers side.

I don't see that working for either team.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  19:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the leafs do now have Bernier....

Alex, i think you are absolutely right in the assumption that Bernier is not coming to the leafs for insurance. With no dis-respect in what Reimer has done for the leafs......I believe as you do, this years # 1 starter for the leafs is already Bernier`s to lose.

Nothing againist Reimer but Burke was after Luongo....Nonis went after the Kipper.....then sought out Luongo.....and now has finally nabbed Bernier, i really do pity Reimer beacuse he has seen all this happening and must be asking himself.....what do i have to do to get some trust here.........oboviouslyToronto`s GM`s have been trying to improve the net minding in leaf land for some time.......NOT SAYING THEY HAD TO,,,but they ( the GM`s ) certainly did for what-ever reason........Reimer`s glove hand is weak and he constantly gives up major rebounds but he is still pretty solid other-wise.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex and Nuxfan

I bet you will see the flyers buy out I . Bryz and make a quick move for R. Luongo..... Van will finally get their wish......but be careful what you wish for....i think Luongo is still a whale of a goalie and has plenty of gas left in him yet.....and Luongo will make a new start with a lot to prove.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  20:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alex and Nuxfan

I bet you will see the flyers buy out I . Bryz and make a quick move for R. Luongo..... Van will finally get their wish......but be careful what you wish for....i think Luongo is still a whale of a goalie and has plenty of gas left in him yet.....and Luongo will make a new start with a lot to prove.

Duke, at this point, I think most Canucks fans would wish him all the best. Sure it would sting if he went on to play lights out in the playoffs there and win a cup, but that can be said about most trades. If Bernier plays well and gets the leafs to the final next year only to see Matt Frattin put up 25 goals in the playoffs and lead the Kings over the Leafs in a sweep, Leaf fans could easily find that trade stings (even with a finals appearance). Obviously far fetched, but I think you get what i'm saying?

After all that Luongo's done here and put up with, I wish him nothing but the best moving forward!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  20:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, strong rumors flying around that Sam Gagner may soon become a leaf.

Rumored to be going the other way are either Phaneuf or Reimer with some kind of package deal associated.

What are your thoughts ?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  21:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beans, strong rumors flying around that Sam Gagner may soon become a leaf.

Rumored to be going the other way are either Phaneuf or Reimer with some kind of package deal associated.

What are your thoughts ?

my first thought is - stop reading eklund.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  06:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would surprise me if this happened as I don't think either player(s) fit the bill for what the team needs are. Kadri's play last season puts him on pace to be as good or better than Gagner in the long term. The Oilers need another defensive liability like they need another 40+ yr old Russian goaltender. And speaking of goaltenders, Reimer would do nothing but create a 1A/1B situation which most of us agree is dumb.

Nope, I think this is poppycock. The Oilers have a number of players on the block and Gagner is one of them along with Hemsky and Horcoff. Gagner is a very good 2nd line centre but the Oilers will never win with their top2 centres being on the small side of the rainbow.

Gagner will only leave Edmonton for a skilled forward with size or a legit #1 defenceman. None of those things are offered by the Leafs.

I don't see it, but I have been wrong before.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  06:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone know the official rule of the compliance buyout? i thought i heard on the radio the other day that after the final game of the season is played teams only have 48 hrs. to use their buyout options.
so that would be today and tomorrow?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  08:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Leafs need Gagner with the centers they have now, but Phaneuf might want to play in Alberta again and Edmonton could use Phaneufs shot and physical play. I don't think Reimer coming to Edmonton creates a 1a/1b scenerio, I think it creates a push to prove if either is a #1, by anything but default. I dont see this trade happening though as Gagner is not worth these 2 players, so there would have to be more moving pieces to make this happen.

quote:

It would surprise me if this happened as I don't think either player(s) fit the bill for what the team needs are. Kadri's play last season puts him on pace to be as good or better than Gagner in the long term. The Oilers need another defensive liability like they need another 40+ yr old Russian goaltender. And speaking of goaltenders, Reimer would do nothing but create a 1A/1B situation which most of us agree is dumb.

Nope, I think this is poppycock. The Oilers have a number of players on the block and Gagner is one of them along with Hemsky and Horcoff. Gagner is a very good 2nd line centre but the Oilers will never win with their top2 centres being on the small side of the rainbow.

Gagner will only leave Edmonton for a skilled forward with size or a legit #1 defenceman. None of those things are offered by the Leafs.

I don't see it, but I have been wrong before.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  08:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reports out of Edmonton are that Gagner is close to signing a multi-year deal in Edmonton. Now, that doesn't mean that a trade is still not in the works but it is more likely that it means he is staying in Edmonton for the time being.

Like I said, unless it's a big skilled forward or a legit #1 defensemen than Gagner is not going anywhere. It won't be for a goalie.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  10:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i think that C. Mac sees things diffrent than most people and is capable of doing anything....lol

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  10:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to the Blackhawks...........excellent job
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  10:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and the first axes have officially dropped....
according to TSN, Philly has bought out the contracts of both Daniel Briere and Ilya Bryzgalov.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  12:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly is clearing cap space for Luongo and will prob make a run for Clarkson.........hope the leafs win the Clarkson sweepstakes, he is good.

Whats Clowes status this off season ??......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page